It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2011, 02:39 AM   #1
(female)

caz72me HB User
Question Flu Vaccination if you've had swine flu?

My husband to be had swine flu last December, he was extremely ill and was put in an induced coma as had respiratory failure, Doctors were surprised that he survived with the state that his lungs got to, his heart stopped 3 times over a month and we are very very lucky to have him with us today. I was told to expect the worse and it was the most horrible time of my life that I can never explain to anyone, amongst other things the worse times being having to witness my fiance being resuscitated and being afraid to leave his side incase it was the last time I would see him. My fiance up until this point was a healthy 38 year old with no underlying conditions, I am diabetic and have the flu jab every year so I was protected and am off on Saturday to have this years jab. My fiance has made an amazing recovery and apart from being left with temporary sterility, getting out of breath alot quicker than before, a dodgy tummy (probably from the stress - IBS or something), an acid reflux condition (can't remember name) but has to take ameprazole daily, he is totally back to normal. Anyway I would have thought as his lungs reacted so badly to the swine flu virus then surely he should be offered the flu vaccination? but nothing, I've had my appointment through as diabetic but he has had nothing, he doesn't want to make a fuss and won't go and ask but I am feeling quite worried about him catching even normal flu with what happened. Has anyone on here who had pneumonia or lung problems from swine flu been offered the seasonal flu jab this year and should I be contacting the surgery and asking the question if my fiance won't?

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2011, 06:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Flu Vaccination if you've had swine flu?

Absolutely. You call them. I expect the only reason he hasn't been called is that he isn't on a specific list. I don't believe there's any vaccine rationing this year, and even if there were, he should be a priority.

Has he seen a pulmonologist to check his lungs for long-term damage?

Last edited by janewhite1; 09-29-2011 at 06:14 AM.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:09 AM   #3
(female)

caz72me HB User

Yes I thought he probably should but didn't want to look stupid asking the question at the Docs. I might ask them whilst I am there on Saturday for mine, they will be running a few more vaccination clinics before the winter sets in here so maybe they'll add him to one of those. Over in the UK they are still only offering the seasonal flu jab to those in 'at risk' groups, so they obviously don't include previous sufferers on that list.

He has only had a followup by way of a lung function test about 2 months after discharge, as the results of that were quite good, so they said they didn't need to see him again, but I have noticed him coughing alot recently and he has put on alot of weight from not being so active as he was before, (he has put back on the 10 kilos he lost whilst in a coma and at least another 10kg on top) the problem is .. he is Doctor phobic and not good at listening, and never wants me to come with him, its possible his Doctor has asked him to come back in a while for check ups but he probably didn't take that bit in, and unless the patient chases anything up over here it doesn't get picked up by the Doctor that he hasn't been back.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Oh, it's the same here. And no one calls you for your flu shot, you go and make the appointment yourself. Since developing asthma, I've been very careful about that.

Over here, though, they are beginning to promote flu shots for everyone, especially school-aged children, on the theory that the best way to prevent flu deaths and complications is to keep the disease from spreading widely in the first place.

Closed Thread