It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
(female)

kbugg HB User
H1N1 what are your children's experiences

My son (he will be 10) has been sick with "a flu" since last Friday night. He started w/dry cough and aches. He received the H1N1 vaccine (along w/his sister) last Friday - so when he started with a fever last Friday night, I assumed it was from the shot. Not the case. He had the fever for 2 1/2 days. He had an asthma flare-up beginning Saturday night. His fever went down Sunday, but it went WAY down to 93-94 degrees. The on-call doctor told me to get him warm - he felt hot and was sweating, but his skin was cold and clammy. He was shivering. It took me 4 hours of laying on top of him w/several layers of clothing and blankets, for his temp to go back up to 96-97. Next he required nebulizer treatments every 1 1/2 hours...so we were sent to the ER - They gave him prediscone for asthma (this med usually works quickly to control it) He is still wheezing and although we hear popping and clicking noises in his back, the doctors tell us his lungs are clear. He has been sick several times throughout his life. This is by far, the longest stretch of such severe sickness. We are still watching and waiting to see what happens next. Will he be well soon? Does any of this sound familiar?

Old 10-30-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Re: H1N1 what are your children's experiences

We got our swine flu shots last Tuesday. Last Friday my husband brought home a nasty virus. It spread so fast. It starts with a scratchy throat, fever, and then a horrible cough. Felt like stabbing knives going up your throat. We all went to the doctors and our chests are clear. Meanwhile our whole county is coming down with this same virus. All our doctors have said it is not H1n1 but it matches the symptoms. My son's fever reached 103 degrees 4 nights ago and he still has a temp of 99 degrees. We hate taking naps during the day because you feel worse when you get up. We have all slept in a upright position and experiences chills and sweating at the same time. So we are on day 6 and still can't shake this virus. I had to take my son back to the doctors again today and they say no congestion. Doesn't H1n1 cause congestion in the chest.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
(female)

shawn1967 HB User

Well, I have 3 sick and have all started different times. I am also sick and am having a horrible time getting over it. I'm not used to even being sick. I don't think I have been to the dr for being sick in over 3 years.

My 5 year old daughter: Has had it for 10 days now. The first 2 days were a high fever. Then it went from being 99.5-101 for the next 5 days or so. The last 2 days she has been running low grade temps at night. I took her to the dr last week and H1N1 was confirmed (because she already had the regular flue vac). Tonight her fever is around 99.5 so it's getting better. But I'm still worried. Dr did not seemed concerned at all last week.

My son who has asthma with a history of pnomonia came down with it Tuesday afternoon. 2 days with fever. He has gotten up to 101 today but is now fever free. Still getting breathing treatments every 4 hours. He says he feels great. But I'm worried because I keep hearing that you feel great and then you get sick again (which is what totally happened to me).

My 12 year old came down with it on Wednesday. Never a high fever. Just low grade and cough. She seems not to affected by it.

I have never had a problem with low fever. Or with hearing clicking noises. And I did not know you could give breathing treatments that close together. What's his cough like now? Did he get better and then get worse?

Old 10-31-2009, 02:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn1967 View Post
Well, I have 3 sick and have all started different times. I am also sick and am having a horrible time getting over it. I'm not used to even being sick. I don't think I have been to the dr for being sick in over 3 years.

My 5 year old daughter: Has had it for 10 days now. The first 2 days were a high fever. Then it went from being 99.5-101 for the next 5 days or so. The last 2 days she has been running low grade temps at night. I took her to the dr last week and H1N1 was confirmed (because she already had the regular flue vac). Tonight her fever is around 99.5 so it's getting better. But I'm still worried. Dr did not seemed concerned at all last week.

My son who has asthma with a history of pnomonia came down with it Tuesday afternoon. 2 days with fever. He has gotten up to 101 today but is now fever free. Still getting breathing treatments every 4 hours. He says he feels great. But I'm worried because I keep hearing that you feel great and then you get sick again (which is what totally happened to me).

My 12 year old came down with it on Wednesday. Never a high fever. Just low grade and cough. She seems not to affected by it.

I have never had a problem with low fever. Or with hearing clicking noises. And I did not know you could give breathing treatments that close together. What's his cough like now? Did he get better and then get worse?

Just don't worry you are doing everything possible to take care of your children. I am in the same boat. My son had a 99.8 yesterday and I had to take him to the doctor again yesterday. This is the 7th day with it. You think you feel good and then it makes you feel tired and cranky again. My kids doc said it takes about 10 days to really feel good. We will still have the cough for about a month though. This thing made me worry sick but I have to relax now.

this is so weird - I never had a fever since I was kid. It seems each day you get better but it is a slow process. I hate taking naps because you wake up feeling worse. This is my birthday weekend and we all are laying on the couches. We can't move much. My doctor keeps insisting that it was not H1n1. I want to exercise so bad but my lungs are too weak.

