It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
(male)

Dad44 HB User
H1N1 - Anybody Seen this yet?

On Saturday, my son (age 6) contracted what we've been told (no swab) is H1N1.

His symptoms were a moderate fever, joint aches, a mild cough and heavy congestion.

On Sunday, the fever increased. On Monday, it returned to a moderate level.

On Tuesday, the fever broke but he was still very low energy. The fever returned that evening but was gone again in the morning.

On Wednesday, he developed a nasty kroopy cough but was otherwise feverless. He was still very congested.

This morning (Thursday), he woke with a fever (102) and was breathing at an increased rate (without labor - just faster). I took him to emerg, worried about secondary infection. x-rays of his chest were clear & his lungs sounded good.

The doc prescribed an oral steroid for the cough on the basis that it's caused by a second unrelated virus. I'm v. hesitant to fill it due to the potential effect on his immune system. The doc also prescribed Tamiflu on the basis that it could be H1N1 returning.

Does my experience accord with anyone else's? Are people seeing the virus surge and abate causing fever to return and disappear? (I know this is happening with my symptoms - congestion and sore throat, but my fever has stayed gone for a few days now).

comments are much appreciated.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: H1N1 - Anybody Seen this yet?

I've heard of the symptoms returning but due to a bacterial infection. Friend of the family developed pneumonia a few days after starting to feel better. I haven't heard of the flu returning but bronchitis, pneumonia caused by a staph infection.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
(female)

jholt HB User

I had H1N1 and developed bronchitis. I am going on 4 weeks with bronchitis and 2 rounds of antibiotics/steroids. Still not getting better....this stuff is horrible! I would bet it is a secondary bacterial infection.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
(female)

mumscancer HB User

I am a 51 year old woman, good health. Excited although sorry to hear about your son-I know it must be very worrisome for you.

Took me almost a month to finally be rid of H1N1. Similiar to your son, I was sick with slight fever, aches (bad body aches), chills, night sweats. Thought I was getting better after about 4 days of this. Woke up in the morning with a below normal temperature, only by about three in the afternoon it would spike to 102-103. May have gone higher but I could not stand the terrible overall feeling of SICK so would medicate with tylenol or some other fever reducer. This happened like clockwork for almost two weeks!

I am finally well although I have come down with a nasty cold that has now settled in my chest and perhaps I now have Laryngitis? Good luck-have him rest and drink lots of water.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-09-2009 at 07:51 AM. Reason: needless quote

Closed Thread