It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2003, 08:35 PM   #1

Maikeru HB User
Post Please lend me some advice!

Close friends and family all know me very well and they all think of me as the funny person that has great jokes etc. My older sisters always say how great of a personality I have and they know the real me. My problem is that when I go out with friends around people I don't know (not like this around adults, just teens) I get all tense and I never know the right thing to say. I end up comming off as quiet and boring since I do not talk much in these situations and also at school. Then I get home with my buddies and Im the loudest of the bunch and make everyone laugh. I wish I can be like this around everyone I meet, it's just there is always somthing in my head holding me back. Maybe it's because I lack confidence around people my age that I have just met, not sure. I know being quiet is a huge turn off for girls and I think this is my reason that I have never had a girlfriend yet. I wish that they could know the real me and get to know me because they would find that they would have a great time with me and that Im a funny guy who would care for them greatly. Any advice? It is just so hard for me to open up around strangers. Everyone I know well comments on what great people skills I have but you would have never guessed this if you had just met me.

[This message has been edited by Maikeru (edited 04-09-2003).]

Old 04-10-2003, 05:10 AM   #2
(male)

Zoider HB User
I'm excactly like that, I can do/say almost anything, when I'm with my crew.. lol, but when I go somewhere else, with them or alone, and I'm with some peeps, I'm not so, firmiliar with, I tend to settle down, and be more calm, shy, and collective. I know it sucks, and stuff.. but, I find it easier if you have some or at least one of your good friends there with you. Make them laugh, or what ever, and eventually people will notice how right on you are, and eventually you'll feel more at home with the other crowd, and you can start messin aroun with them, belive me, I've done it many times.. It just takes a few times to get used to it.. lol.. Anyway, if you have any more questions feel free to ask =P

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2003, 07:19 PM   #3

FaithfulyWaiting HB User
Smile

I'm just like that too. I really have been struggling with that, right now, because I know I need to loosen up and not stress so much when I'm around people who are my age, or younger and stuff. I've been setting small goals and FORCING myself to start being a little more outgoing..its really cool though, and I've been feeling alot better about myself, as a person. not stupid, like I feel when I am really quiet and act shy.

Old 04-10-2003, 08:06 PM   #4
Inactive

netviper13 HB User
You know, I was always the quiet and shy one. Then one day I realized it was killing my social life that I didn't feel comfortable when I wasn't with close friends, so I decided to not care what other people think and just be myself.

So what has come of it? My number of friends has grown exponentially, people who used to make fun of me are now friends of mine, and I can just have a good time. Am I still somewhat self-conscious? Damn straight; but I just be myself and find that things work out (be assured it's not because I'm the type to be popular either, I basically fit the 'nerd' stereotype).

Closed Thread