My 13 year old just got the cough and a low grade fever too. I am telling you this is weird. The cough feels like knives stabbing in your chest.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:11 AM   #5
(female)

kbugg HB User

My son felt a little better last monday - good enough to shoot hoops for about 5 minutes....then he couldn't breathe and his chest hurt - so he had to stop (funny - he mentioned knives in his chest also). Wednesday, he was worse again - no fever - but asthma was really bad and dry cough on top and he was very tired. Today, he is much better then he was - but I still keep waiting for another turn....I don't trust this flu or whatever it is. He is very tired and grouchy, still wheezing, but he ate breakfast and is walking around. To answer the question, can you give nebulizer treatments that frequently. I didn't think so, he was always every 4-6 hours, but when I took him to the ER Sunday, the DR. said it is more dangerous NOT to give frequent treatments if he is having an asthma attack. This was news to me. I thought I was over-dosing him. Knock on wood - My six year old, my husband, and I have NOT gotten it yet.....

Old 10-31-2009, 08:43 PM   #6
(female)

shawn1967 HB User

My 8 year old who has asthma has been sick since Wednesday. He is not bad all the time. Tonight he played but did not go trick or treating. The abuteral makes him hyper. And then he will crash. I'm afraid to send him back to school until I know he is going to be OK.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:43 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I just kept my kids in the house for a total of 8 days which includes tomorrow. We decided to do a little party of our own tonight. My son is finally snapping out of it and returning to normal. I just don't want them to pick up another virus while they are recovering from this one. They still have the nasty cough. I just kept a close eye on them. I took my son to the doctor again on Friday so the doctor could hear his chest and it was clear. So if you don't feel comfortable sending your child to school because you feel they may still be sick then I wouldn't. This virus comes in waves - you think you feel ok and then BOOM! your tired again.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:33 AM   #8
(female)

Dawnsdays HB User

Definitely experiencing the bad night sweats and chills. Also, a severe sore throat. No cough yet, but I'm only on day 2. Dizzy, nausiea, body aches, severe headache the first day. I'm on tamiflu, so I hope it doesn't get to much worse.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:31 AM   #9
(female)

Monikababy HB User

My 13 year old son just got sick yesterday, he just had the swine flu shot on Wednesday, and he started with a bad cough and fever, body aches, a light headache and tired. He had fever twice yesterday, his highest was 101.7. I started him on Tamiflu yesterday, only once dose so far. My daughter and I had the flu bad the last few weeks and I am so afraid he will get as sick as I was (I still have a cough and headache).

Today, he has no fever and his cough is quiet, so I have him im bed resting. I am not sure to continue with the Tamiflu or any other medicines since he seems to be doing better, does anyone know if I should give him Tamiflu today too or just wait?

Last edited by Administrator; 11-01-2009 at 05:38 PM.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am not sure of the Tamiflu - but please try not to worry just try to take each as it comes. I know it is hard. This shall pass very soon and you guys will be all better. Just watch him carefully because this comes in waves. I notice I felt good one day and I was down and tired the next. I am on Day 8 and starting to really feel good now.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:12 AM   #11
(female)

shawn1967 HB User

My 5 year old is going back to school today after missing 7 school days. She had a fever for 10 and has been fever free for 2 days now. I think she is ready to go back.

I thought my 12 year old was ready to go back since she did not run a fever on Saturday. But of course last night she started a low grade again so I'm keeping her home (day 4 of missed school).

8 year old asthma child is definitely staying home today. I'm not sure how many days he will miss but I worry about him going back too soon.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:07 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

You should continue to give him the tamiflu even though symptoms have gotten better. Not only does Tamiflu reduce them and amount of time you get sick, but also helps him not to be as contagious to others.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:51 PM   #13
(female)

shawn1967 HB User

Did all your kids get better and then get worse again?

My 2 girls (and myself) all felt good after being sick for about 3 days or so. We each got worse and the fever came back. I was told that was normal.

My son has been fever free since last night. He is the one with asthma. He wants to go to school tomorrow but I'm scared to send him. My 12 year old was perfectly fine on Saturday after being sick for 3 days. Today (Monday) she started another fever. She said she feels worse than she did before.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:43 AM   #14
(female)

gsmom HB User

I am trying to figure out if my kids had the swine flu. My kids 9, 5, and 2 all came down with it at different times, they had sudden onset of fever and chills, nausea and vommiting, muscle aches and headache. They never had a cough though but all ended up with a sore throat. The fever only lasted for about 36 hours but all of them had a fever of 104 at one point. My husband even got it and had a sore throat for 3 days afterwards. My question is could this be swine flu even though none of them had a cough?

Old 11-03-2009, 06:08 AM   #15
(female)

Dawnsdays HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monikababy View Post
My 13 year old son just got sick yesterday, he just had the swine flu shot on Wednesday, and he started with a bad cough and fever, body aches, a light headache and tired. He had fever twice yesterday, his highest was 101.7. I started him on Tamiflu yesterday, only once dose so far. My daughter and I had the flu bad the last few weeks and I am so afraid he will get as sick as I was (I still have a cough and headache).

Today, he has no fever and his cough is quiet, so I have him im bed resting. I am not sure to continue with the Tamiflu or any other medicines since he seems to be doing better, does anyone know if I should give him Tamiflu today too or just wait?
I was told to take tamiflu until all of it is finished. The virus could mutate and become stronger and it could do more harm than good to stop. Also, your child could become resistant to the medicine and it wouldn't work if he needs it the next time. This information was given to me by two different pharmacists and i read it online.

Closed Thread