It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
(female)

ventcrew HB User
Question Husband & I both got pneumonia (possible swine flu)

PLEASE SOMEONE RESPOND!!! Here is my story. On Oct 5 in the evening i walked to my mailbox just down the drive. I got out of breath. I was very worried. Two hrs. later I got a temp of 101, and started coughing, aches, headache, chills. Morning of Oct. 7 went to doc. He did not test me for the flu but said I had the flu and was not sure if it was swine. Gave me tamiflu, inhaler and antibotic. About the same Wednesday and Thursday worse temp 102 more coughing. Went to doctor Oct 9 a.m. sent me for chest xray called an pneumonia but just starting. Put me on stronger antibotics, prednisone and tussinex. off work until the following thursday. totally lost my voice for 2 days and i still have laryngititis, coughing but a wee bit better everyday.

Husband: Oct 20 in evening came down with a temp of 102 and coughing. He went to work Wed (against my wishes) and when he came home temp was 103. Had a real hard time getting it down. Thursday went to doc and doc sent him right to ER cause he had pneumonia. They admitted him and kept him until Sunday morning Oct. 25. He had the exact same symptoms as me only worse. The doc had given him tamiflu in the morning just 1. In er they tested him for Influenza A and B which both came back negative. So they said they would not test him for swine. They kinda were vague with us as to what caused this. They said they did not think it was swine cause the test was negative. I asked how two other wise healthy people get pneumonia I am 52 my husband is 47. They just said it happens sometimes. They had him on iv antibotics, tylenol and oxygen.

Does this sound similar to anyone out there that had swine flu (or pneumonia). I am at wits end. Another important fact is we both work for schools. I am in a high school and have direct contact with students daily.

My husband is an electrician and goes to every school in his district but no direct contact with students. When I mentioned this to the docs they raised their eyebrows and wrotes stuff down.

Neither one of us has ever had pneumonia before. We are pretty healthy except high blood presssure (controlled by meds)

Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
(female)

irisheyes39 HB User
Re: Husband & I both got pneumonia (possible swine flu)

Just got diagnosed with flu, possibly swine today. My doctor, who was an Army doc, says that the tests can be negative and you still have it. I know this is true because the CDC website says the same thing.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Sounds like h1n1 (swine) -- Did they do a rapid flu swab on your husband? They have a very high false negative rating. Here more and more people are turned away told they don't have h1n1 based on that test only to find out via a blood test that they did have it.

Very well could be he had it and developed a secondary infection.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

What I'm hearing is if it looks like the flu then it's H1N1 because it's too early for seasonal flu. Sounds like you got it and the secondary pneumonia. Hope you are both feeling better soon!

Old 10-28-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
(female)

ventcrew HB User

Thank you all so much! My husband is back to work tomorrow. He seems to be recovering better than me. I was not in the hospital & he was but he was sicker than me. Yes they did the rapid test for Influenza A & B. They came back neg. so they said they would not test him for swine. They said that was the protocol. I really feel we had it cause neither one of us has ever gotten pneumonia. I have never seen my husband so sick. But thank God he is now on the mend and I am also.

Karen

Old 10-30-2009, 06:42 PM   #6
(female)

irisheyes39 HB User

would you say the Tamiflu really didn't help you then? I'm just wondering because they did not give me Tamiflu, said I was too far into it.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

mamaonamission HB User

Tamiflu (oseltamivir phosphate) is approved for treatment of uncomplicated influenza A and B in children 1 year of age or older. It is also approved for prevention of influenza in people 13 years or older.

It is part of a group of anti-influenza drugs called neuraminidase inhibitors, which work by blocking a viral enzyme that helps the influenza virus to invade cells in your respiratory tract.

Now, hereís the real kicker.

When used as directed (twice daily for 5 days) Tamiflu can ONLY reduce the duration of your influenza symptoms by 1 to 1 Ĺ days, according to the official data.

Thatís it!

However, some patients with influenza are at HIGHER risk for secondary bacterial infections when on Tamiflu. Which would, well, defeat the plan of being able to jump out of bed a day sooner.

