It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2003, 08:27 AM   #1

LimpBizketgurl-KS72 HB User
Question do underwire bras give you cancer

hey
umm my best friend wont wear underwire bras b/c she told me that underwire bras can give you breast cancer. it kinda got me thinkin. so does it? please tell me asap!!!!
~karen

Old 04-23-2003, 02:18 PM   #2

flippincrazy14 HB User
Thumbs up

no lol its a rumor look, all ya gotta do is search on the internet for REAL info, no myths

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 04-23-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2003, 02:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dramaqueen HB User
No, it doesn't give you breast cancer and neither does spray deoderants. Thousands, no millions of women wear underwire bras.

Old 04-23-2003, 06:25 PM   #4
Inactive

DanaJ HB User
No, they don't cause cancer. I don't even know how someone can even remotely think that. But hey, as long as asking the question gives you the correct info and answers, it's all good

Old 04-23-2003, 09:31 PM   #5

Jimini HB User
LOL.. no hun they don't give you breast cancer!dont' worry and go for full support

Old 04-24-2003, 04:52 PM   #6
(female)

gem2003 HB User
Actually there have been studies done that do link underwire bras to breast cancer. They DO NOT cause breast cancer but they can be a contributing factor. It is due to the fact that the underwire can often be very tight, thus reducing circulation to the breasts and hampering the drainage of lymphnodes (which carry toxins into the blood and away from the breasts).Therefore, while I would not say not to wear underwires (I do everyday!), it is important to gently massage your breasts underneath and around the sides upon removing your bra, just to aid in getting the circulation flowing properly.

Old 04-24-2003, 07:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
gem> how about making sure your bra fits properly?

It isn't supposed to be tight. It's supposed to be snug, not cutting off circulation.

It takes approximately 20 mmHg of pressure to stop lymph flow. One will notice swelling, etc if that happens. Remember that many of the lymph nodes that circulate your breast are in your armpits and circulate DOWN to your breast, in fact not crossing your braline.

Here's a hint -- if your bra is pinching on the sides of your body and creating lines, try setting it a notch looser. No bra has to be that loose -- and if any bra is that tight, it doesn't matter if it's got an underwire or not -- it'll still cut off lymph flow.

Old 04-24-2003, 08:00 PM   #8

canabaloni HB User
I did a web search on breast cancer and underwire. Everyone has opinions. No one has facts. The prevailing opinion is that the idea of a relationship between underwire bras and cancer is far-fetched at best. As an intrepid investigator, however I did a search of the scientific literature through the National Library of Medicine. No study exists on the bra/cancer link. I did find two studies (retrospective) on breast SIZE and Cancer. The Results?......NO relationship when other factors are controlled for. So bottom line is..no one knows, but anyone who says there definitely is an increased risk is a liar and is itchin' for a fight.

Old 04-25-2003, 03:01 PM   #9
(female)

gem2003 HB User
Obviously a well-fitting bra will lessen your chance of reducing the circulation, but many women (especially those that are bigger in the breast and thus more likely to wear an underwire for support) do not have theirs bras fitted correctly...I was simply stating the reasoning behind the idea that underwires could contribute to breast cancer, although obviously these studies have not been proven conclusive.

Old 04-27-2003, 03:17 PM   #10
(female)

Aleii HB User
[removed]

[It is not allowed to post links to other message boards.
Please read and follow the board posting guidelines
as you agreed to do when you registered for Healthboards.]

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 04-27-2003).]

Old 05-04-2003, 05:47 PM   #11

rach923 HB User
oh sheesh...everything in this world causes cancer, and oddly enough, evrything prevents it at the same time...scientists are always changing their minds...so just wear whatever bra you feel is most comfortable, and chances are it will be no threat to your health.

rach

August 1999: diagnosed with GERD and IBS...put on zantac, then aciphex
Spring 2000: diagnosed with TMJ...have lower splint
September 2000: hospitalized for failure to thrive due to malnutrition and dehydration; fed with ng tube for 3 months, put on prilosec
2001-02: developed chronic sinusitis/rhinitis from NG tube, put on nasonex and allegra
January 2002: switched GI's, diagnosed with hiatal hernia, switched to nexium, added peppermint oil, put on bentyl PRN for pain, zoloft for nausa
March 2003: IBS getting worse, switched PRN bentyl to BID levbid ER
May 2003: diagnosed with asthma from GERD, put on advair and singulair, albuterol PRN
May 2003: back pain and limited mobility, caused by 2002 car accident and dance injury, unidentified
April-June 2003: minor ear irritation and hearing problems, and extra sinus swelling, unidentified
May-June 2003: heartburn recurring even with meds!- GI put me on 40mg Pepcid Rx in the morning and at bedtime...Seems to be holding over till August...
July: chest x-ray came back, found mild thoracic scoliosis, and small "heart shadowing", EKG results are coming...

Closed Thread