It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2003, 09:57 PM   #1
(female)

Wheresrunt HB User
Post Mom needs help

I have a son who just turned thirteen.His feet have grown from size 5 to a size 9 1/2 in one year. He is five feet tall, and he weighs 95 pounds. He seems to be much more emotional and is concerned about his height. I've never raised a teenager and i don't remember my brother going through puberty. Could someone please tell me what to expect so i can help him through this? As a mom i can remember what i went through as a teenager but i have no idea what a boy would be feeling or what kind of changes he will be going through.My husband seems to have suffered some sort of memory block so he hasn't been much help. My son and i have really good communication. He is not afraid to ask me questions.....I just don't have the answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-05-2003, 11:30 PM   #2
(female)

QweenyBluEyes HB User
I'm a (deleted)yr. old girl so I might not be much help. I would just say to be there for him, be close to him. Reassure him. Since his feet have grown so much so fast, his height could do just the same! And having that size of a shoe most definitely means he will be taller! Being sensitive about those types of things are rather common, which is something he should know. Pretty much every teenager is sensitive about something.

Maybe if you told me some of his questions I could help? Just to get a little bit more of an idea on the situation.

~Qweeny

[This message has been edited by tntmod5 (edited 04-07-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2003, 10:36 AM   #3
(female)

Wheresrunt HB User
He wants to know when his voice is going to change and when will he start growing. Most of the boys his age are taller and so are most of the girls. He has a girlfriend as well. He is really honest with me and shows me the letters she writes him. I know he has kissed her.It was a happy and a sad moment for me at the same time if that makes sense. I've also noticed that he has little nubbins. Or his nipples are slightly sticking out. He is very slender so i'm assuming it is hormones that has caused this. I'm not sure if this is normal for boys and i told him not to worry about it.

Old 04-06-2003, 01:32 PM   #4
(female)

QweenyBluEyes HB User
I think that's great that he has a girlfriend! About his voice, some guys don't change until they are 16. Their growth is a little later than girls. I would assume since you are already seeing changes in him, that you should just give it a couple years. He WILL grow, just takes time. But once his growth spurt comes, he will probably shoot up like a weed.

Just tell him not to worry so much, everyone notices more about themself than people would notice. And besides, everything he is worrying about seems completely normal. Anyways, hope I helped!

~Qweeny

Old 04-06-2003, 03:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dramaqueen HB User
Yes he will grow, and it will be all of a sudden I bet. Guys are like that. You can be there for him and reassure him as his mother.

You can expect him to have a few mood swings (well alot) when he's going through the teenage years and to say things he doesn't mean.

You can ask any questions you want on here and then get back to him, or you can ask him to post ohn here himself and we'll all help out.

You might want to post this topic on the parenting issues board as well, and you might get a few more replies.

Old 04-06-2003, 09:18 PM   #6
(female)

Wheresrunt HB User
Thank you for your advice. I told him "I've never raised a teen-ager and you have just become one. We're both going to learn together and we are both going to make mistakes , but we will get through this." He really is a great kid.

Old 04-07-2003, 01:05 AM   #7
(female)

QweenyBluEyes HB User
And you're a great mother. You get a great kid from a great mother.

Old 04-07-2003, 07:21 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dramaqueen HB User
Agreed. You do sound like a great mother.

Closed Thread