It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

fufu HB Userfufu HB User
H1N1 Vaccine Side Effects

I was wondering if anyone has received the H1N1 vaccine and if they showed any side effects. If anyone has any information on the reported side effects of the actual vaccine please advise.
Thank you so much
I don't know which one is scaring me more right now the actual swine flu or the vaccine itself.
Confused!!!!!!

Old 10-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: H1N1 Vaccine Side Effects

DS is 6 and got the vaccine last week. Didn't even complain that his leg hurt (where he got the shot). Info we got was just about identical to the seasonal flu vaccine sheet we received last month when we all got that shot.

From what I've heard from other people who've gotten the h1n1 vaccine they've had minor soreness in their arm from the shot itself. Otherwise no issues whatsoever.

I'm hoping to get the vaccine myself as soon as it becomes available.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2009, 03:15 PM   #3
(female)

Dawnsdays HB User

My 3 children ages 8, 6, and 3 got the nasal mist and do not have any side effects whatsoever. I keep asking them over and over if they feel bad at all. Nothing. I was very torn on doing this as well. Before I did it I asked for the package inserts to both the shot and the nasal mist. After reading what is in both (under description), I went with the mist. The mist clearly states it has no preservatives. It only has a couple of ingredients. I will list both.

H1N1 nasal mist contains 10 6.5-7.5 FFU of the live attenuated influenza virus ,porcine gelatin, 2.42 mg. arginine, 13.68mg. sucrose,2.26 mg dibasic potassium phosphate, 0.96 mg potassium phosphate, and less than 0.015mcg gentamicin sulfate.

H1N1 monovalent vaccine (shot)is inactivated with formaldehyde. 15mcg hemagglutinin of influenza v-like virus per 0.5 m. dose. gelatin is added as a stabalizer, each 0.5 ml dose may contain residual amounts of formaldehyde (not more than 100 mcg), polyethylene glycol p-isooctylphenyl ether, and sucrose. contains thimerasol added as a preservative. Each 0.5 ml dose contains 25 mcg mercury.

So there. I went with the more natural one that didn't contain mercury or formaldehyde. My kids are building immunity from the live virus. I think it is safer. Good luck to you. Don't worry to much it will be fine.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
(female)

AmberLin88 HB User

My son is 5 and he is my oldest. This was my first year with a child in public school. As if I didn't have enough to worry about last week I got a letter home stating that they would be giving the vaccination at his school and they needed a response from me as to whether or not I wanted him to have it. I knew little about the vaccine and actually hadn't put much thought into the virus itself. I went absolutly insane trying to find all information possible. After about 3 restless nights I opted to let him recieve the nasal spray form of the vaccine. He just got it Monday the 26th and has been ok so far. I still ask him everyday how he feels. Every slight cough I am feeling his head and asking more questions but so far so good. But now I am concerned about my 3 yr old and whether or not to him vaccinated. He is at home with me all day and his brother should no longer be contaguos to him. What to do, what to do. You are definatly not alone!!

Old 10-31-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

fufu HB Userfufu HB User

Thanks for your reply.
As for what to do, I pray God gives me and you and every parent out there the right answer. Hope all goes well with your child that did receive it and also for the one that didn't. Decisions usually come so easy for me when it comes to my kids, unfortunately not this time.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:46 AM   #6
(female)

Dawnsdays HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLin88 View Post
My son is 5 and he is my oldest. This was my first year with a child in public school. As if I didn't have enough to worry about last week I got a letter home stating that they would be giving the vaccination at his school and they needed a response from me as to whether or not I wanted him to have it. I knew little about the vaccine and actually hadn't put much thought into the virus itself. I went absolutly insane trying to find all information possible. After about 3 restless nights I opted to let him recieve the nasal spray form of the vaccine. He just got it Monday the 26th and has been ok so far. I still ask him everyday how he feels. Every slight cough I am feeling his head and asking more questions but so far so good. But now I am concerned about my 3 yr old and whether or not to him vaccinated. He is at home with me all day and his brother should no longer be contaguos to him. What to do, what to do. You are definatly not alone!!
I say get your 3 yr. old vaccinated too. My 3 kids and husband all recieved the nasal mist and I thought I didn't need it because I never get the seasonal flu and if they were all vaccinated I wouldn't be at risk. Well guess what? I have the swine flu right now. I started with the chills Friday night. Then a screaming headache that wouldn't go away even with motrin. My glands in my neck are so swollen I feel like I can barely swallow my tea. I can't imagine my 3 yr. old going through this. It is awful. I feel like I'm on my deathbed. I did get put on tamiflu yesterday, so I hope this kicks in soon. My kids are running around all sugared up on Halloween candy. And I just lay in bed suffering. The night sweats are awful. My body aches so bad. I have no idea how I got this flu. I was using hand sanitizer constantly. I used it at least 5 times while grocery shopping. This flu hits you hard. If you can prevent your little one from getting it, I think you should. I pray this doesn't lead to anything else, like pneumonia. You don't want to see your little one go through this. Good luck!

Old 11-01-2009, 03:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

I wish I could have confirmed if I had swine flu or not - all the doctors kept saying I didn't have it. I had a cough, body aches, temp, and tired. My kids got it worse. We were very careful about where we went and always used hand sanitizer like you did. My husband brought it home to us. We are on day 8 and now feeling better. It attacked our chest and we thought we all were going to die because it makes you feel like you just been run over. I guess the doctors don't know much about it so they just said it wasn't swine flu. I mean it sure does sound like what we had and I can't imagine getting this again and feeling the same way again. We all got the swine flu shot. You see it is too early for the seasonal flu and CNN reported if you are suffering right now from flu symptoms it is most likely swine flu. The thing is - it spread so fast. I kept away from my husband and put him in a seperate room in the house and left his food outside the door. Still it spread like wild fire.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-01-2009 at 03:25 PM. Reason: needless quote

Old 11-30-2009, 10:55 AM   #8
(male)

gbcontrol HB User

My friends 7 year old daughter received the nasal mist H1N1 vaccine a week ago and is now experiencing mild seizures. They began about 24 hours ago with some minor eye rolling with an associated head pull towards the same side. In the last 12 hours they have increased in frequency. She has no history of seizures and was fever free during these events.

