It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2003, 01:01 PM   #1

Sofver HB User
Post NAVEL RING HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well i got my belly button pierced 2 days ago and have sum questions.
1. How long before ths oreness goes away?
2. How long til i can change my barbell?
3. Is epsom salt the same a sea salt?
4. How should i slean it?
5. What does an infection look like?

Old 04-08-2003, 04:17 PM   #2
Inactive

siren24 HB User
I also have my belly button pierced, and have had for a few years. I'll try to answer some questions.

1. The major soreness should subside after another few days... however, it can be sore for a few months if it is bumped or pulled. They take up to 6 months to heal completely.

2. I wouldn't jump the gun changing jewlery. I left in my original piercing for a year to be on the safe side, and mine healed wonderfully. You could probably change it after a few months, but changing it too early or frequently in the first few months can greatly increase your risk of infection.

3. Epsom salt is not the same as sea salt. I couldn't find any sea salt. I just used regular salt in hot water and soaked (while on my belly) every few days. Try using a small cup, bending over to create a suction where it won't leak, and holding it on there for 15 minutes or so. The more frequently you do this, the more quickly it will heal.

4. Use the salt water thing and regular saline solution for your eyes to clean it. Soak a q-tip and wet down the entire ring well. Make sure you rub off any puss looking stuff, flakes, or scabbiness. Turn the ring and clean off the entire thing very well. You'll want to get it wet enough to turn easily. I did this several times a day. Don't let it get scabbed over where it won't turn. Turn it ALOT and don't take it out.

5. An infection will usually have a red, throbbing, swelling bump around the peirced area with alot of oozing and puss. Most people get some degree of slight infection in the first few weeks (a little raised area around the hole) because your body will try to reject the foriegn object that you have just stuck into it, but if you clean, clean, clean, this should heal up and go away. If it gets larger, redder, really nasty looking, or very painful, you probably have an infection that needs checking.

Any more questions, just ask. I used to work at a piercing/tatoo place.

[This message has been edited by siren24 (edited 04-08-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2003, 06:56 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

SunKissed HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Sofver:
Well i got my belly button pierced 2 days ago and have sum questions.
1. How long before ths oreness goes away?
2. How long til i can change my barbell?
3. Is epsom salt the same a sea salt?
4. How should i slean it?
5. What does an infection look like?

The soreness should go away in about a week or so, maybe 2. You can change your barbell safelt in 2 months but it is recommened you wait 6 months. The skin inside will not be fully healed. I leanred the hard way by changing it in 1 1/2 months and ripping the healing skin inside out. It bled. And hurt. Not good...Epsom salt and sea salt are different I think, I never used either..I washed it with antibacterial soap and Bactine. U shouold do that by in the shower use the pump kind of Dial Antibacterial and move it through, then spray the bactine on and move the barbell or hoop up and down. An infection will be red, sore, and have pus in it.

Old 04-08-2003, 08:11 PM   #4
Inactive

siren24 HB User
Oh yeah-- I forgot about the anti-bacterial soap in the shower. You can do that, too. I did the soap and the saline. Just don't get anything that has a fragrance in it, because it can be very irritating. Get plain fragrance free anti-bacterial hand soap and rinse well.

Old 04-08-2003, 10:40 PM   #5
(female)

Im_Robyn HB User
I know that a lot of piercers suggest using sea salt. After I would only suggest it for oral piercings that I did. Sea salt works but at your piercings expence it doesnt really heal it faster it makes it seem like it is becuase the salt is actually burning the piercing sort of like cortorising it. Which could result in keloids and may even promote the piercing to grow out.
You can change it in 6 weeks but you have to keep surgical steel in for at least a year that is how long it will take to heal fully. And as for cleaning it I always suggested Bactine diluted 30% with water but really anti-bacterial soap works the best just make sure that before you ever touch it for the first 4 months your hands are clean. Didnt your piercer give you an after care sheet? Any way I hope I helped in some way.
Robyn

Old 04-09-2003, 12:16 PM   #6

Sofver HB User
Question

Hi,
Thanx for answering, well yea actually he did but i misplaced it before reading it. Thanx. Well my its been 5 days and it is stilll a little red arund the 2 holes? THis is normal? Thanx.
ME

Old 04-18-2003, 07:50 AM   #7

Sofver HB User
Well my belyl been in for 2 weeks now and it has a slightly raised area around the top hole but it doesnt hurt. Is this an infection and if not is this normal?

