It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2011, 11:34 PM   #16
(female)

Location: Manchester, England. English but grew up in Greater Vancouver, Canada
lady in black HB User
Smile Re: 6 months after surviving H1N1 ... now weakened immune system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteachermom View Post
My daughter had a confirmed case of H1N1 in June of 2009 after being exposed on a trip to Washington DC. She was very sick (never life-threatening) but recovered. This child has rarely, in 17 years, been sick. Growing up she never caught the seasonal flus or colds. Since having H1N1 she's been sick with flu-like or other symptoms repeatedly. This week her symptoms are stomach pain, nausea, sore throat and extreme fatigue but no fever. She's missed more school this year than all the years combined preceding. Could H1N1 cripple a healthy immune system permanently? Are any other survivors seeing this effect?
Sounds like swine flu has hit ur daughters adrenal glands. Have a look at my post 'what i've learned from swine flu & recovery. When ur daughter recovers from this the experts are suggesting she'll have super immunity as the adrenal glands have swollen thus when they repair they will be bigger & thus hold more adrenaline. Took me since may 2009 to get all this figured out but it is well worth it. lots of rest is required along with what i posted in my other post. It can take 6mths to 2yrs for a complete recovery i've read

Old 03-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #17
(male)

MountainBike HB User
Re: 6 months after surviving H1N1 ... now weakened immune system?

I am an active 35 yr old father with five children. Besides my children and their little friends, I work in close areas with as many as 20 men and when any of them are sick, I begin taking Echinacea. I had not become sick in the last 15 years, until January 2010. I had a confirmed case of H1N1; it was serious, but not life threatening. Since that time, in just a little more then 15 months, I have 6 times had head colds/congestion that leads to chest colds. Each time, I have had at least low grade fevers, coughing, and severe congestion symptoms that last 10-14 days. I have been to the doctors and he has prescribed antibiotics, as well as cough formulas and inhalers to treat the symptoms. I have to use air filters/cleaners and vaporizers daily. I watch everything I touch and use antiseptic wipes, vitamins, herbal formulas, juices, etc. - something that I did not HAVE to do in the years prior to that "blasted" flu. And I am still getting sick, and half the time I am the first in our family to show symptoms, and cause my children to become sick.

This is something that I have just started investigating when I found this thread. I am not happy that others are suffering, but it does make me feel better about what I am going through.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2011, 09:45 PM   #18
(female)

MamaDye HB User

YES! Our son who is now 16 had H1N1 in the fall of 2009. He missed most of his fall semester of high school as a freshman. We have been to no less than 9 doctors as our son has had strange flu like continued symptoms: Vomiting, sleeplessness, low grade fever, diahrreah, and just plain lack of energy. Prior to this he was a star baseball pitcher on two travel teams. Now he has trouble even doing basic tasks. The worst part is we as parents KNOW he is sick. He is sleeping 14 to 18 hours per day (average is 16) so there is NO WAY he can go to school. We have him on a homebound program. But if he were to go to school in order to wake up on time he would have to literally get off the bus and go straight to bed. We just want our son back -- and he doesn't have to be an athlete -- but we are at our wits end. We know of no where else to turn. We have a new pediatrician who has done all sorts of tests. He has been on a gluten free diet and that has helped wtih the IBS symptoms. lBut he still runs a low grade fever, has just stomach nausea and sleeplessness. Then when he goes to sleep he is down for the count. We have tried tylenol pm or benadryl and those are not working like they used to before he had h1n1 when he had trouble sleeping. What is wrong with his immune system? That h1n1 sure did a doozy on a healthy athletic child. And we have as a family been in counseling, as well as him individually and the pychologist insists he is not depressed so that is not the reason for the sleeping. How is your daughter doing? Please know you are not alone. Thanks. Mama Dye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteachermom View Post
My daughter had a confirmed case of H1N1 in June of 2009 after being exposed on a trip to Washington DC. She was very sick (never life-threatening) but recovered. This child has rarely, in 17 years, been sick. Growing up she never caught the seasonal flus or colds. Since having H1N1 she's been sick with flu-like or other symptoms repeatedly. This week her symptoms are stomach pain, nausea, sore throat and extreme fatigue but no fever. She's missed more school this year than all the years combined preceding. Could H1N1 cripple a healthy immune system permanently? Are any other survivors seeing this effect?

Old 04-25-2011, 10:02 PM   #19
(female)

MamaDye HB User

We have a very similar situation but it's still going on for our 16 year old -- we've seen 9 docs since h1n1 initial infection in Fall of 2009 and now here in Spring 2011 he is not much better. The stomach stuff is better (we got off gluten for a while and just slowly added it back and that worked for the stomach pains, diahrreah, and vomiting ... but the severe fatigue, low grade fever and not being able to go to school (has to sleep 16 hours or so and depression has been ruled out) are just heartbreaking. He was a complete athlete before, loved being outside and never stopped. Now he has to even "work at it" to do basic chores and school work at home. It is so disheartening, more to him than even to us heartsick parents. After 9 docs we feel in a stranglehold with his compromised immune system and have no where to turn. Any ideas from ANYONE on tests that can be done? Saw an immunologist and he said it's spru but the stomach stuff is better so that doesn't jive. Help. And I hope your son is recovering better than ours at this piont. Anyone: Any ideas which are constructive?