She is undergoing a complete workup today (CT Scan, EEG, MRI).

Does anyone know of similar side effects from this vaccine? I have searched the National Vaccine Data Base but have found very little and feel the vaccine is so new that the info may yet to have filtered in.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:43 PM   #9
(male)

COLC HB User

I would like to add my experience to this thread, I have had an annual flu vaccination for many years (mainly because I am 74 YO and suffer from asthma) without any side effects. A couple of weeks ago I had a swine flu vax, 6 days later I developed severe flu symptoms; aches and pains, sweats, congestion, sore throat even my eyeballs ached, a couple of days later I developed conjunctivitis for the first time in my life. It is now almost two weeks since the vax and I am still far from well, to say the least I am disillusioned.
I have another concern also, I understand that next year the normal Flu Vax is to include the Swine Flu Vax, if so that rules me out for future vaccinations

Old 12-15-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
(female)

relteach HB User

I am sorry to hear that you became ill shortly after vaccination, however, since H1N1 takes up to 10 days for incubation, it is more likely than not that you were exposed to the virus before vaccination. This new strain of virus is prepared the same way as the seasonal flu viruses used in the seasonal flu vaccine. To automatically rule out next year's flu shot just because it will contain H1N1 is a bit premature. Regardless of the type of flu shot, they are not 100% effective. More than likely, even if you had not had the shot, you became infected and are now feeling the effects of the virus. Take good care of yourself.
Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:49 PM   #11
(male)

COLC HB User

Thanks for reply, I live in small country town; there has not been an reported incident of Swine Flu within probably 50 miles and I had not been off my property for probably a week prior to the vax. I am afraid that I could never be convinced that my problems are not due to the vax, I had a severe cold about 6 weeks ago which in itself is unusual as I rarely suffer from colds or flu but to have two in that time is unusual in the extreme.
As for the incubation period there are differing opinions but in defence of my belief I quote the following

"Swine Flu Incubation Period
The White House said it was 24-48 hours. In general, the incubation period for the influenza virus (all types of flu) is 2 days, but can range from 1 to 5 days. In most US cases, the incubation period for swine flu seems to range from 2 to 7 days. "

Old 12-18-2009, 11:45 AM   #12
(female)

lkneller HB User

Yesterday, my son 9 years, and I both went to a clinic here in Canada for H1N1 shots. We have had seasonal flu shots, both of us, in the past without any side effects or reactions, no soreness, no tenderness, non eventful.

Both my son and I had very sore upper arms last evening, so bad they awoke us during the night and we took Ibuprophen to dull the pain. My son had a slight headache during the night also.

The pain has lessened this morning and his headache is gone but still there is pain at the injection site. Not a bruising pain from the needle but a muscular ache inside the upper arm and tenderness around the injection site when touched even slightly.

I am sure this will pass and is very little in trade for what could save our lives in the long run.

There is lots of controversy here in Canada about whether to immunize for H1N1 or not, lots of rumours of conspiracy and lots of rumours of horrific side effects. There are also deaths here from the Virus. In our province 51 to date 44 with underlying health conditions and 7 without.

We have had a flu like Virus, identified as H1N1 but not lab confirmed, in my son's elementary school that presented symptoms of H1N1, three weeks out of school, no vomiting, beginning with a powerful headache, high fever, legarthy and severe chest congestion followed by a week long dry hacking cough. Family Physician confirmed H1N1 likely but no lab test performed.

Just a 35 minute drive away, a family this week lost a 10 year old daughter in three days to heart failure after a three day bout of flu like symptoms. They thought she was recovering and on day three when they went to wake her to attend school she had passed away in her sleep. She had been suffering from an untested flu virus and had an unknown underlying heart condition. They originally thought she had died from H1N1 but autopsy shows reason for death is the underlying heart condition. Family was unaware of this condition.

Yesterday at the local clinic, well staffed and prepared for an ambush, I was told they had only 100 clients requesting the vaccine. The vaccine is free here in British Columbia. This is a general clinic, there have been two previously for high risk clients and there was another yesterday in the same city at an alternative location which may have influenced the low turn out but health authorities were surprised at the lack of response. Health Canada is recommending the vaccine for all Canadians.

There is a general feeling here that the vaccine is too late and the worst is over. I researched whether to immunize or not prior to the decision and the nightmares of the vaccine appear to lack substantial evidence. The benefits of the vaccine if the virus is contracted the vaccine could save your life or your child's.

I am a big personal believer that when your time is up it's up, but if offered a security option, I always think that the universe is giving me a choice.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:29 PM   #13
(female)

Sweety2002 HB User

I know this might be a stupid question, but is GOUT a side effect of the vaccine?? Or more specific, a gout flare up?? Gout was diagnosed years before the vaccine came out, but a day after the vaccine was administered, the gout flared up.

By the way, it's not me that is suffering from gout, it is an elderly man.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:17 PM   #14
(male)

COLC HB User

I do suffer from gout but have not had an attack for many years, the vax did not affect me in that way; just as well I had enough side effects to cope with as it was!!

Closed Thread