HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Swine Flu (H1N1) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/swine-flu-h1n1/)
-   -   H1N1 Adult survivor of ECMO (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/swine-flu-h1n1/890688-h1n1-adult-survivor-ecmo.html)

azkitten 02-23-2012 09:15 PM

H1N1 Adult survivor of ECMO

I just passed my 1 year mark of when I went to the hospital and was there for almost 3 months. I was put into a coma and paralized for 6 weeks in order to put me on life support in order to heal my body.

I've been told that 6 months to a year will let me know how my body will be for the rest of my life. March 20 of last year is when I got to come home so i'm thinking i'm pretty close to what I will be. I'm a 49yr female and have been left with neropathy, PTSD and loss of some of my mobility.

Are there any other adult survivors out there? I would love to compare some of the side effects that we have been left with.

Thank you all, I look forward to hearing from you

hondaboy 03-04-2012 01:18 AM

Re: H1N1 Adult survivor of ECMO

Hi there i to was taken ill over christmas 2011 and was placed in a comma , I spent 3.5 weeks in the comma and 6 weeks in hospital .I had ECMO at Glenfield hospital in Leicester and came out ok from it . My lungs are very scarred from the swine flu and they have a reduced capacity now and i get out of puff when i do to much. The swine flu has left me with dammage to my nerves in my thighs so i have to take 2700mg of gabbapintin each day to ease the various feelings and pains i get in them . i now have PTSD and have started to take tablets to try and get me on a level ground .I would like to know if anyone else is having nerve problems and other side effects as i have been told we the survivers are writing the books on this as no one can give solid answers as to the impact and lenght it can have on the body .

mselisa27 06-27-2012 11:13 PM

Dear H1N1 survivor

I am a 34 yr old survivor of H1N1, I was struck by the illness at work from a co-worker who's wife had it and I got it a few days later that was Nov 10th 2009. I was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance due to my low saturation levels and Dr's had no clue what was wrong with me because my lungs sounded normal, but when they did an MRI they found that my lungs we full of liquid and I had pneumonia it took them a few days to think I might have the swine flu and was immediately quarantined which was embarrassing. And then put into a drug induced coma and was intubated for 2 weeks. I was in the Hospital for a month and was given a drug that saved my live but was not approved my the FDA. when i was released I thought things were going to be back to normal but I was in for a rude awakening. I had to learn to walk and talk. Now I suffer from CFS, Fibromyalgia, respiratory issues, anxiety and panic attacks, PTSD. I can not work and am in the process of disability awaiting an answer if I qualify. I take morphine twice a day among many other drugs.This has been noting but an upward battle but at least I'm alive and have my family. Thank you for posting now I know I'm not alone.

surviving one day at a time.

Lindyp29 07-31-2012 06:06 PM

Hi Folks, I contracted swine flu in Sept 09, when I was 26. I was in a coma for 10 weeks and in hospital for nearly six months. I left hospital with numerous health problems and my lungs were ravaged (doctors words). My left lung was infected and I had to have a chest drain fitted, complication lead to me having to have my left lung removed in Oct 2010. Up until this point I had been making slow progress but had come on quite a bit, but this just set me right back to the start. My recovery both physically and mentally has been slow. I've seen the biggest improvements in the last 6 months, so that would be about two and a half years after contracting swine flu. I managed to move back to my flat December 2011 and although I need assistance I'm getting on well. From my experience your body just needs time. I was always one step forward 2 steps back. Always catching bugs and colds, panicking anytime I needed to go somewhere. I had to do a lot of self talk and mantras and always thinking positive, also giving up gluten seemed to improve my health. I'm still really breathless, I've tried to start increasing my walking but I'm finding I seem to get more breathless the more I do. I still haven't regained all my muscle mass as you'll know it's almost impossible to exercise when you feel constantly ill or down and your breathless. I'm determined to get back to my old self or as close as I possibly can and haven't really entertained the idea that this is the way I'm going to be forever. I think I probably need another year recovery, hopefully less.
The more you do the better you will get but I found burning myself out was never a good idea. I seemed to have very low reserves, the swine flu seemed to have zapped everything. It was my habit of pushing myself to hard on days I felt well. Which is hard not to do as you spend so much time feeling unwell. I started limiting myself to how many times I went out or got visitors in order to give my body a chance to recover. I was on a lot of medication and painkillers including morphine and found these contributed a lot to how ill I was feeling. I gradually cut them all down and out and now just take occasional painkillers and antibiotics for chest infections when required.
I hope this helps, there were times I felt so hopeless and thought things would never get better. Now I'm amazed at how far I have come. I just have to keep reminding myself of this when I get frustrated with my current health and mobility.
Take care xxxxx

mlacey 09-14-2012 12:28 PM

yes i too am a h1n1 survivor back in nov 2009, I was in a induced coma on life support, the doctors told me I would be fine in a year and its been almost 3 years and I still have alot of difficulties I don't have health inssurance, so its hard to continue to get health care when I can no-longer work, I had applied for dissability when I was still in the hospital scince then I have been denied I have been trying to find others with same experience has I have had. I want to know if anyone has gotten dissabilty for this I would sure like to hear from others