It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
(female)

mlacey HB User
H1N1 survivors

I am a 48 year old female.
In nov 2009, I was at work and developed a migrain, the kind that messes with your vision. I left work early that day
the next morning I got up to get ready for work. for some reason I was not feeling very good so I called my boss and told him
I won't be coming in. I am usually really good on not calling off. that night I was throwing up and had this tremendous pain
in the left side of my chest. my husband took me to the Er. the PA that saw me told me I had the symptoms of the H1N1. so she gave me a shot of toradol
for the pain and something for the vomiting and send me home. the next night I was still in alot of pain I could not move. so my Husband took me back to the
Er then I got to see a real physician. my 02 was down at 87'. they admitted me. I dont remember much after that. they had to fly me into the next city. from there
thats when they put me in a medical induced coma and put me on a ventilator. I woke up three weeks later. not fully aware of my surroundings. a week later I was
starting to focus a little better then they moved me to Rehab then I stayed there for another week. doctors were telling me they were amazed in my recovery
they had little hopes of me surviving. I had to have three chest tubes my left lung had collapsed my 02 dropped clear down to 64'. I was told they even had a priest
in my room. when I finally got to come home I was using a walker I had to have my husband help me with my showers and toileting. they did diagnose me with emphazema
and supposably neropathy. but told me I would be fine in a year its been almost two years and my legs and feet still hurt. and I still dont have a lot of strength.
I still continue to have problems but can't get dissability because I have not been able to afford to see a doctor because of the high hospital bills (200.000 to 300.000)
to back me up. I am really curiose to hear from other H1n1 survivors to know if they are going through the same things. and if they are still seeing a doctor and what are there
responses.

Last edited by mlacey; 09-12-2011 at 10:22 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
(male)

bob mcnamar HB User
Thumbs up Re: H1N1 survivors

I cought hn1, january20th 2011, I went to the er, and they sent me home, they said it was broncitus, 5 days of 104 plus fever, my doughter had to help me to get to the hospital, I collaped in the waiting room, I was there for 3 hrs when they decided to send me home. I made it off the cart and hit the floor, so they had to admite me, they put me on oxygen80%, the next day they tested me for h1n1, and did x-rays, i had h1m1 and double phnumonia, thay night about 7pm I died, they stoped working on meto go out to tell my 17yr old dauther i was dead, someone hit me with the pattles one last time and i was back sort of, they inhbated me but put the thing they put down your throat, that was backwards,suffacated on life flight to u of iowa hospital, while there i died 2 more times, kiddneyfailure, had trac, 2 chest tubes, 45 days in a coma, they found cancerwhen they put the trac in, , i had to learn to walk again, i spent almost 5 months in hospital, I got out in may, went back in and had cancer thyroid and parathyroids cut out, in july, radation in sept. , as as of oct 2012 nownd i am still fighting p.t.. lung p.t., each time i get sick, it gets worse, my lungs are at 20%, i have nuropty in my feet and legs, ,, I know how you feel, if its any hope , if you keep appelling with ssi they will send you to a doctor, make sure its a doctor of yur choice, you will win in the end, my doctor wrote a letter to ssi, and it said the only way i would get better is if there was a christmas merical, just remember if you are 6 ft above ground and not 6ft below, that makes you 12 ft tall, ya just have to find out how to be bullet proof.!!!
keep fighting, never give up, i know what you went through , and what you are going through

The following user gives a hug of support to bob mcnamar:
mlacey (10-12-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to bob mcnamar For This Useful Post:
mlacey (10-12-2012)
Old 04-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
(female)

cgarrido HB User
Re: H1N1 survivors

i also had h1n1 may of 2009. very much the same things you had . I was in a coma for 1 1/2 mths in the hospital for almost 3 mths and rehab. I had about 4 chest tubes , a gtube, was on a vent and have a pace maker. My heart stopped and I died 3 times. Most of the dr.'s told my family to get things in order it didn't look good. I was the sickest the hospital has ever seen. They called me the miracles of Mather Hospital. It's been almost 4 yrs. later and still on oxygen. when I came home I was on 4 litters now i'm down to 1 1/2 litters. I still have neuropathy in both feet and both outer thighs . I could not walk and use my arms and hands when I woke up from the coma. It took a while to get back on my feet. After being out of the hospital I was put on an inhaler because I developed asthma . I was sick every 4-6 wks for almost 2 yrs. The inhalers were making me sick , they kept giving me bronchitis. We tried to get off of them and when I did now 2 yrs. later I have not been sick at all . I still have heavy coughing where my lungs hurt. Still very tired but I'm finally able to walk around the mall instead of using a scooter. This h1n1 has ruined my life , I had a 5 yr.old at the time I got sick she is now 9. I've missed so much in 4 yrs. I do give all the glory to God . I also believe God has put my dr. in my path . He is wonderful to me . He has gone above and beyond. My husband has had to put up with a lot also. He helps me so much.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
(female)

Stacyga HB User
Re: H1N1 survivors

In October of 2009 I came down with the flu. I nursed it for 4 days. On the fourth day I began having a fever of 104 that would not come down despite tylenol, ibuprofen and ice packs. By this time, my husband also had the flu, so I had him take me and drop me off at the ER. My 02 Sat was 86% and I was diagnosed with bilateral pneumonia. Respiratory Therapists did not believe the sat results were accurate because I did not display difficulty breathing or any cyanosis (purplish color around lips or severe paleness). This determination and further continuation of blantant disregard almost cost me my life.

Upon admission, I continued to get sicker and sicker by the day. I was on higher levels of oxygen then are ever recommended when using a nasal canula. At one time I was on 15 liters forced nasal canula with an 02 Sat of 86%. (it makes me mad just thinking about it). I felt like I was fighting for my life. I don't know what was going on with the doctor during all this, but I can tell you he is no longer in practice. Finally after about 5-6 days of this, the doctor came in one morning when I was gasping for air and I told him I was tired of fighting and I was just soooo tired, he did an abg and my oxygen level was 61. He told me that not only did I have bacterial pneumonia, I also had viral pnuemonia. I was induced into a coma, placed on the vent and transported to a larger hospital where I was diagnosed with H1N1 after my samples had been sent to the CDC.

I have never felt the same and I tell people that all the time and they just treat me like...... wow, that was several years ago, can't you move on. My chemical reactions changed, but I no longer had insurance and was unable to get checked out. I began having anxiety, heart arrythmias, difficulty with my speech and thought processes and sometimes with my eyes focusing when I change fields of vision. The whole way my brain processes things is different since the H1N1. I figured.... PTS and probably some minor brain changes due me being hypoxic for so long before they vented me.

Finally this year I have insurance and have gone for a physical. My Pituitary Gland and thyroid are all out of whack.... hense the anxiety and arrythmias and visual disturbances. I am always hot and didn't think anything about it until now I found that goes along with this. Now I am wondering if the virus did something to damage these organs. I also have neuropathy in my hands and feet. (intermittently)I was a healthy 38 year old woman before all this.

I am blessed to by able to physically function, but my mind and decision making and processing of information is so totally messed up. This week, I have had an EKG with abnormal findings, wore a heart monitor for 24hours (no results yet), blood work, ultrasound of my thyroid and parathyroid, echo of my heart and have a ct of my parathyroid. It made me think that I should try to find a survivors board and see what after affects other survivors are having to see if there are any commonalities.

I wish you all the best of luck~~~

Last edited by Stacyga; 09-05-2013 at 06:50 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stacyga For This Useful Post:
mlacey (09-05-2013)
Reply Reply