It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
(female)

mykidscomefirst HB User
Unhappy Febrile seizures after FluMist (H1N1)?

Our daughter recently got the FluMist (H1N1) - suggested by her pediatrician because it was all that was available for her age when we were in the office (of course "totally safe").

- Note, at the same visit she also got the DTaP and IPV (Polio) shots. She's had these before and had no side effects. And to clarify, we have always trusted our doctor to administer whatever vaccine was due (always shots) and she has never show any side effects to any vaccine before.

This past week has been hell for us with 2 trips to the ER due to seizure.

- She came down with a fever exactly one week after getting FluMist, sent home from preschool. Got better. Went back to school the day after 24 hours at home with no fever.
- That day she returned to school she had a prolonged seizure (one lasting more than 15 minutes). No history of seizures. Ever. Saw several ER docs and pediatrician at ER - chalked up to febrile seizure because although there was no fever when the seizure occurred, there was a fever that shot up to 104 about 4 hours after she was admitted to the ER. Temp was 99 degrees at the the time of seizure.
- Discharged same day with instructions to treat fever -- blood test and urine test show no no infection. So still don't know what's causing fever.
- approx 36 hours later another seizure and trip to ER. This one definitely febrile. Again discharged with prescriptions for antiseizure medication this time.
- Next day saw her pediatrician and demanded a flu test. She tests positive for H1N1. Found out later that the fluMist can cause false positive on rapid flu test reading when within 14 days of dosing. I think we will ask for another test to see if she still shows up positive for H1N1 after the 14 day period. (We are curious why no one has offered us a flu test and we had to demand one.)
- She's on antiseizure medication and being treated around the clock for fever (although she does not one .. that's the point to prevent them). Treatment is rotation of Tylenol and Motrin. It's now 5 days after her first seizure that occurred at Preschool. Today we notice her face is twitching like a seizure is coming on -- thankfully it does not follow through.

We have make dozens of calls to neurologists, pediatricians. Today we finally got an appointment to have an EEG done (tomorrow.)

Would you suspect the fluMist vaccine?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2009, 01:48 AM   #2
(female)

Monikababy HB User
Re: Febrile seizures after FluMist (H1N1)?

My son also had the flu mist spray he is 13, he got sick within 3 days with a mild flu and has fully recovered. At the time I was feeling scared if I had made the right decision about the shot. I believe you should investigate it, obviously through medical professionals and find this out. I did hear there is a fund set up for any adverse effects from the flu shot for anyone who has experienced problems, check out the cdc website.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

neffie663 HB User
Re: Febrile seizures after FluMist (H1N1)?

bumping to top for other seizure question

Closed Thread