It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2009, 06:11 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Live-Life-to-Love HB User
Against Swine Flu but kid has Asthma...what to do?

I have read over and over again how the flu vaccines and the new Swine Flu vaccine can be bad for you in years to come and that a better alternative is to pump up your immune system with all good herbs and vitamins. I totally agree BUT......

What if you had a child with bad asthma. And you live in a small community where the swine flu has hit hard recently. Do you start them on Vitamin D, C etc...NOW and hope they don't get the swine flu? I'm leaning towards just getting her protected and choosing the lesser of two evils. But it's heartbreaking to me, not sure if I am doing the right thing either way. Terrible position to be in.

After reading all the posts about the negativity of vaccines (specially the swine flu one), I wonder if any of these people are or have children who have conditions such as asthma and would still obstain from the vaccines if they were put in the position to choose to vaccinate or not.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Against Swine Flu but kid has Asthma...what to do?

The Flu is a virus. If it enters one's body through the nose, or mouth, or lungs, then all of the Vitamin C and all of the Vitamin D won't be able to stop those little Flu Virus Parasites from attaching to the cells within someone's body, and then causing all kinds of harm.

You've got to weigh the risk of a possible, future Immune System Dysfunction, against the very real current risk of increased Asthma, breathing, and lung problems for your son.

If it was me, I would follow what the local doctors and schools are saying to do, and trust that they are acting in my family's best interest.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live-Life-to-Love View Post
After reading all the posts about the negativity of vaccines (specially the swine flu one),
The risk of serious problems from the vaccine is orders of magnitude less than the risk of getting the flu and having serious problems from the flu, especially for one with asthma.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User

I am right there with you. My three year old has asthma and just a cold makes him very sick. Today he had a check up and he got the first dose of the shot. I stated in earlier threads that I didn't want him to have it. What changed my mind?

1. The tons of people on here who swear they are very healthy, eat right, exercise, etc. but were sick as a dog with this virus.

2. The three kids from our church who were in the hospital due to complications from the swine flu. One little boy was asthmatic like my son and ended up with a collapsed lung.

3. When I was in the doc's office today, the receptionist was on the phone with a mother b/c her child had it. They were talking about the fever coming and going and the receptionist said to give it a couple of days before coming into the office.

When I got into the office with my doctor, we talked about the shot...I asked all kinds of questions. I came down to the decision that I was taking a risk either way. I didn't want to see my son suffer from this virus. With him being in school 2 days a week, in church groups, playgroup, swimming lessons, playground, etc. I just think it was pretty likely he would pick up this virus at some point this winter, so I decided to get it for him. I wish I could have gotten for myself too, but the doc said I am not considered high risk.

There is my story. I completely understand how you feel. Don't let anyone bully you either way.

Last edited by Belly Kelly; 11-10-2009 at 04:13 AM.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Our son has cystic fibrosis and we fully intended to have him vaccinated for h1n1. He got his seasonal flu vaccine in September. DH got h1n1 flu last month and indicated his lungs felt horrible -- worse than any flu, bronchial bug he'd ever gotten in the past. Relatively healthy adult, he was extremely worried at how our child would fare should he get it.
We were able to get his first vaccine a couple weeks ago -- still major shortages in our area.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

fufu HB Userfufu HB User

My son has asthma as well and i have not yet decided to give him the vaccine.
It is a difficult decision one that i can regret either way. I am in the same situation
as you. I guess we will have to make a decision soon and accept the consequences.
You do what you feel, you're the mother you will make the right decision for your child.
Most of the doctors i know are highly recommending the vaccine and all the parents i know are not giving their kids the vaccine. It is a personal decision, let's all hope that we make the right one.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Thanks for all your responses. I really do appreciate the effort you all took into responding back with your thoughts.

I will probably be getting the shot for my asthmatic daughter afterall...that is, when it finally does come in. Our medical office still does not have any and said they probably won't till early December. What is up with that?

I will probably NOT give my little daughter who is not asthmatic the shot. She already had the flu shot. And I just don't feel the need to because she does not have any underlying conditions.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #8
(female)

jdsun HB User

Quote:

I will probably NOT give my little daughter who is not asthmatic the shot. She already had the flu shot. And I just don't feel the need to because she does not have any underlying conditions.
I am not sure what area of the country you live in, but in my town alone there have been five children hospitalzed with serious complications from H1N1. Only one of those had an underlying condition. The rest were healthy. It is spreading VERy quickly here and people are getting very sick.

Jdsun

Old 11-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

My two neighbors have had swine flu and they were fine after 2 days. It was a mild case for the both of them. And after speaking to my pediatric office I was told they have treated about 40 patients with swine flu so far and that none were serious. But, we do live in a small village and go to a small school, so once it's been introduced into the community...it's here to stay for a while. It's not a matter of IF she gets swine flu, it's when!

Today the swine flu shots finally came in and I was offered the shot for my daughter but declined because she recieves her allergy shot on Tuesdays. I didn't want to give her both on the same day. I hope they have enough left for tomorrow. I also left with the leaflet that comes with the shots...not sure if I really should look it over, because what if I see something I don't like and chicken out of the shot?! Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
I also left with the leaflet that comes with the shots...not sure if I really should look it over, because what if I see something I don't like and chicken out of the shot?!
The leaflet is probably this one:
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/downloads/vis-inact-h1n1.pdf

Or this one for the nasal spray:
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/downloads/vis-laiv-h1n1.pdf

Closed Thread