It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2003, 03:06 PM   #1

littlebrace HB User
Question which science class senior year???

Right now I am a (deleted) in high school and I am taking Bio. Next year I am taking chemistry. I want to become an orthodontist, so my senior year should I take Human Bio or AP Bio? Which one looks better when appyling for college?

[This message has been edited by tntmod5 (edited 04-02-2003).]

Old 02-28-2003, 08:02 PM   #2
(male)

mfree1 HB User
Littlebrace,

I think you should take AP Bio only if you're REALLY good at biology. If not, there's nothing wrong with taking ordinary bio. It would be much better for you to get an A in regular bio than a C in the AP class.

I was very happy that I chose to take honors calculus and honors chemistry (not AP). I did well, got into an excellent school, and went on to get two graduate degrees.

It's tough to get accepted to dental school, but it's not as competitive as some other programs (psychology, medicine, veterinary medicine). So you should be in good shape either way.

Good luck!

Mats.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2003, 10:03 PM   #3

fluffyrat HB User
Actually:
It is better to get the C in the AP Bio. I have been told this by college admissions officers. The reason being, this shows that you were willing to take a challenge, and did not take the easy way out and take regular bio knowing that you'd get the better grade. You weren't afraid of the challenge. PLUS: If you score at least a 3 I believe it is on the AP exam, you'll get college credit for it.

Old 03-01-2003, 05:53 PM   #4

littlebrace HB User
Question

Also, do you need like straight A's in science in order to go into an AP science class?

Old 03-07-2003, 10:02 AM   #5

Shanny HB User
Hey. If you want to be an ortho or thinking about going into the science field and you are already past biology and chem, try taking Anatomy and Physiology. I took Anatomy and Physiology I in the fall duel credit through the community college and yes it is HARD but I made it through and I do have an A in it for my HS transcript. Right now I am in A & PII which is HARD but I think i will live. It is worth it though, once you get those scholarships in the mail As long as you work hard, anything is possible!
~Shanny

Old 03-31-2003, 08:13 AM   #6
(female)

Sehsun HB User
Take the class that you want to take. Taking AP Biology will look good for college, but I hear that it's very hard. If you're willing to take the challenge, go for it! But don't overload yourself with hard classes and be miserable. Personally, I wish that our school offered Human Biology; it sounds like fun! But I'm taking Anatomy & Physiology, which is probably very similar. Good luck!

Closed Thread