It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2003, 01:55 PM   #1

hillbilly_chick HB User
Exclamation To tan or not to tan?

I recently started using the tanning bed. I use a good lotion before and after I lay in the tanning bed, but I have heard that tanning beds are not safe. That they can make you look 60 by the time you are 25, and could cause cancer(but uh so can the sun..).. Should I continue laying, or stop?

------------------
~*Hillbilly Chick*~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2003, 03:12 PM   #2

GoodnightElisabeth HB User
I suggest stop. Not only to they cause premature aging, but tanning just 4-5 times a year can quadruple your chances of getting skin cancer. Sure, you may look good now...but that's a high price to pay for looking terrible later, or not even be alive.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2003, 04:42 PM   #3

illusions HB User
I do agree with Elisabeth about the whole skin cancer thing. It is a risk and well, right now, I'm taking that risk. The only reason why I'm tanning is becuz I have a wedding to be in in June and I'm white as a ghost. Some people like live in those beds. What reason are you using the tanning bed for? Just to get a tan or for a different reason?

Illusions

Old 03-11-2003, 07:46 PM   #4

hillbilly_chick HB User
I'm using it b/c my boyfriend invited me 2 his prom, and it's in May, and I am SO pale...I plan on quitting afterwards.

------------------
~*Hillbilly Chick*~

Old 03-12-2003, 10:18 AM   #5

charby15 HB User
I say if you are doing for a reason like prom then you are fine!! I will do it every once in a while for vacations cause i burn so easy i like to get a base tan so i won't fry!! I new a girl in High school that would seriously....no joke....tan 3 times a day every day!! She would start in the town our school was in and tan at the salon there then on her way home stop at 2 other salons and tan again!!! she was ORANGE!!! she is going to look like the old lady off of "Something about Mary" when she gets old!!

Old 03-12-2003, 10:43 AM   #6

illusions HB User
LOL Charby; that chick is gonna cut her life short!

Anyways, I think it's totally fine hillbilly_chick! A prom is an important event! Go for it! I went tanning before my graduation and then stopped afterwards. You'll be fine!! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

Illusions

Old 03-12-2003, 01:31 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dramaqueen HB User
Im really wouldn't recommend it, but since its for a special occasion I guess it's okay.

Old 03-21-2003, 04:20 PM   #8

whyme?! HB User
Thumbs up

i think you should go for it, i mean i was pale... im talking about ghostly! and im hispanic (not that that really means i HAVE to be dark, but.. ugh 4get that) neway i was self consious about my skin so i really wanted to get colour, spring is on the way and i want to be comfortable with myself. i have been tanning and im satisfied with tha colour (tanned everyday for two weeks) so i'll tan only 2 times a week from now on... i dont think thats bad. so i say your fine!

Old 03-21-2003, 08:02 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

toaskornottoask HB User
I disagree "whyme!?". It has been proven that tanning beds even 4 times a year SIGNIFICANTLY increase your risk of cancer. And 2 times a week? 104 times a year is a deathwish for your future. You may look good now, but not when you're 60 (if you make it that long)

Closed Thread