It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
(female)

MyHeart916 HB User
Arrow Should I get an H1N1 vaccine?

Ok so now it seems like no one is really talking about H1N1 anymore, but I am still thinking about getting the vaccine. It is now being offered at a local drug store. I am a 29 year old female. I do have a minor heart condition called IST, does this vaccine have any side effects other than tenderness in the arm where you receive the shot?

Old 12-26-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
(female)

alwaysonthago HB User
Re: Should I get an H1N1 vaccine?

I urge you to do some serious research for the following reasons:

A three-month-long investigation by CBS News, released earlier this week that included state-by-state test results, revealed some very different facts. The CBS study found that H1N1 flu cases are NOT as prevalent as feared. A CBS article even states:

"If you've been diagnosed "probable" or "presumed" 2009 H1N1 or "swine flu" in recent months, you may be surprised to know this: odds are you didn't have H1N1 flu. In fact, you probably didn't have flu at all."

Well, CBS reports that in late July 2009 the CDC advised states to STOP testing for H1N1 flu, and they also stopped counting individual cases.

Their rationale for this, according to CBS News, was that it was a waste of resources to test for H1N1 flu because it was already confirmed as an epidemic.

So just like that virtually every person who visited their physician with flu-like symptoms since late July was assumed to have H1N1, with no testing necessary because, after all, there's an epidemic.

It's interesting to note that at the same time as the CDC decided the H1N1 epidemic warranted no further testing for cases due to its epidemic status.

In late July the health ministry and the National Institute for Health and Welfare (THL) in Finland actually removed swine flu from a list of diseases considered dangerous to the public because the majority of cases recovered without medication or hospital care!

And, as the CDC continues to use fear to motivate and control Americans with their worst-case swine flu scenarios, they say nothing of the experience of those in the southern hemisphere, which just finished their flu season and found it was not as bad as expected.

Barbara Loe Fisher, founder of the National Vaccine Information Center asked how much of the flu-like illness that occurs in America every year is actually due to the flu.

The answer was about 20 percent, which corresponds more closely with the CBS News data from 2009.

According to the CBS News study, when you come down with chills, fever, cough, runny nose, malaise and all those other "flu-like" symptoms, the illness is likely caused by influenza at most 17 percent of the time and as little as 3 percent! The other 83 to 97 percent of the time it's caused by other viruses or bacteria.

Curiously, the CDC still advises those who were told they had 2009 H1N1 (and therefore should be immune to getting it again) to get vaccinated unless they had lab confirmation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
(female)

Ayvah2 HB User

Yes you should get vaccinated. It has the same potential side effects as seasonal flu shots do, mainly being potential for 2 days of a sore arm, a possible headache, and possibly feeling mildly achy

Doctors prefer to give out all information of possibilities so that people can be prepared for the chance that it may just be as bad as some of the serious flu seasons of the past that killed vast numbers of people. H1N1 IS bad because it has been killing children and pregnant women, some of whom have previously been healthy. When something is out that kills otherwise healthy pregnant women and children, that calls for BIG concern.

I looked up the article about the CBS study. It questions if the hype over h1n1 was to sell vaccines, although it fails to mention that in the US, every h1n1 dose is paid by the government, and clinics/hospitals can NOT charge for the vaccine (only for administration costs, that cost being the same as the administration fee for seasonal flu)

Sure, not every cough will be h1n1, and yes, a majority of cases pass mildly, but because it can hit so hard at the young and the pregnant, it deserves the caution that was advised.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

I agree, especially in light of your heart condition. Most people have the side effect of a sore arm for a few days (this is also what I, my husband, sister and brother in law had as the only side effect). If you are allergic to eggs then you may want to speak to your doctor to see what your options are. I do not think that people who are allergic to eggs should get the shot due to an increased risk of anaphylaxis (the virus is cultured in eggs to create the vaccine). If you have by chance had a flu shot before with no major effects than you can expect the same outcome with this one.

I would not put too much stock in what the media have to say. They constantly blow things out of proportion in order to sell papers and get ratings. I have read through some of these CBS articles and they all say different things. Some say get the shot because everyone is dying, others say the pandemic is passing so we're out of the woods and yet others promote "flu fighting" foods like probiotics which according to one CBS article is good for the "intestinal track" .. this is not a typo as it is mentioned twice in the same article. True that probiotics are generally good for the immune system but I wouldn't go relying solely on an article written by someone who obviously doesn't own a dictionary and who cannot tell the difference between a part of the body (the intestinal tract) and the place for relay races. Medical sources of info are generally better than the popular media for these things.

The vaccine is good prevention for you as well as those around you so I would seriously consider getting it. Best of luck to you.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
(female)

alwaysonthago HB User

It’s true that we have a national pandemic going on right now. The science is evident: we have a pandemic of autism, ADHD, juvenile diabetes, learning disabilities and asthma in the US.

We have mothers who take their healthy children to be vaccinated and the next day, or even a few hours later – or sometimes immediately – their children start exhibiting physical and mental problems that weren’t there before they were vaccinated.

And even if health officials like those at the CDC are unwilling to even briefly entertain the possibility of a connection to a vaccine, there are physicians and researchers who do believe vaccines are to blame.

One researcher in particular, Dr. J. Bart Classen, president and Chief Executive Officer of Classen Immunotherapies, spent years independently studying safer uses of vaccines in his private research stage biopharmaceutical company.

His work shows that common vaccines are one of the most important causes of diabetes in children and in highly immunized adults. And although the CDC adamantly denies that Classen’s work is on target, he has colleagues who believe as he does, and who also question a cookie-cutter vaccination policy.

Choice is an important constitutional concept for U.S. citizens in particular. And it is choice that the majority of people are thinking of when they ask questions about vaccines.

Closed Thread