It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
(female)

soapies777 HB User
Swine flu shot or not

Dr told me and my son 16 yr old we both have asthma to get swine flu shot. Should we or not? Anyone had bad side effects?

Old 10-29-2009, 08:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: Swine flu shot or not

DS got the shot a week ago and no problems. Unlike with the seasonal flu shot, he didn't even complain of soreness at the vaccination site.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
(female)

Dawnsdays HB User

My son who is 6 has asthma. I have had him under control with it. He hasn't had an attack in about a year. They said he needed the shot. I read the ingredients on the shot and the nasal mist. I decided to risk him having an asthma attack and give him the nasal mist like my other 2 kids. I did have to sign a waiver saying I wouldn't hold them responsible if he had an asthma attack. The CDC paper says anyone under 5 yrs. with asthma shouldn't get the nasal mist. So they gave all 3 the mist and no problems. It is a live virus, but it is weakend so your not supposed to get the full blown flu. You can get flu like symptoms, but nothing compared to if you didn't get the mist and got the swine flu. The night after I got the mist....nothing. The following day my 3 yr. old was a little crabby and whiny and took a long nap. The other 2 kids were fine. The next night my 8 yr. old complained of a tummy ache for about a half an hour. Then she said it went away. Now they are acting like their same rambunctious selfs. Healthy, energetic, and safe from the swine flu. Not even an inkling of wheezing in my asthmatic son. So I'm glad I made the decision I did. Especially since I know 5 kids in the area who are on Prednisone steroids because the swine flu was so bad in their lungs they were having trouble breathing.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
(female)

Dawnsdays HB User

To add to my post...... I choose the mist over the shot because the shot has mercury and formeldehyde in it. I figured one asthma attack was better than injecting him with those 2 toxins. Thankfully the mist didn't do a thing to his asthmatic lungs!

Old 10-30-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

CW1984 HB User

I would say absolutely if you have asthma! I'm taking my son (11 months old) today to get his H1N1 shot. It's the mercury free version. If the nercury really bothers you then you can shop around for the preservative free version which would be difficult. I know some pediatrician's offices have only preservative free shots. Oh and there's more mercury in a can of tuna (like 2or 3 times more) then a flu shot.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
(female)

Laura608 HB User

We cannot get the shot next week because they are running out of what we need here in ontario canada

Closed Thread