It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2009, 02:59 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User
I will always wonder

This past May, my God did I ever get sick. I was down for a month. I have Lupus so I don't know if I got somehow hit harder. I felt a weird feeling in my chest on a Tuesday night. BY the next morning I was really sick. I started out trying to do laundry and within an hour I needed help getting the basket back into the living room. My body hurt so bad that I could not walk. By evening I was taken to the ER by ambulance. I was with a runny nose, bad congestion and a fever of 101.1 NOW, I was swabbed and they said negative on the swine flu. I am hearing now that there are some false negatives?? and I don't know if that is true. After being in the ER half the night I went home. I won't even go into the treatment that I received, but BAD does not cover it.

By about an hour after I was home I knew I was getting into trouble. I was SO hot and I sent a neighbor to get me a thermometer as soon as the stores opened. I was with 103.5 fever for the next 3 days. I live alone, so I literally crawled back and forth getting in and out of the tub to try and bring my fever down as the tylenol alone was not helping. I was dizzy and just a mess. I was taking the antibiotics that the ER prescribed. A week later, fast forward, I am still awfully sick. I get into my doctor's office and they suspected pneumonia, gave me another week's worth of Leviquin and an inhalor. All in all I was down for about a month, and I have never, EVER been that sick in my life. And I cannot believe how fast this came upon me!

I guess it matters not, but I will always wonder if I did indeed have H1N1, OR was that just the regular flu? I am very afraid of getting vaccinated against any flus

I wash my hands like crazy and I try to avoid groups of people when I can. I did hear IF I had the swine flu that I can get it again, just another strain?

Here is to hoping we all stay as healthy as we can..
Madison104

Last edited by Madison104; 11-25-2009 at 03:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2009, 05:27 AM   #2
(female)

Ayvah2 HB User
Re: I will always wonder

Why are you afraid of being vaccinated? The flu shot/h1n1 shot is a dead virus so you can't get sick from it. It is recommended for immunocompromised people.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:07 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Hi Ayvah, I don't know why really. Maybe because two of the people in my life that I know that got the vaccine, got really sick. I have been told it is a coincidence. It always stuck in my mind. Then this year my dear friend Jean got the flu vaccine and she had some bad tingling in her body for about a week. Thank God that went away but I did read up on a rare side effect (cannot remember the name) that some get and die from that is from the vaccine. I just don't do well with meds, well, many of them better said, I am very sensitive to. So, I just worry that I will have a bad reaction.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Dear Madison, I am so sorry you got so sick. It's just awful. I have not gotten the H1N1 shot because I am in the age bracket where they won't let us. I am 45. And in general good health. I made the mistake of not getting the regular flu shot eithor. I guess I would rather take my chances. But now I got the flu this morning. I am not sure which one because it just started. I pray to God it doesn't get too bad. I have really bad body aches all over, diarrea, slight fever of about 99, slight headache and stomach ache. Here I am only on the first day and wondering when it will be over. I am gonna just have to give it to God and pray he heals me and gives me the strenght to go through this. I am not a person who deals well with the flu.

Are you all healed up? Let us know ok! Thanks!

Old 11-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Oh TEdd, I am sorry that you are getting sick. It sounds like how the H1N1 starts out. Please make sure you watch your temp. and take tylenol for those aches and for the fever. Usually things subside within 3-4 days, but can last longer depending on one's overall health, I am told.

I am all better now, but at the time, I did not believe that a person could get THAT sick and not die. Honest to God, I will never forget how sick I was. Just horrific.
When you can keep us posted. Let's hope this leaves you fast. Darn it all huh? I swear I wash my hands until the skin is unhappy. I keep one of those alcohol hand sanitizers in my purse. I did read that the alcohol content must be at LEAST 60 percent or they won't work. I have the purse size and no matter where I go, or what I touch I use it before my hands even think to rub my eye...
Healing thoughts coming your way..
Madison104

Old 11-29-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Thanks Madison! I am like you and use hand sanitizer all the time. Somewhere along the line I picked this up. I was around alot of people this past week. It could have been anyone who exposed me. Should I go to the doctor to see if its H1N1?

Old 11-29-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison104 View Post
This past May, my God did I ever get sick. I was down for a month. I have Lupus so I don't know if I got somehow hit harder. I felt a weird feeling in my chest on a Tuesday night. BY the next morning I was really sick. I started out trying to do laundry and within an hour I needed help getting the basket back into the living room. My body hurt so bad that I could not walk. By evening I was taken to the ER by ambulance. I was with a runny nose, bad congestion and a fever of 101.1 NOW, I was swabbed and they said negative on the swine flu. I am hearing now that there are some false negatives?? and I don't know if that is true. After being in the ER half the night I went home. I won't even go into the treatment that I received, but BAD does not cover it.