Mama Dye
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshack27 View Post
My six year old son has had similar experiences after having Influenza A in October last year (2009). He developed pneumonia two weeks after having the virus and had a very difficult time getting over it. Now it seems like every bug going around turns into a significant respiratory infection for him or maybe the infection never fully goes away. There also seems to be a pattern to the illnesses in that he complains of stomach pains for a few days then he will start coughing and sounding congested and then have a fever that goes up to 104+. This has happened four times since October 2009 and he is now starting to complain of stomach pains again. My son had never been sick with a fever prior to having this virus. I definitely agree the virus compromises the immune system.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:20 AM   #20
(female)

Lizsz HB User
Lightbulb Re: 6 months after surviving H1N1 ... now weakened immune system?

My daughter (also had H1N1 in Nov 2009) has had similar issues but not as severe. She was NEVER sick before this. This winter was not too bad- she was sick a number of times and has been a lot more tired than she used to be but not as bad as last winter. I think part of the reason she has been somewhat improved is all winter I was giving her VitaminD (5000iu 3 times per week) and she decided to give up candy and pop (she still eats chocolate but less). Both these things may have helped. I also noticed that I am more tired if I don't carefully control my carb intake (I also had H1N1).
Why don't you try putting him on a low carb diet (low GI/GL which is basically a South Beach diet). See if that reduces his symptoms. I found that a 'phase 2' version works for us but you may need to keep him on 'phase 1' for awhile. If you don't notice an improvement within 3 -4 days then that's not the answer. (Make sure he doesn't cheat!)

Old 07-17-2011, 04:52 PM   #21
(female)

Jennifee HB User

Hi everyone,

Thank you for sharing, I am a 29 years old from new zealand and have had similar cases to some of you out there. My case was confirmed with swine flu in July 2009, I was isolated from work n study for 3 months, it was horrible staying in bed because it never felt like improvement was coming near. Getting back to normal living has been a constant struggle, even adapting a healthy eating plan n fitness schedule. I used to be active in many sports and now get tired easily, even from lite walking; I become breathless easily, imbalance, ear aches, cold chills, muscular aches all the time, chest congestion as some has mentioned. My body don't feel like it belongs to me any more, it just wont listen, I thought it was stress level that had contribute to this, taking another 8 months off work to seek help still gave me no promising result. I am currently lying in bed taking time off work yet, another week, contacted another viral infection. How dont know how to keep my new job which i have been in for 3 months, judging the way of my health, i try to still go in pain or in discomfort. My doctor said there was no cure for it, need to let it heal by itself.... If my defense system was strong enough in the first place, maybe u wont catch flu so easily, oh I have had flu jab also, it doesn't stop. I feel very sadden that my doctor suggested that I go and see an hypnotherapist to change my outlook in health. So, in a way I am very grateful to find others like myself, but in the end, I hope everyone a drug free lifestyle with good health, as this swine flu takes toll on our social life n performance at work too.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #22
(female)

Location: Manchester, England. English but grew up in Greater Vancouver, Canada
lady in black HB User

Jennifee sorry 4 delay in answering I lost my password.
My situation is simular 2 urs & i've been reading lots; vitc ascorbic acid bumps up ur uric acid levels as does red meat & some pork chicken less so this all aids energy
My own situation is congenital tb & addisons please demand a tb test & to see an endo Lawrence Broxmeyer Md says Swine Flu new strain of Tb don't be alarmed he also thinks all flu a type of tb #common his refs check out so does his logic see u about B-)

Old 09-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #23
(male)

alpineman91 HB User

Hi this is an old thread, but i think it still applies. I am 21, in Australia, i contracted two strains of H1N1 over my HSC exam period in 2009, i then was confirmed positive for Glandular Fever and Pneumonia at the same time. To say the least i was very sick. (I have often said that if you are lookignfor a good diet, then swine flu is a good option, i lost 8.5kg from 3 weeks in bed. was just over 60kg by the end of it.)
Since having swine flu, i have contracted every possible flu that has come around. I live in an area with alot of people that come from all over the country/world and i am constantly exposed to people that are sick. Like many people seem to be experinceing, i get sick alot. about once a month, i will be sick for a week or two. usually symptoons are just of a common cold or flu. I get flu injections every year, take vitamin c, echinacea, vitamin d, zinc supplements, a multivitamin, all of which i dont think makes a difference. I have tried to change every environmental factor in my lifestyle, ie food intake, exercise levels/intensity/ times. none of which has led to a reduction in the frequency to which i get sick.
I have seen about 4 doctors, all of which say that it is not related to swinen flu. Blood tests show nothing. I havent turned to online forums for something like this before, but i am just about sick of my own immune system, and would give basicly anything a go. I think i am too young to be sick all of the time, plus it is affecting my ability to work and university studies.
Any suggestions, things that have worked for you would be highly appreciated.
Cheers Kai

Closed Thread