It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2003, 12:44 AM   #1

Kylie1 HB User
Question putting on weight

Hi. I'm 163cm (i think thats 5"5 or 5"4) with quite a small frame and I weigh 46kg (101.2 lbs).

I'm not sure if that's underweight or not but I would like to put on a little more weight because I feel like I'm gonna break at this weight.

In January this year I weighed 53kg (113.3 lbs) and by about May I was at 48kg (105.6 lbs). I hadn't done anything that would make me loose weight so I thought it might have been stress. Still most of my stress related problems went away but I still kept losing weight.

I started trying to put the weight back on a couple months ago and I have been eating alot more. (I get bought alot of mcdonalds cause of this :P) but I have still lost a couple of kg since then.

I don't understand what is making me loose the weight. I get hungry alot more often but I still loose weight. I did go to the doctor when this first started and he said it was fine, but I don't know.

I was wondering if there are certain foods I should be eating more of or something because I really don't know what would help. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2003, 02:52 AM   #2
Inactive

Sundance_Dawn HB User
You should really see a doctor about this as inexplicable weight loss is never a good sign. Seeing as though you are so young, it is however possible that your body is just pouring all its energy into growing,- however it's also possible that your body is still in stress mode even though the stressful situation is out of the way, and you'll need help in getting a normal metabolism back.

It can't hurt to get your thyroid etc. checked, and your doctor can also refer you to a nutritionist who can recommend you great and healthy (McD's = NOT healthy and not the best to put on weight sensibly!) meal plans and recipes.

In the meantime maybe you could try some of these protein shakes they recommend for people who want to put on weight?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2003, 03:24 PM   #3
Inactive

DanaJ HB User
You said you've been to the doctor and he said you were fine. My question is did he do bloodwork or anythign along those lines, or did he just give you a physical, or even just blow it off since you're so young?
I agree, it can't hurt to get your thyroid checked. Also routine bloodwork to see what's going on, and if in fact there is a problem which this can be related to.

Of course there is the chance that it's just due to you being young and whatnot, and have a metabolism we can all envy you for. I would be safe and definately get checked out though- testing and bloodwork.
If your doctor tries to argue against it, or blows it off again, definately seek a second opinion!

Closed Thread