It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2003, 04:05 PM   #1

SimplePleasures* HB User
Question How my parents feel about the party scene. . .opinions please!

My dad was talking to me yesterday about how he wishes my older sister, who is 20, would stop being friends with people who tend to go to bars - well, this kind of made me think about what he and my mother would feel about me - because I am 2 years away from being 18 (not supposed to say exact age ), and I drink sometimes and engage in, well, for a lack of better words, the party scene. I don't do it all the time, mainly on weekends, like a lot of high school kids. I saw a post a few days ago where a girl was asking if she made the right choices in choosing not to party in highschool and college, well, I think she didn't - I see highschool and college as the years where you get to have the most fun. You can't just call up your buddies on a Friday night when you're out of college and into a career, and say "Hey, wanna go drink?"...I mean in most cases, they'll be busy with their job, their husband, kids, or a combination, perhaps all. Anyway, I just wanted to hear other people's opinions on the subject. Is partying every now and then really that bad if you do it responsibly with people you trust? I don't drink and drive, I stay put when I'm under the influence - and I guess I just like to have fun. I really see no problem in drinking and having a good time, but I was wondering if anyone shared my thoughts. Thanks and take care all.

Old 05-14-2003, 06:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dramaqueen HB User
Partying every now and then is fine, but binge drinking every weekend is not. I think as long as you are doing other stuff as well (there's more to life then drinking) then it should be fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2003, 09:33 PM   #3

TLWDancer HB User
Ok, this is just my honest opinion. I think drinking is stupid. I think you can party and have fun without beer involved. I am 2 years under 18. And I have only had an alcholic beverage in my body once, and it was a screwdriver and I didn't even know what it was at the time. I was mad at my friend for tricking me and all in all I was ticked off. I don't approve of drinking at all and I think you can have fun without beer. Just my thoughts. And the hole, "high school and college are for fun" or whatever, that's b.s. These are the years we are going to regret later in life. These are the years we will tell our children about. So what should we say. "Oh, I used to go drink and party every weekend, you can do the same"...? No. It's crazy. Live life to the fullest, and live it straight.

------------------
True Love Waits... And if it's really love, they will wait for you.

[This message has been edited by TLWDancer (edited 05-15-2003).]

Old 05-14-2003, 09:49 PM   #4
(female)

QweenyBluEyes HB User
I agree with TLWDancer, partying and drinking is just plain stupid, and for people who are immature for that matter. So yes, that girl did make the right choice in not doing something that was illegal. But that didn't mean she deprived herself from having fun, you can still have fun doing something that not illegal!

I've never been to a party, never been drunk, and I am a virgin, and I'm dang proud of it!

Old 05-15-2003, 01:52 AM   #5

Kylie1 HB User
The whole party drinking thing is alright so long as nobody gets hurt. I don't wan't to be 80 and look back at my life and wish I had lived a little more, or taken a few more risks.

Old 05-15-2003, 12:54 PM   #6

SimplePleasures* HB User
Angry

Oh so since I drink and party I'm immature...Interesting...

Old 05-15-2003, 03:41 PM   #7
Inactive

DanaJ HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by TLWDancer:
Live life to the fullest, and live it straight.

Wow, that was nice I agree, and since it was summed up already, I'll leave it at that.

Old 05-15-2003, 04:26 PM   #8
(female)

Pleaides77 HB User
Okay, here's my take on this. First off, I don't think you're completely immature, because obviously you're stopping to consider your behavior. That's always a good thing.
Now, I want to try and change the angle of your perspective a little. I'm 3 years short of a quarter of a century, and I started partying early in life too. You say you don't do it often, but honestly, every weekend is often, especially when it's illegal. You're right, you should take advantage of your youth and live life to the fullest, but that's hard to do when you're passed out on the couch. I'm not going to say "Stop! That's stupid!" You do learn your lessons along the way. Just explore other areas- there are many ways to have fun.
Now I'd like to respond to: "I see highschool and college as the years where you get to have the most fun. You can't just call up your buddies on a Friday night when you're out of college and into a career, and say "Hey, wanna go drink?"...I mean in most cases, they'll be busy with their job, their husband, kids, or a combination, perhaps all."