Old 04-19-2003, 07:32 AM   #8
Inactive

siren24 HB User
Yeah, that is normal, (if it's small and relatively painless) and a certain amount of puss and oozy stuff is normal too. Your body is trying to reject the foreign object, and it may even be there until some scar tissue starts to build up. I had a bump like that for at least 6 weeks or so. Just keep it clean. If it gets any worse, though, you may have an infection and need to get it checked.

Old 04-28-2003, 03:02 PM   #9

Sofver HB User
Well Its been 1 week and ahalf and red bump is stillt hrer. No pain no nothing. Is this STILL noraml or wut im gettign wortrried i have a barbaell coudlt hsi cause it?

Old 04-28-2003, 03:26 PM   #10
Inactive

siren24 HB User
Still normal unless it hurts really bad or gets bigger. I think I had a bump for over a month... maybe even two.

Old 04-28-2003, 05:41 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

jules1 HB User
Mine was red and swollen for a couple of weeks after I got it done. I played with mine alot (BAD idea - don't even touch it for awhile without washing your hands). I also have sensitive skin.

I wouldn't worry, seriously. If it starts to puss, then worry, but being red and raised is okay. You're body is trying to reject the piercing (happens with every piercing) and/or heal the area. Just continue to clean it. Don't take it out. You will regret it.

And if you can't shake the idea that it might be infected, stop by the place where you got it pierced and ask someone to take a quick look. They'll be able to tell you, trust me.

Old 04-29-2003, 07:04 PM   #12

Sofver HB User
Unhappy

Okay thanx... oh man.. iwent tanning yesterday and got burnt... well where are had the bandaid it had turned allr ed bumpies... andbecasu ei was scartching around it it is not real sensitive to pain.... iput alo on it and stuff do u think infection can come out of that? still the belly it self dotn hurt when i clean it or move it ... thanx.
sofia

Old 06-09-2003, 09:39 AM   #13

navylover HB User
when i got mine pierced, it was at the beach. panama city, florida. as soon as i got it pierced, i went back to the hotel, went out on the beach and jumped in the ocean for about 20 minutes. it helped a lot then got out and got in the pool (bleach helped it too) from the pool though. if you have a city pool. try that. or a friend's pool. or something like that. take a trip to the beach, it's summer time now
ashley

Old 06-28-2003, 03:08 PM   #14

oraringnge HB User
Question

i have a question. i just got my belly pierced wednesday nd 2day is sat. so i kno i won't b changing my ring for a long time but i just want 2 kno how to take my hoop out when it is time for me 2 change it. well if anyone knows please respond so i know for the future. thanx.

Old 06-29-2003, 11:55 AM   #15

oraringnge HB User
Question

hi. i just got my navel pierced on wednesday nd i kno i won't have to take the hoop out for a long time but how do u remove it. i don't get how u remove the ball or w/e. also, i was told by the lady who pierced me i can change the jewlery in 8 weeks (2 months) but i have to take it out in like 5 1/2 weeks for cheerleading. i'm very stressed bout it. if i took it out for 6 hrs would the hole close? if it will i'll just skip that 1 cheerleading thing which means i wouldn't have 2 take it out until tryouts. but that still would only b about 7 weeks. if i took it out at 7 weeks for 4 hours 2 days in a row (i would put it right bak in afta the 4 hrs) would the hole closed? i'm really worried. well hope 2 hear from u all soon. thanx for the help. -- mo --

Closed Thread