It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
(female)

jbean76 HB User
Question H1 and Bad Asthma

Hello all-
I am new to the boards. I have to admit that i was the biggest skeptic of H1 being as it is on huge overload on all news. I, however, got H1 and ended up on a vent. I came off the vent a little over two weeks ago, spent another number of days in the hospital and have been home a week now.

I'm wondering if anyone here has had H1 that also has asthma. It is taking me forever to get better. I am normally hospitalized a few times a year for URIs wiht my asthma, but nothing like this. I am still on 40mg of prednisone and nebbing (duoneb alt with albuterol) every two-ish hours around the clock. My peak flows never made it back up to 50% prior to discharge, and are still below 200/500. My pulmo said to call if I was getting worse or more so if i get fevers. I'm not really worse, but just having a heck of a time. I have thought about calling and checking in-but I'm not worse, just not better, and i don't want to increase my steroids.

Wondering if anyone has any insight or experiene with this combo of ailments?

jbean

Old 12-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
(female)

shelovescliche HB User
Re: H1 and Bad Asthma

I have pretty serious asthma that's never really been under control, but it's okay as long as I'm not exposed to anything that sets it off. I caught H1N1 back in July and was sick for 11 days, but my asthma's the first sign that told me I was catching more than a cold. I'd initially thought I just had a mild cold coming on, since it started with a cough and sore throat, but after two days my asthma was getting bad. I went to my PCP and she immediately put me on prednisone (50mg for 4 days, then 40 for 3, and so on). The early prednisone intervention is the ONLY reason I didn't end up in the hospital. Usually if I just catch a cold, I always end up having to go on prednisone, but only after it's late enough that my asthma's close to the danger zone. My asthma still bothered me for a few weeks after I'd gotten over the flu, but it eventually evened out. Just keep being diligent about the nebulizers, and if you need to go to the hospital, don't wait. If you get to where you're tapering down on the prednisone and you're still not any better, you might want to think about going back to your doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread