It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

fufu HB Userfufu HB User
H1N1 vaccine

Too much information!
What do we do as parents? Do we inject our kids with this vaccine that is so new? unaware of the potential side effects because of the lack of time we have had to test it. I am definately not giving it to my kids, though i must admit that there are moments where i wonder, am i making the right decision?
Have the rest of you parents made a decision?What are your pediatricians recommending?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
(male)

DannyTX HB User
Re: H1N1 vaccine

I don't think so. Most of the vaccine manufacturers are putting Thimerosal in it. That is mercury, which according to an interview I watched on Fox News with a couple of doctors, is a neurotoxin.

The same news show said that there are about five different manufacturers making the vaccine. Either most or all of them are in China. Maybe it is just me, but I don't trust China.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
(female)

jdsun HB User

I was afraid of the vaccine too and had decided not to give it to my kids....UNTIL...I researched it on my own.

After doing my research I have made an apt. and my kids (age 3 and 4) will be getting the H1N1 vaccine next week!

I could go on and on, but basicallly most of the rumors out there are FALSE. The vaccine is made EXACTLY the same way as the seasonal flu vaccine. There are no additional additives. So, when people say this has not been tested properly, that is false. The basis of this vaccine has been around for over 10 years and has proved to be VERY safe. Instead of selecting the seasonal flu strains and growing them into the vaccine, they are putting the H1N1 strain into the vaccine. Everything else about the vaccine is THE SAME. In fact, if the H1N1 flu had come out a few months earlier, it would have been incorprated into the regular seasonal flu vaccine.

Here is what sold me though. 1 in 100 people who get the H1N1 flu will end up with major complications (hospitalizations). Right now there is now way of knowing who that 1 person will be. It has been healthy people with no apparent pre-existing conditions. So there is a 1 in 100 chance that my child will be that 1. Now the risk of having a reaction to the vaccine is something like 1 in 500,000 ( I cannot remember the exact number, but it is a high number). So, you have to choose where you want to take that gamble.

I am choosing to vaccinate. The risk of a potentially harmful side effect is very low. THe 1 in 100 risk is low too, but since so many young healthy people are that "1", I don't want to risk it.

You are going to hear so many rumors about how unsafe the vaccine is. People are taking about this like there is no tomorrow. MOst are hearing their information from a friend of a friend of a friend.

Do some research on your own. Research CREDIBLE sources. You will be surprised at how safe this vaccine is.

Edited to add: There is a lot of talk about the vaccine in the 70's. That was a very different vaccine. People are saying many people died from it and also got a neurological disease. If you read the data, it was a VERY small percent of people who actually had this neurological disease. So small that science could argue that these people may have been predisposed to having this condition regardless.

Best of luck to you!
Jdsun

Last edited by jdsun; 10-15-2009 at 07:30 PM.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I'd agree with jdsun. There is a good description in the last post on how the vaccine was developed.

With H1N1, it is hitting the little ones the hardest. They haven't had time to build any antibodies to help protect against this virus and they are getting worse cases than most adults. Chances of death are higher for the really young for get H1N1 than for adults. I say with the rate this virus is spreading the risks of the vaccine are lower than the risks of complications if they get the disease.

It is an individual choice though. Please weigh the needs of those your kids would be exposing as well though as you make your decision.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:39 AM   #5
(female)

jdsun HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyTX View Post
I don't think so. Most of the vaccine manufacturers are putting Thimerosal in it. That is mercury, which according to an interview I watched on Fox News with a couple of doctors, is a neurotoxin.

The same news show said that there are about five different manufacturers making the vaccine. Either most or all of them are in China. Maybe it is just me, but I don't trust China.
My doctor carries the Thimerosal free vaccination. It is available. Just make sure you ask your doctor if they carry it.

Jdsun

Old 10-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

My state is hard to find the vaccine H1N1 - I am calling everyone everyday. No doctors in the area are giving them out. So the health dept doesn't know when they will get them - this is so fustrating.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

No vaccine available in our state yet either. DH has been calling around trying to get some answers. The health department is handling all the H1N1 Vaccine and have gotten several shipments, yet nobody is receiving any for distribution yet.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:15 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

I'm on the fence as to whether I will get it. I believe young children and pregnant women though should really think about getting it though! Several young children in our area have died from it.. even an adult.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-20-2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: remove reference to deleted post

Old 10-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

We finally got vaccinated today. I am glad I did but I hope I don't hear bad things - I hope I made the right decision

Old 10-21-2009, 08:29 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

So frustrated. Apparently the county health department has distributed the vaccine to clinics AND has 3000 doses reserved for a giant flu blitz on Halloween. Call the clinic and they say it's not available and it's too much trouble to set up a waiting list for high risk patients.

Closed Thread