It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2003, 05:35 PM   #1

rach923 HB User
Question breaking up cause of college???

now, i'm not trying to create a survey here, but i have a question that i just would like to see if my train of thought is logical....

i'm a senior in high school, and i was wondering something, i thought i'd ask without making any details of my personal sitch too explicit...

now, many times when a couple is together, they will break up before college, and i have been turned down in the past because the guy i liked was going off to college, and he didn't wanna start anything back home (it was 6 mos till graduation, and he is at a college about 8-12 hours away now....we talk occassionally, but i don't "like him" like him anymore) my q is, i have an interest now, who is going away to college not quite as far away as my previous interest...

we're not dating, but i don't want going to college to rule out the possibility for the summer or in the future...i really care about him and like him, and i am 99% positive that my exact feelings are reciprocated by him...we stay up lating talking on msn, and we always talk during school, and he always acts like a gentleman and treats me like a lady...

my q is, how common is it in where ever you guys are from to break up SOLELY because one or both members of the couple to leave for college and break up????

my theory is that, if you care about the person enough, than no physical distance could separate your relationship...i kinda think that if someone breaks up b/c of the "going off to college" reason, that there really must be another UNDERLYING reason, b/c if the were truely, genuinely in love, than they would just work harder to be together, not give up!!! is this naive?? Incorrect??? Unrealistic??? Please let me know!!!! thanks!!!

rach

August 1999: diagnosed with GERD and IBS...put on zantac, then aciphex
Spring 2000: diagnosed with TMJ...have lower splint
September 2000: hospitalized for failure to thrive due to malnutrition and dehydration; fed with ng tube for 3 months, put on prilosec
2001-02: developed chronic sinusitis/rhinitis from NG tube, put on nasonex and allegra
January 2002: switched GI's, diagnosed with hiatal hernia, switched to nexium, added peppermint oil, put on bentyl PRN for pain, zoloft for nausa
March 2003: IBS getting worse, switched PRN bentyl to BID levbid ER
May 2003: diagnosed with asthma from GERD, put on advair and singulair, albuterol PRN
May 2003: back pain and limited mobility, caused by 2002 car accident and dance injury, unidentified
April-June 2003: minor ear irritation and hearing problems, and extra sinus swelling, unidentified
May-June 2003: heartburn recurring even with meds!- GI put me on 40mg Pepcid Rx in the morning and at bedtime...Seems to be holding over till August...
July: chest x-ray came back, found mild thoracic scoliosis, and small "heart shadowing", EKG results are coming...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2003, 08:07 PM   #2

SimplePleasures* HB User
Smile

Rach, I know you mentioned this briefly in the end of your post, but I thought I'd kinda of restate it I guess...

I totally believe that if 2 people like each other, and want to be together, then nothing, especially going to college, should interfere with it. I could understand if neither of you had your license, and were still in highschool, because then it'd almost be impossible to see one another if you were trying to have a long distance relationship. BUT - you can both drive, and often times a long distance relationship makes you appreciate the time you spend with your significant other much more.

Try talking to this guy, if you are both willing to give it a shot, what's there to lose? Exactly! Nothing! If you don't try, you never know what the outcome might be...

Hope this helps!

[This message has been edited by SimplePleasures* (edited 05-13-2003).]

Closed Thread