It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2009, 02:30 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Sillygrl HB UserSillygrl HB User
Fear of Vomiting

For those who have had a confirmed case of the Swine Flu-did you vomit?? I am seriously so afraid of vomiting it is ridiculous!! Is this a major symptom? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Re: Fear of Vomiting

Some people have vomiting and some don't. Mainly, it starts with a cough and scratchy throat. Other symptoms follow. I think I have it now and I got a queasy stomach but my daughter had vomiting but it wasn't bad. She also has a fear of vomiting but got through it. We just ate chicken broth, water, lots of fluids and didn't worry about food as long as we got the fluids down.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

I guess it really depends on the person. I have heard of more cases involving vomiting with children. I also have a friend who vomited because she was coughing so hard, not due to nauseousness. I guess I will just have to calm down and deal.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
(female)

dani11 HB User

I have emetophobia and am EXTREMELY afraid of throwing up. You should check that out at emetophobia.org if you haven't already. I ALWAYS knock on wood.
I'm horrified that I could throw up from swine or any general stomach bug. I had the vaccine this morning and people started telling me that they've heard that some of the people who have received the shot are getting sick to their stomach. So now I'm living to get through each minute worried.
I completely understand where you are coming from and have wondered the same thing. I was actually on here to see if I could find out if anyone really is getting sick from the vaccine.
Has anyone heard anything?

Old 10-28-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

I am glad there is someone else out there like me. I am afraid of throwing up, hearing it, seeing it, you name it. I know that I have heard everyone is different, so it just depends. I am OCD and "just depends" is never a phrase I like to hear. From the people I have talked to, more have not thrown up, but who knows! Ugh I am going crazy.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:06 PM   #6
(female)

sh 08 HB User

sigh it is so nice to know i am not alone!!! although i wish this on no one!!! i would rather die and suffer than vomit! its stupid but horrible to have to think this way and ironically i am not concerned about the flu or ventilators or death i am only worried about the vomiting!!! how warped is that??!?!?!?! i am getting the shot next week although i was super against it i figure i want my kids to be protected oh and to prevent vomiting for me i went to that site about emetophobia and the symptoms and avoidance is so me and i am sure many others!!! it is a good site to go to just to actually see living proof of others with it not to mention you can go down lists and say wow i get that and that and that...then you realize you aren't crazy!!! i would rather have a limb amputated than vomit! although when we do vomit i always remember thinking after that really wasn't as bad as i worked it up to be!! my thing is the waiting and the pre vomit feeling....it is hell!!! BUT funny thing is it doesn't prevent me from drinking (a bottle or 2 of red wine) on a fun night out!

Old 10-29-2009, 12:28 AM   #7
(female)

tyvin HB User

Whatever the reason, I am also one who has an intense fear of vomiting. I will go through hours of stomach ache just to avoid it. The last time I ended up vomiting I immediately felt better after. It doesn't change anything. I will still avoid the up chuck at all costs. You are not alone, I know many people whom are the same way. Emetophobia as referred to before is correct. Phobias are part of life and depending on how severe it is, need to be delt with accordingly. I am also afraid of heights but neither one warrents mental health intervention. Good luck.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:18 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

I had the vaccine and my kids and we never were nauseated. Like I said earlier I think we have swine flu now but no doctor can confirm it. I feel we got a mild version and the vaccine protected us. The coughing is what makes you feel nauseated. The mucus from your chest keeps going up to the throat and then you swallow it which then gets into your stomach and makes you feel nauseated. Actually, my son has had a great appetite during this flu but my daughter did not. Now I have the worse stomach ever! Even when I am not sick I get nauseated because I have no gall bladder. Bile causes me to get nauseated. So with this flu my stomach was very quiet and I was shocked. The best thing you can do for yourself is not to worry and I know it is hard to do with all the media attention. I just have been taking each day as it comes. Trying to survive.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:17 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

I am so glad there are others out there who worry about vomiting the same as me. Is there anyone who has had Swine flu? Did you vomit? Three out of the four people I have known who have had it, did not vomit. Those are some pretty good statistics.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:24 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

digmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB User

I have it and I'm not nauseous at all. Just a really bad, horrible dry cough, runny nose, sneezing, fevers/chills, and really really weak and have low energy. I gagged when I was brushing my teeth this morning but I haven't felt nauseous at all otherwise. Why are you so scared of vomiting? It's not pleasant, but it only lasts a minute and then you feel better. Then again, I have OCD too and I know better than most that there is no place for logic when it comes to OCD.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:55 PM   #11
(female)

