It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
(female)

MacyMaid HB User
Just getting over the Swine Flu.....Sharing

I got the H1N1 vaccine on November 15. I felt so safe now. Well, on November 24, it started with a right side sore throat. Next day, upper respiratory/sinuses. That night I slept for 12 hours. Woke to coughing and slight fever. I never thought it was swine flu as I had the vaccine. Little did I know at that time it takes 2 weeks for the vaccine to take effect. I was never told this. Otherwise I would of gotten the Tami-flu. By Thanksgiving, I was vomiting and fever hovered at 99.9. The coughing was horrific and getting the mucous up produced vomiting. I had no appetite and was so weak, I could not stand more than 2 minutes. The wheezing was horrible. The shortness of breath was bad. I lived on Camplbell soup and saltine crackers. My husband who did not have the vaccine got it Thanksgiving night. Same MO identicle. We called the 211 number for information and was connected to the Health dept in Austin. Yes, we had the seasonal vaccine weeks earlier. What I described to them was classed as Swine flu. They informed me that it takes 2 weeks for full immunity after the H1Ni vaccine. They wanted me to see a doctor but I vetoed this as we could not stop coughing, were too weak and I did not want anyone to get this mess. Hubby did call someone and we each received a Z-pak (antibitoics) and an albuterol inhaler. Told to stay well hydrated as this is what can get us into trouble. I am an asthmatic and a heart patient. I survived 11 days of this and I am 70 1/2 years old. Today is the first day, I feel human. I wish this virus on no one. Get your vaccine....I just wish mine had kicked in before I got this virus. It is awful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: Just getting over the Swine Flu.....Sharing

Oh my gosh Macy, that sounds really horrible. I am so sorry to hear what you have been through. That is truly unlucky to get the flu after you have been vaccinated. Yes you are right it does take the full 2 weeks to get immunity and I have a feeling that you were already infected with the virus when you went for your shot (the virus takes a good week or so to take hold and give you symptoms). Add to that the fact that the vaccine is effective in 90% of cases so there is still a 10% chance of getting the flu if exposed to the virus.

I had my shot this past monday (as soon as it was made available to the general public .. over here they vaccinated the people most at risk of complications first) and I am trying to be as careful as possible. Even after I have full immunity I plan to take good care because you never know. Heaven forbid the darned virus mutates and we get a new wave of a different type of swine flu ! (from what they have seen so far, this does not seem to be happening, thank goodness). There is always a lot of stuff floating around from person to person during the wintertime.

Glad to hear that you are feeling a lot better. Try to look on the bright side .. now you are WELL AND TRULY protected from the swine flu. Take good care of yourself.

Estria

Old 12-06-2009, 08:17 AM   #3
(female)

MacyMaid HB User

Thanks you for the kind words, Estria. Hubby and I still have a productive cough from this swine flu which we heard can last for a month or so. We did attend a Xmas piano recital for our 2 yourngest grandchildren at a church here last night but we sat in the back with no one around us. No hand shakes or hugs. We left before the others and back home to watch the Texas vs. Nebraska game of which I fell asleep. Hubby was glued to the TV. Another thing the health dept told us was to avoid dairy products as this can contribute to the coughing and I find this is soo true. I encourage everyone who does not want to get this awful virus to get vaccinated if they can. I see you have been vaccinated. Texas was lax in getting enough vaccine into the state. But, I am peeved as my large cardiologist group had the vaccine but would not give me the vaccine as they were saving it for all Tramsplant patients. I can understand this but they had enough there to cover other heart patients and those who are at high risk, like myself with asthma, Heart attack, stents and elderly. I could of had this shot earlier but was rejected. My kind and caring GYN doctor knew of my situation and said she will not refuse to give any high risk patients such as myself, the vaccine even if we are not pregnant. LOL The wheezing is better although not entirely gone. I thank God that we did not need to be hospitalized. We got well at home. Have a great Sunday and I pray you do not get this awful virus.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hi Macy,

Just keep being careful and if for any reason your cough starts to get worse or you begin to have trouble breathing, go the ER immediately. A lung infection requires anti-biotics as soon as possible.

You are right about dairy products. They thicken the phlegm so they should be avoided when you have a congested cough. Some nice tea with lemon and honey and possibly ginger does wonders for the throat and vocal chords and helps to loosen phlegm. Also, to loosen phlegm in sinuses and the back of the throat, gargle with a half teaspoon of salt mixed in a glass of water and use these saline nasal sprays that you can find at the pharmacy like Hydrasense. I use these everyday because here in the great white north our winters are super dry and the mucous membranes tend to get dry and inflamed. They do wonders and are not addictive since they are just saline. Careful with the gargling with salt water if you have high blood pressure though as ingesting salt in this case is not a good thing.

Now that the worst is over, you can stay home and be comfortable until it passes.

All the best.

Estria

Old 12-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
(female)

MacyMaid HB User

Thanks again for the helpful hints. I will get the saline nasal and start gargling. I have honey here and will get some lemons. I heard one can get a relapse of this so I have curtailed all activites so I can be well for Xmas. Hubby and I had chills today and we freaked out that this bug was returning.
We have been invited to 3 Xmas parties and I have an appt with my Endocrinolgist on Tuesday and was planning on dropping Xmas gifts off to a doctor's group but all that is cancelled. I am not leaving the house unless absolutely necessary. This is what this Swine Virus has done. It has taken its toll on us and we want it never to return. I just don't understand why some people do not want the vaccine. We love the holidays but this year we are not putting up a tree. Just don't feel like it. Keep well, Estria

Closed Thread