It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2009, 05:48 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

dolejaly HB User
Should I be on a antibiotic?

I don't know what I have, but I do know since Oct 13 my house has been hit off and on and continuing..My 18 yr old severely disabled child is still down for the count, my 8 yr old daughter is finally back up on her feet after missing over a week of school...Now me, I was doing fine up until Halloween night, I started to feel body aches all over, I knew it wasn't my usual medical problems of chronic pain...and by the next morning I had a full blown congestive cough and a stuffed up nose, this just came on so suddenly. it almost feels as if I have pneumonia....I have a headache, feel as if someone ran over my body, not once but several times..I have ran a low grade fever..Well I decided to go to the doctors and of course I had to see the PA and she told me that it is a virus and has to run its course and it could take up to 10 days....Well what is weird is when I was always told that if you are coughing up or blowing your nose and it is discolored such as green/yellowish that it is signs of an infection...Well the PA told me that an antibiotic won't help me, which I am thinking it might be helpful being I am showing signs of infections.....Maybe she is right, I don't know, maybe this discoloration isn't signs of infection, and it is the flu..but, if a antibiotic might work shouldn't I try calling the doctors again and see about getting on something or should I just wait out the 10 days.....I have little ones at home to take care of and I know as soon as my disabled son was showing signs of yellow/greenish exiting from his nose the doctor put him on an antibiotic quickly and he is doing much better, his nose congestion is gone....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2009, 08:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: Should I be on a antibiotic?

Antibiotics are only effective against bacterial infections, not viral infections, as the flu is.

If you are concerned about the possibility that you may have a secondary infection that is a bacterial infection, ask your doctor.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

fufu HB Userfufu HB User

You're right, in most cases yellow or green secretions from the nose are usually sinus infections those are caused by bacteria and require antibiotics. If your secretions get worse or you feel really congested or any pain on cheekbones or under your eyes or bad headaches, then you should go back to the doctor. Hope you feel better.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

dolejaly HB User

I called my doctor today and described the constant congested and coughing up flem along w/ the nose blowing(thank goodness for puffs plus)...he felt that there was an infection going on in addition to the viral, so he did call in an antibiotic....The only problem was I took it, which was doxycycline hyclate, and a half hour later I threw up, after that I felt fine again, is that medicine known to make you sick?

Closed Thread