dani11 HB User

The fear isn't rational. I like to think of myself as an intellegent woman. The thing is though, is that as much logic as I have, the fear is stronger. I can say to myself, " It's not that bad, you won't die from it, you feel better after" but it doesn't hold any weight when it comes to a phobia. I would love to think that way and really believe it. Having this phobia has consumed my life, I don't kiss my son, I hate going out in very public places, I've left work because people were sick, I could keep going. It isn't anything anyone would wish upon themselves.
Most people with phobias also have OCD. It's a coping mechanism. If I do "this" then "this" won't happen.
I had the vaccine two days ago and I feel horrible today. My head hurts, I have a dry cough and sore throat, aches, and a pain in my stomach, oh and fatigue. I'm scared. I understand completely what the person said earlier about not being worried about the ventilators or possibly dying. I would take my chances with that instead of vomiting. Again, it isn't rational, it just is what it is.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:44 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Dani, I am the same exact way! If my bf says his stomach hurts, I freak. I ask him ten million questions about how it hurts, where it hurts, etc. If someone says they were/are sick I ask, "what KIND of sick", praying they don't say throwing up sick. I have also left work if I hear someone is not feeling well. The fear is not rational, but it is there and it just is. I am not scared at all of getting strep or any other illness. I was not scared of Swine Flu at all until I heard that a lot of people were throwing up with it. Now, if people are coughing and sneezing I freak. Ugh I am sick of the worry.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #13
(female)

silentwarrior HB User

Hi there.

I currently have the H1N1 virus and still have nausea but the vomiting has ended. The vomiting for me lasted 2 days. My Hubby also has the flu but has only been slightly nauseous but no vomiting for him but he has only vomited twice in his 46 years of life.

If you do fall ill with this nasty flu and experience nausea I recommend the following. If the nausea is mild to moderate sipping flat gingerale can help. Keeping crackers (for me saltines work best) near your bed also can help. I found an organic natural ginger tea that is quite strong tasting but WOW works wonders. For some people sucking on mints help as well (not for me but my Mom swears by it) and eating Bryers NATURAL choc. chip MINT ice cream may help. If the nausea is a bit too severe for all that I find putting ice chips in my mouth and lying perfectly still helps.

For severe nausea and/or vomiting there are RX meds that can help. My Docs gave me phenergan injections (also comes in pills and suppositories) to help control my vomiting and nausea. Warning...this med makes you very sleepy but if ya have the flu....rest is good right?

I try to avoid RX meds for it because I feel vomiting is a way to purge the ickiness out of ya but it was getting too severe and causing dehydration so I listened to the Docs.

None of that helps with a FEAR of vomiting but maybe it will be a little bit comforting to know there are things to make your nausea less annoying?

I do know many people don't even get the nausea with this flu let alone vomit so I pray you DON'T get this flu but if you DO...I pray you get to skip the GI symptoms entirely.

Wishing you health,

SW

Old 11-08-2009, 05:20 AM   #14
(female)

ocdsux108 HB User

I too have emetophobia and am petrified of getting this or any type of bug that makes me "stomach sick". I am 36 weeks pregnant and did get the vaccine 1-1/2 weeks ago. Apparently it takes 2 weeks for it to "kick in" so I worry day in and day out!!! I'm actually more afraid of my daughter being sick with it than myself. She had a nasty stomach bug in April that lasted nearly 2 weeks (Rotavirus??) and ever since...every single day...I wonder...is this the day she will vomit again?? UGH! Being emetophobic for most of my life is terrible & with the hype over this swine flu, I've become a more paranoid person. The few people I know who had it didn't say anything about their stomachs...most of the people are 14 and under and had a high fever for a week or so. My boss's son has it and really has NO symptoms except aches and fever. I'm sorry but as an "emet", i will certainly take that over nausea and vomiting any day!!! I hope and pray all of you and your families stay well!

Old 11-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

You know, I wonder about the vomiting part of swine flu.... is it an actual symptom, or is it that the high fevers are causing it?

Like if my kids get high fevers, certain foods cause them to throw up.... usually dairy that will curdle in their feverish tummies, or if I give them juice from the fridge, I think the cold hitting their hot feverish tummy can just be explosive! But occasionally other random stuff, like spaghetti, hot dogs, eggs, etc.... will do it to them too! So the minute I know they have any fever, we go straight to the BRAT diet (with a few modifications.... like we have chicken noodle soup and I'll add some canned chicken breast to the rice, and saltines are good.... mild stuff like that....) and they stay on it until they're fever free for 24 hours.... we've managed to avoid most upset stomach issues that way.

Anyway, if you are afraid of vomiting, and you get swine flu, you might try sticking with a modified BRAT diet for the duration of your fever, and see if that helps.

Last edited by marisuela; 11-08-2009 at 11:14 AM.

Closed Thread