The truth is, these drugs work poorly or not at all. And, with a price tag of between $135 to $190 for a one-week prescription of Tamiflu, itís the 21st Century version of phony snake oil.

For most people, the flu shot does not prevent illness, but actually does just the opposite -- it weakens your immune system and makes you more predisposed to the illness. They're also loaded with neurotoxic substances like mercury and aluminum.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:30 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

We just got a over a nasty virus. All our doctors kept telling us it was not H1n1 but how do they know?? It started as a scratchy throat then it went right into the chest with this horrible cough. Our temps went up to 102 degrees with chills and leg aches. Slight nausea, stuffy nose and we were so tired. This horrible virus took us 7 days to recover. That had to be H1n1. I never get a temp even when I had walking pneumonia last year I didn't get a temp.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:43 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

mamaonamission HB User

Having a temperature only means that your body is fighting off an illness or infection. A tempurature is your body's NATURAL immune defense of getting rid of whatever it had come in contact with. Fighting off this temp. with tylenol, advil, ect, is only INHIBITTING your bodys ability to fight off this virus/infection.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:49 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

I know about the temperature thing but I was very uncomfortable and had to take the tylenol. My son reached up to 103 degrees of course I will give him tylenol he was burning up. All I was saying is that this virus was strong because I never get a temp and haven't gotten one in years.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:12 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

mamaonamission HB User

I completely understand being uncomfortable, I am not trying to be mean. (I take tylenon when I have a headache that i cannot bare or am extremely uncomfy) And sure i would do the same for my son who is now 6 mo. old. (And who i may go ahead and mention has NEVER become sick since he has been born! (which i relate mostly to breastfeading, which i STRONGLY advocate)

Old 11-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #12
(female)

tweetemt HB User

well to begin with the swine flu test takes 7 to 14 days to come back...you both probably did have it ...It will start with sudden onset as you did describe you both hadf,fever,chill,cough,vomiting,ect. so chances are you did have it...think dr's are not telling ppl dont want big scares with this...

Last edited by moderator2; 11-08-2009 at 02:20 PM. Reason: please read the rules

Old 11-09-2009, 05:21 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User

Yes, but high fevers are also very dangerous, esp. in children so sometimes Motrin and Tylenol are a must! Not to mention, they work and help us feel comfortable so that our body CAN fight the infection or virus.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #14
(female)

BEDY HB User

I am worried due to having the same kind of breathing problems you described....I rarely get fevers even when I am sick...I am going tomorrow to get a chest xray if I have to go to the ER....dr's are very relaxed with this situation it seems....the nurse at that ENT office did not even call back today after leaving a message that I was having trouble breathing....there was a news report on in Va Beach, VA that a man who was a healthy 42 year old possibly died of the swine flu, it started with fever and went downhill from there...this is a very scary situation as I have started having trouble anyway with allergies and this past summer I began to have breathing problems after starting allergy shots.....I have never had a chest cold in my life.....always up in the sinus area...

Old 11-20-2009, 03:37 PM   #15
(female)

jan121076 HB User

hi, i was diagnosed with swine flu on the 26th October 09, i was prescribed tamiflu which i took for the 5 days. I then was diagnosed with a chest infection, prescribed amoxicillin 5oomg antibiotics for a further 5 days. it still hadn't cleared so was prescribed clarithramyacin 500mg for a further 7 days...it still had not cleared..i was then prescribed doxycycline 500mg for a further 7 days..it still did not clear..took myself to a and e in the meantime and demanded a chest x ray...it showed a '' clinical infection in the right lung. i went back to my gp and he said community acquired pnuemonia..prescribed me vwith another lot of clarythramyacin 5oomg and cefuroxime 250mg to take together..i also had 2 weeks worth of steroids to help with my breathing...5 weeks off work so far and have got 2 days left on pills and still no sign of clearing!!! i dont know what the next step is but i have never been so ill in all my life. i am a mother of 33 with 2 children and its been really hard.

Closed Thread