It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2009, 06:53 AM   #1
(female)

katecop HB User
not getting the vaccine

i am personally choosing not to get the swine flu vaccine for myself or my son. we are both healthy and have already had the regular flu shots but i am concerned about the swine flu shot being containing thimerosal and to me it is just a little scary to even take a chance at something happening to my child just by giving him a vaccine. i choose to get him only vaccines that are pediatric preservative free. just my opinion. and although i am sure that the vaccine will help a huge number of people i just dont think we are going to get one.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neffie663 HB User
Re: not getting the vaccine

Everyone has a right to choose.My childern got the vaccine for H1N1 because around by me there have been enough kids dying that it made me scared for the life of my kids.My old daycare kid died Nov.1st she was just 15 yrs old with no previous medical problems.I am still devastated from the loss.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello,

You may be interested in knowing that some types of the H1N1 vaccine do not contain thimerosal. Only the multi vial shot does in order to avoid contamination to the second shot. I believe the inhalant type does not contain this either.

Indeed it is up to each individual to decide whether or not to get the vaccine and everyone will make a decision that they feel is best for themselves and for their families. I personally decided to get the shot in order to protect myself and those around me. I do not have children but I teach in university and I felt that I would not want to be responsible for giving H1N1 to a young adult who may suffer complications and possibly a trip to the ICU because of me.

At any rate, in order for our national populations to benefit from the herd effect, it is not necessary for everyone to get the shot, just a certain number.

Take care of yourself and your son and all the best.

Estria

Old 12-04-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
(female)

sh 08 HB User

i did feel like you in the beginning and when they started talking about how they may make it mandatory in schools to get it i was livid and thought there is no way i am making my child get that! but in the end, and after A LOT of research, we ALL got it...reason being my kids are in the danger age, my daughter has bad lungs and the main reason? i think it is very selfish to not help those around you that could become exposed due to one of you getting it. What people don't understand is that while some people may get over it just fine, and most will, someone else could become affected by one of you and die. I don't want to be responsible for someone elses death and kids don't exactly (and some adults) help situations by staying at home until they are 100% or not covering their mouths and so on. So for me i did it to help others, not to say you are selfish at all that was just my reasoning for having everyone else get done.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katecop View Post
i am concerned about the swine flu shot being containing thimerosal
In the US:

The nasal mist flu vaccines do not contain thimerosal. The single dose prefilled needles of injectable flu vaccine either contain no thimerosal (CSL) or trace amounts of thimerosal (Novartis).

The multi-dose bottles of injectable flu vaccine do contain thimerosal as a preservative, to reduce the risk of contamination.

This is the same as with seasonal flu vaccines.

Closed Thread