It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2009, 03:49 AM   #1
(female)

iowntheavenue HB User
8 week old baby with swine flu

My 8 week old son was ill, high temperature, cough and quite listless so I took him to Docs who sent him to hospital.

The poor wee guy had a barrage of tests incl spinal tap and various bloods taken.

They started him on intravenous antibiotics in case it was meningitis whilst waiting on the results. They said the antibiotics would cover a broad spectrum of infections so whatever he had they would start helping.

The following day the consultant came by and said he would review him at 4pm and see if he could be discharged.
He came by and said he was pretty confident that all the blood cultures taken etc were going to be fine and said he was sure he just had a bit of a cold, so he was discharged.
Exactly one week later I receive a call from the hospital saying his tests had come back and Swine Flu was confirmed.
I feel that this is appalling as my son is so young and in the danger bracket, and he has had to endure all this untreated as there's no medicine I can buy for a young baby. The docs only give some relief after shots etc, but tell you not to medicate him unless under their supervision. I know he has been suffering, I just don't know how badly.
I thought we were in the middle of a pandemic here?
So any mothers who are unsure of their babies heallth, don't just take hospitals advice if you baby has a "cold" get some paracetamol from you doc.
It's now week since he was diagnosed, so 2 weeks since he became unwell, he is showing a lot of improvement but not back to himself yet, so can a swine flu sufferer tell me after 2 weeks how is my son likely to be feeling now.
Thanks

Last edited by iowntheavenue; 11-21-2009 at 03:50 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
(female)

chronicpaingirl HB User
Re: 8 week old baby with swine flu

I am just getting over it but my granchildren had it and we took them to the hospital and went through the same thing but my daughter refused the spinal tap,she knew what they had because it was going around the school but still they did not prescribe tamiflu,she had to get it from thier pediatrician.What is going on with these hospitals!But the kids were back to school within 2 weeks.Your baby was probobly alittle sick longer because of how young she is,but I am sure she is feeling at least 75% better than the 1st day,just make sure she is getting enough fluids and peeing in her diaper.If you feel at all there is a problem take her to the er,like if her breathing is different and it feels like her heart is pounding along with a fever then take her asap.let me know.

Closed Thread