By about an hour after I was home I knew I was getting into trouble. I was SO hot and I sent a neighbor to get me a thermometer as soon as the stores opened. I was with 103.5 fever for the next 3 days. I live alone, so I literally crawled back and forth getting in and out of the tub to try and bring my fever down as the tylenol alone was not helping. I was dizzy and just a mess. I was taking the antibiotics that the ER prescribed. A week later, fast forward, I am still awfully sick. I get into my doctor's office and they suspected pneumonia, gave me another week's worth of Leviquin and an inhalor. All in all I was down for about a month, and I have never, EVER been that sick in my life. And I cannot believe how fast this came upon me!

I guess it matters not, but I will always wonder if I did indeed have H1N1, OR was that just the regular flu? I am very afraid of getting vaccinated against any flus

I wash my hands like crazy and I try to avoid groups of people when I can. I did hear IF I had the swine flu that I can get it again, just another strain?

Here is to hoping we all stay as healthy as we can..
Madison104
My husband brought home the same virus you just described above and he was tested and it came back negative. I swear it had to be swine flu. I had a 101 fever and my son had a 104 fever. I felt dizzy, hot, weak, and my chest was on fire. I went to the doctors and my chest was clear. It took me 10 days to get over it.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:30 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEdds83 View Post
Thanks Madison! I am like you and use hand sanitizer all the time. Somewhere along the line I picked this up. I was around alot of people this past week. It could have been anyone who exposed me. Should I go to the doctor to see if its H1N1?

I used sanitizer too but it didn't work for me. I would just go to the doctor and have them check your chest to see if you have congestion. I did when I had it and I was ok. Take tylenol, rest, and luke warm baths to keep your fever down. Also, drink plenty of fluids with soup. This virus will make you dizzy so don't be alarmed. You will have a lot of phelgm to cough up so don't be alarmed about that either.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:35 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

I DO think I had it. For anyone that is feeling ill and is not sure, I do think it is important to be tested. I am thinking anyway, that the cases should be documented and another thing is this...just in case you don't know how your chest may sound, it is really important for a doctor to listen in on that. I understand getting treatment early if needed can be critical. And of course if we have any underlying medical conditions we need to always consider that too.

Wishing everyone to feel well. I swear to God I am still traumatized!

Old 11-29-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I will call tomorrow and go and be tested. They bring the flu people through the side door. Thats ok by me. I want to get whatever drugs I need.

I am on day one...with this flu can you tell me what these symptoms sound like?

Sore stomach, diarrea every 1 to 2 hours, sore neck, headache, body aches all over and temp running from 99.1 to 100.4 over the first 12 hours so far.

What can I expect?? I am scared. I have to be honest. And I have panic attacks so this is not helping. I may have to search for my bottle of xanax.

Last edited by TEdds83; 11-29-2009 at 06:43 PM.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:52 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wink Re: I will always wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEdds83 View Post
I will call tomorrow and go and be tested. They bring the flu people through the side door. Thats ok by me. I want to get whatever drugs I need.

I am on day one...with this flu can you tell me what these symptoms sound like?

Sore stomach, diarrea every 1 to 2 hours, sore neck, headache, body aches all over and temp running from 99.1 to 100.4 over the first 12 hours so far.

What can I expect?? I am scared. I have to be honest. And I have panic attacks so this is not helping. I may have to search for my bottle of xanax.

my experience with it last month: I had a temp of 100 to 101. I went to the doctors the first day I had it to get my chest checked because in the past I had pneumonia. So I was fine. They gave me nothing for antibiotics and they wouldn't test me because the test is inaccurate. I was sore all over, headache, body aches. I had mild stomach ache, no diarrea (diarrea is normal with this virus so don't be alarmed). I was dizzy at times, and just tired. The coughing would burn in my chest. Phelgm would go up and down my throat. The main thing is rest - drink gaterade if you can or plenty of water. I ate soup and nothing else. I took tylenol for my fever and aches. It does get better so please don't panic. I have panic and anxiety and I survived. Just watch some tv and try to relax. I know it is hard. Express all your concerns with your doctor and ask what happens with this flu. It can take up to 10 days to feel better.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:09 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks! You are a gem! I will hang in there! I cried today because I felt so bad.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:33 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

I don't think there is much that we can do except see our doctor, rest and do our best not to expose others. Try to relax. Some people have an easier time than others. I think my Lupus caused me to really spiral down, I do.

Keep us posted TEdd, and I hope you are feeling better soon~~~

Old 11-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Madison and all. I am better today althought I still have a headache and feel weak. But my appetite is back. I spent today in bed too. I thought I would rest up. I am am hypothyroid so I have immune trouble myself. It does make it harder on us.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:21 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Hi TEdd, I am so glad that you are feeling better. Any immune problems really affect us and not in a good way.

Continue to keep us posted and hopefully you are on your way UP

Madison

Closed Thread