It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2003, 10:52 AM   #1

whimsygurl HB User
Exclamation meeting my email buddy

ok well, I've been talking to this guy over the internet for a few months now, and although he's 'a lot' older than me, we really like each other and I wouldn't be lying to say that we're in love. He wants me to visit him in about 2 months, I'm 19 and the only problem is I don't know how to tell my mother as to what I want to do. She's really old fashioned but she says I can do whatever I like ( although I know this would make her hit the roof ). I'm dying to meet this guy and I'm so scared to tell her I want to. Thing is, she thinks all guys on the internet are pedophile serial rapists/killers who leave girls like me in ditches. *sigh* What do I do? How can I tell her that I want to visit him without her deciding to disown her own daughter???? HELP!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2003, 12:19 PM   #2
(female)

ILuvPurple HB User
Whimsygurl, please think this out first.A person over the internet can pretend to be anyone they want!I`m not saying this guy`s not legit, but just be careful. If you decide to meet him take a friend or family member with you,and be in a public place at all times. By the way your mom`s thinking is not a bit old fashioned(at least not about this issue).just my opinion.Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2003, 12:49 PM   #3
Inactive

kama2080 HB User
Purple is right about this one..it's perfectly okay for you to want to meet him, but you need to be smart about it.
Here are two options:

1) Take a friend/family member with you when you meet him the first time.

2) Meet him in a very public place, take a cell phone, and let a loved one know where you are meeting him.

Your mom is just being a mom. My mom would probably bust a cap if she thought I was meeting someone off the internet (and in this day and age you can never be too careful!) Whatever you decide, be careful and have fun..good luck!

Kat

[This message has been edited by kama2080 (edited 03-15-2003).]

Old 03-16-2003, 01:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dramaqueen HB User
You need to be careful. This person could be anyone. Like the posters above said, take someone with you and make sure you meet in a public place.

Old 03-16-2003, 09:33 PM   #5
Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
Everyone here is right. Take every precaution you can. I met a couple guys from the net and I am so lucky that they were everything they said they were and we are all the best of friends today 2 years later we still chat daily and see each other about every few months. But alot of them are bad and they lie I just got lucky I guess. Take a friend and ALWAYS meet in a public place. Take care.
Autumn.

Old 03-20-2003, 05:48 PM   #6
Inactive

Eeyore II HB User
There are a few things to consider first. first dont rush into this.

how long have you talked to this person?
have you talked on the phone?
if you have only talked a month or so I would wait.
PLEASE meet in a public place the first time.
Although it can be dangerous and scarry it can be great also.
I met my husband on the internet the best thing we ever did. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love2.gif we talked on the phone for several months before we met. and met with my friend in a public place.
you also said he was older than you how much older just curious?
be carteful and good luck
as for your mother let her know you are taking a friend and meeting in a public place to help ease your mind.

------------------
EDD-AUGUST 15
WISHIN FOR A BABY GIRL

Closed Thread