It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2003, 07:43 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User
Unhappy High School Prom

My high school prom is coming up in about a month and I don't know if I should go or not. Obviously, I would love to go, but have a few things holding me back. My main problem is getting a date. I know this may make me sound like a bad person, but I want to keep my reputation. I know I should not care what others think, but I just can't help it. Now, I hang out with the "more popular" kids at school who date the more attractive girls so it's hard for me to get a date because I'm not as attractive as them, especially since I have acne which has caused some scarring. And so if I take someone who in their eyes (my friends' eyes) is not attractive, they may give me a hard time. I don't know what to do. I want to go, but acne is keeping me from getting a date, which is keeping me from going. Someone please help me out. Thanks.

Old 05-04-2003, 07:59 PM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
If your acne is that bad that it is causing scarring then you should see your doc and get some medical help for it. As for the prom you need to do what is right for you. Never mind what your friends think or will say..................if they can't live with who you take to the prom should you decide to go then they really aren't much as far as friends go. Friends are people who accept you as you are not for who you take to the prom. Sounds to me like you are a much more mature person than your friends are anyway.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2003, 09:37 PM   #3

gwle HB User
First of all, your acne is not preventing you from getting a date, its your immaturirty/insecurities that is. MLGABLE is totally right. Who cares about who you date or bring to the prom? They're not your friends if they can't accept you for who you are. Go with someone you wanna be with, not with someone who is there that you think will make others happy.

Oh yea, let me tell you about the friends you make in high school, especially of the "popular variety". They don't last! I can guarantee you that you will never or rarely see them again once you graduate. Trust me, all this "bro's for life" or "we'll always be friends" BS that you write in each other's yearbooks is just that, BS! Why? Once you graduate, you all will go your separate ways. Whether it be going to college in another city, getting a job, joining the millitary, starting a family, getting incarcerated, or whatever else; you all will live separate lives from each other. All my close friends from HS I rarely see anymore, maybe once or twice a month. We have to make an effort and plan a head just to hang out now a days. And these are people who only live about 10 minutes away from me. Then everyone else who I wasn't close with in HS, I coincidently run into them maybe once a year. Whenever I run into someone from my HS days they tell me the exact same thing. My point is: don't get too close to these people, don't make any bonds. Once you graduate, it's a whole new life.

Old 05-05-2003, 09:53 AM   #4
(male)

cherok HB User
exactly. Since it is your final year of high school, you should go out with a bang. Take whomever you want to the prom and do not worry what others think. After high school most people either
1)regret not doing things that their own silly personal inscurities held them back from and
2)people who regret being such cocky *******s back in that day. Life is more than a popularity contest, dont let that petty crap get to you.
There are a third variety of people too.. those who never escape the bonds of the popularity contest. Who always think that they need to prove themselves all of them time. you dont want to be one of these, do you?

Take someone you will have a fun time with, dont pretend that you are "settling" for someone les than you whaen you choose a girl to take. It will make her feel bad and make you look like a fool.

Old 05-05-2003, 02:41 PM   #5

HoosierBj HB User
At my niece's high school if you don't have a date for the prom you find some girl or guy friends who don't have a date either, and you go as a group and have a great time!

Old 05-06-2003, 05:46 PM   #6

fatesdestinie HB User
hey, i just had my prom,. i went with just a group of my friends. sure, most of them had their dates, but it was still really wonderful. i thought about not going too, but i am soo glad that i went. my suggestion is that you just go with your friends, maybe you can all rent a limo and go together, and just have fun! its your senior year!and anyways, are you really ever going to see these people in the next 5 years anyway? (personally, i know i'm probably only going to see two of my buds after graduation).. so have a blast
crystal

Closed Thread