Like I said, yes, have fun, but make sure you try to excel in school as well since your brain has great potential at this time; don't waste it! Believe me, you won't be too bogged down once you've started down your future career's path. No one's making you marry as soon as you graduate college, and a good job means more money, and it's a bonus if you get to work the traditional Monday through Friday job, which means free weekends! Then you can party hearty legally! Successful 20- and 30-somethings (and older!) hit the bar and club scene all the time. But they also realize it can get old really really fast.
It's like any other good thing: do it in moderation, and focus on what's important. And it never hurts to broaden your horizons.

And that's my .50
~F

Old 05-29-2003, 09:40 AM   #9

marycfindley HB User
thats for everyone to figure out for themselves so they are who they are..... ummm I'd have my fun if I were you though. keep responsibilities and stuff so you dont have to make ammends for any mistakes, dont drink over problems either, and you sound mature enough. Glad you don't drink and drive, that leads to serious repercussions.

Old 05-29-2003, 11:46 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Magnetic HB UserMagnetic HB User
The problem with partying to have fun is that it so often leads to disaster. Look at it logically - is it better to drink and all, and risk the things that can happen from drinking and being exposed to that crowd of people, rather than trying to prepare for your future? I mean, is drinking going to get you more ahead in life than studying and engagin in activities that are actually productive, such as volunteer work, etc?

Think about it.

A lot of females, while out having a good time, got raped, pregnant, molested, hooked up with the wrong guy, got introduced to drugs, etc. How many good things that will help you later in life can you think of that will come about by simply partying and drinking?

I am not saying to not have fun. I just think you need to redefine your definition of "fun".

Old 05-31-2003, 12:11 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
Simplepleasures, it's nice that you go out and socialize and party, but going and drinking is not necessarily the best use of your resources -- ever think of that?

Alcohol is expensive and nobody has to know you're not drinking. Most cocktails can look like non-alcoholic drinks in the first place and especially when you're young, your body can't take alcohol the same way that most peoples' bodies can.

Maybe this is just what-I've-seen talking, but once you've met a man who's in the hospital with pneumonia because he passed out drunk and inhaled his own puke, you start to really lose respect for alcohol as a drug.

Yeah, you're right -- in college it isn't as easy to go out drinking every weekend, but trust me, people manage it. Amazingly enough, or perhaps also not-so-amazingly, these are also the people who aren't doing so good on the exams. College and school is a time to learn, having fun is having fun but it needs to be done in moderation.

If you can come up with something better to do on the weekend than go out and become intoxicated then I would happily condone what you're doing.

If you don't want people to tell you that going out and getting drunk every weekend is a bad thing, then please don't ask the question. Not everybody will agree with you, and not everybody enjoys the idea of underage drinking. Intoxication should never be a regular thing -- not saying it shouldn't happen at all, I've been known to get myself into a stupor once or twice on things that are less-than-legal but moderation is the key here, and acute alcoholism every weekend is NOT MODERATION.

Old 06-15-2003, 03:18 AM   #12
(male)

Jonesy HB User
I'm pleased there are other people who have parents who aren't keen on the whole drinking scene and stuff, personally I think that a lot of it is pathetic. I@m not saying everyone who does it is pathetic cos a lot of my friends do and they're nice people. However a lot of it is about fitting in and being seen to be part of the crew or whatever. Put it this way, it takes a lot more guts to go to a party and say you dont drink than it does to go and join in- fitting in is the easy option. I have total admiration for people who are prepared to be different.

Old 06-15-2003, 01:55 PM   #13

TheVampClaudia HB User
Well, i don't see ANYTHING wrong with partying as long as you do it responcibly. And, well, if you do it AT HOME, and your parents buy it. There isn't a DAMN thing that anyone can do, it is actually legal that way. Although, it ISN'T legal for your friends if they're underage however.And drinking ISN'T immature either.

Old 06-15-2003, 02:27 PM   #14
Veteran

UF baby HB User
I used to drink A lot. I figured I make good grades and I'm a good person, so what's the problem? The last time I drank was HORRIBLE. I was puking my guts out for 2 hours or so and I was very light headed. I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital but I ended up passing out instead. The next day I was an emotional wreck. I just couldn't stop crying.

Needless to say, I quit. I poured all my vodka down the drain and I have to say it's one of the best things I've ever done. Alcohol changes you. It made me more social and 'confident'. I thought that was good but it made me do some pretty stupid things. Maybe I wasn't 'responsible' and that's why what happened to me did. But I started out responsible and worked my way up to a mess. You guys can reason with sin all you want, but you're not invinsible. One day you might drink yourself dead.

Closed Thread