It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2003, 05:09 PM   #1

helpmeplease! HB User
Arrow finger nail biting deadly habit?????

Hi! I was wondering if you coauld give me some help into why you bite your finger nails or how you might have stopped biting or any information about fingernail biting would be appreciated to help me quit
And if you know any seriose diseases or miner diseases fingernail biting can give you I would love to know.

Old 05-12-2003, 05:45 PM   #2

malibubarbie HB User
Exclamation

alright girl... here it goes! I had a BAD finger nail bitting prob. I never stopped every time i would get nervous, hungery or bored i would bite my nails. Untill they would bleed or hurt! But this is what i did. I went and not tips put on my nails. Now DONT i repeat DONT do tips they mess your nails up even more! I hope they tips on for about 3 months and when i got them taken off MY NAILS WERE EVEN WORSE!!!!! they might look good with tips on but there worse when taken off. My nails became brittle and soft. So last week i went and got a professional manacure. Ther cleaned up my nails and put paint on them. When i paint y nails it makes me not want ot bite them because i dont want to mess up the nice paint job lol! So ... you could even try clear nail polish, cause then when you put your nails in your mouth they taste really nasty and you take them out! But you can get pin worms from bitting your nails because of the bactiera and you can cut your throat and stomach by the pointy tips if yuo swollow them! So i hope this info helped! And good luck! Dont worry your not the only one who bites there nails!!!
- malibubarbie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2003, 06:56 AM   #3

MysteryGrl HB User
I had a horrible time when I tried to stop biting my nails too. I did get tips, though, and they've worked for me. I just go get them touched up every 2 weeks. Now that the tips have grown off, they're my real nails with a really thick hardener over them. It's worth it if you have the money for it.

Old 05-13-2003, 10:13 AM   #4
Inactive

Karla HB User
I had fake nails put on and wore them for 2 months. That was enough to brake me of the habit. Then I kept my hands manicured.

Old 05-13-2003, 12:53 PM   #5

malibubarbie HB User
yea... these girls are right... like im my forst post tips helped me stop bitting to, but just make sure after you get them off you can keep them manacured!

Old 05-13-2003, 04:43 PM   #6

dark4112 HB User
ok im a guy..what am i supposed to do about the problem? im getting really bad, my nails have been extremely short (sometimes bleed or just sting) for about.. 6 years now.

Old 05-14-2003, 07:56 AM   #7

Kylie1 HB User
There is a special nailpolish for people who bite their nails. My friend used to bite the skin around her nails so she got it. I don't think it actually looks like nailpolish, it's a clear liquid that you paint over your nails and it dries and looks like nothing is there. I put some on my nail and licked it and i nearly vomited it tasted so bad. This stuff works . I'm not sure where you can get it though, I think my friend just got it from the chemist

Old 05-14-2003, 06:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dramaqueen HB User
You could try the special nail polishes that taste bad, or you could wear polish all the time so you don't want to bite them. You could also put a rubber band around your wrist and whenever you feel the urge snap it.

Old 05-15-2003, 06:51 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

mommajessibelle HB User
walgreens sells a stuff called thum you can put it on your finger nails and it is suppose to stop thumb sucking and nail biting its just suppose to taste really bad its like 4 bucks it might be worth a try i think im going to buy some myself ive been trying to kick the habit for years and i just found this on there website so im going to try it

mother of 3
Melissa 9, Brandon 8, and MaeLynn 6

Old 05-16-2003, 02:17 PM   #10
(female)

Aleii HB User
a lot of the problem that i find for bad habits is that a lot of the time you don't realize that you're doing it, its kind of automatic when you get nervous, etc. I'd agree with the other posters. Wear nail polish--colored may work better, because if you bite your nails the paint my chip off and sometimes you may get a paint chip on your teeth -- That way when you go to bite your nails the bad taste and paranoia of getting specks and flakes on your teeth will keep you away from doing it until the habit is broken.

Closed Thread