It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
(female)

vivienne1 HB User
vaccination advice anyone?

Hi

I'm due to get my swine flu vaccination on Tuesday of next week. I have a sinus infection and have been given antibiotics today. I have to say that this whole Swine flu thing is terrifying me as I suffer from asthma quite badly. I debated long and hard and decided to get the vaccination but I'm scared they wont do it if I'm on antibiotics. So I thought I wouldn't start them just now but then I wondered would they give me the vaccination anyway if I still have this sinus infection.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by vivienne1; 11-11-2009 at 04:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
(female)

mslux HB User
Re: vaccination advice anyone?

I just got mine today and the info sheet they had me sign said they wouldnt give a shot if one has a serious infection such as pneumonia. It would probably be best not to have an infection, but I don't believe it would be in your best interest to wait a week to take your antibiotic. Sinus infections can be miserable if untreated. Can you check with your doctor's office?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #3
(female)

Kendra01 HB UserKendra01 HB User

I'm freaking out too! I have called my GP's office every other day for 2 weeks! They don't have the shots and don't know when they will. The County had it for one day, but I was in a meeting that I could not get out of and now they are gone. RAts.

I have called my Endo and checked with any other doctor I have ever seen and nobody has them! I live in the capital city of my state and this is just crazy! OH, I am a Type I diabetic and considered high risk, so I qualify.

My parents can't locate any shots either. It is so frustrating.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:46 AM   #4
(female)

Dawnsdays HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendra01 View Post
I'm freaking out too! I have called my GP's office every other day for 2 weeks! They don't have the shots and don't know when they will. The County had it for one day, but I was in a meeting that I could not get out of and now they are gone. RAts.

I have called my Endo and checked with any other doctor I have ever seen and nobody has them! I live in the capital city of my state and this is just crazy! OH, I am a Type I diabetic and considered high risk, so I qualify.

My parents can't locate any shots either. It is so frustrating.
Doctors offices DO NOT have the vaccines. You have to check your local health department. They will tell you where to go to get it. Don't wait for the doctors to get it. they won't.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User

you have to ask your doctor. They wont give you the vaccine if you have a fever.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

There is a link at the HHS gov website that you can search for your state or zip code for clinics in your area. I took the H1N1 vaccine yesterday at one of the local health department clinics. I was in and out in 5 minutes and the shot is free. Since I have lupus and FMS and heart issues, I felt it was better for me to take than not take. I had the swine flu vaccine in the 80's with no ill effects, so I took a gamble and took it.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
(female)

vivienne1 HB User

Hi everyone thanks for the replies. As I'm in the UK I think things in relation to who gets the vaccine and when are slightly different. Anyway I finally spoke to a doctor and was advised to take my antibiotics as I wouldn't get the vaccine with the infection and had to wait a further seven clear days after. So I started the pack and cancelled my appointment. I then phoned back yesterday to make a new appointment to be told by the receptionist that only people currently on steroids for asthma are being vaccinated and I couldn't get it. I then explained that I had an appointment this week but had to cancel it and dont see why things had changed. She told me "Well they just have". After much insisting I was put through to the doctor who told me that she was wrong and all people with asthma were being offered the vaccine. There is so much misinformation out there even doctors offices cant seem to coordinate properly. My worry is how many people she put off with her wrong take on things.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

The rule is you NEVER take a vaccination of any kind if you are ill or have a cold sore. All the package inserts say do not take if any signs of illness are present.

Ask for a package insert out of the flu vaccine box and read it. Read it for yourself.

Oleander

Closed Thread