It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
(female)

gal_PA HB User
Could i have swine or just plain old flu

I'm a cashier in a grocery store (I may have been infected through customer contact). On Fri, I arose with a plugged ear (which happens from time-to-time from ear wax buildup) but; otherwise, I felt perfectly fine all day. Late Fri afternoon, toward the end of my shift, I started experiencing neck strain radiating up the back of my head w/an intense headache.

Sat. morning, I arose w/a sore throat, a tight cough (nothing intense), sneezing (nothing major), mild muscle aches, intense headache, fatigue, achy eyes and frequent urination (going every half hour or so).

By Sun. afternoon, I had all the same symptoms, but they didn't seem to increase in intensity.

Mon., I arose w/sweating (soaking wet) &chills so I took my temp (mild fever of 99 degrees); still the fatigue & cough (productive). Upon massaging my shoulders, due to the aches, I noticed two smaller than pea-size proportional bumps on them. I sort of felt like I was feeling better, or hopeful I was, so I could return to work. I thought I should give myself one more day so I wouldn't infect anyone.

Arose yesterday morning totally drenched in sweat/chills, fever of 99.6 degrees, fatigue, coughing, mild headache. Fever's been holding between 99.2 and 99.6 degrees with ibuprofen. Haven't gone long enough w/out ibuprofen to know the true temp. The bump on the right shoulder was still present; the other faded.

This morning arose w/the same symptoms; sweating/chills, fever (99.6), headache, coughing, still the bump on right shoulder, sore throat's gone.

I'm not sure about the sweating/chills since I'm menopausal and it's something I'm used to. I never took my temp when experiencing this in the past, just when I became sick. Can your temp go up when having menopausal symptoms?

I think its really odd to have no fever at the onset of flu-like symtoms, then 3 days later, start to feel better & suddenly develop a fever. I've never experienced anything like this before. I don't normally get fevers when I'm sick and I've never, in my adulthood, been sick and out of work for so long.

I'm starting to worry this might be swine. I don't have health insurance so I'm hesitant to see Dr and spend $75 (considering I just missed 4 and possibly 5 days of work) only to be told it's got to run its course.

Any thoughts? Should I worry and seek medical attention? Thanks alot.

Last edited by gal_PA; 11-04-2009 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Added symptoms I forgot

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2009, 06:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User
Re: Could i have swine or just plain old flu

Sounds like the flu, one or the other. Yes, the fever can come on after some of the other symptoms start. Also, the fever can continue for 4-5 days. Rest, take plenty of liquids and if things get worse, you will have to see someone.

As far as menopausal symptoms, you may have the sweats due to that but a fever of 99.6 or so will also cause the sweats. And, since you have the other symptoms, my guess is the flu, or whatever virus, is the cause.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

You don't think it is swine but I just got over what the person described. If swine flu is worse gosh I would probably die. I thought I was dying with the virus I just got over.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-04-2009 at 02:48 PM. Reason: needless quoting

Old 11-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

It could be the Swine Flu but I can't say that it is... I am not a physician nor have I seen her. Even the so called authorities can not tell her without a test.

It would be great if we all got a slight case of the flu because then we could quit worrying about it and we wouldn't need another shot.

Who knows?

Old 11-05-2009, 08:25 AM   #5
(female)

renie2 HB User

I'm with Gigi on this. I can't imagine ever being sicker with a flu than I was this time - 14 days of fever, chills, crushing headaches, body aches, lower back pain (excruciating), ab pain, running nose, sore throat, coughing for weeks, nausea, but the worst is the absolute total weakness - no energy to move off the couch for 2 weeks. No help from any of the 4 doctors I called/saw either.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:23 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

i had no help from my doctor either. My husband lost his voice and I still feel lousy when I get up in the morning. It was almost two weeks ago. It is like a residue is still leftover. What a virus!

Last edited by moderator2; 11-06-2009 at 01:39 PM. Reason: needless quote

Old 11-21-2009, 02:32 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

engineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB User

Sounds like it's time to get a new doctor Robin......
I work in a hospital an our infection control guy says 90% of the flue cases we see right now ARE the H1N1.... becasue it's the predominant strain .

Closed Thread