It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2003, 11:13 AM   #1

flychick HB User
Post Tattoo on lower back area

I Really really want a tattoo on my lower back. I want a meduim size butterfly. but anyway i'm scared of the pain . i dont want those fake tattoo that last 4 2-4 weeks. can someone give me their exprience if they have a tattoo on their lower back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2003, 01:48 PM   #2
Inactive

DanaJ HB User
If you're a teenager, you should definately wait for a few years. I know you don't like that advice, but I can't tell you how much you will change, and more than likely regret the permanent piece of art. Sure, there is laser surgery and whatnot, but that is costly, painful(so I heard), and very time consuming. Even then, the tattoo is not 100% gone.

If you're still set on getting in a few years, then do so, but certainly don't rush into something that you have to live with for the rest of your life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2003, 02:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

normorcrazy HB User
DanaJ is right. I have 2 tattoos and I'm ok with one of them, but the other is a big regret. I got it when I was younger and I wish I would have re-thought it. Anyway, lower back tattoos are painful. Some people have a higher tolerance than others, but I've seen people never get their's finished because they couldn't handle it. Also you can get them removed, as said already. My friend did this and she has a permanent scar now. It's huge and the tattoo is actually just faded it's not gone. It looks horrible. No doubt she regrets that one.

Anyway, if it's really what you want...go for it. Just make absolutely sure and go somewhere clean. Don't rely on friends because they aren't always clean. Even though you may not end up with HIV or hepatitis you can get a nasty infection that can hospitalize you if it's not done with sterilized material.

Old 07-06-2003, 02:46 PM   #4
Inactive

Karla HB User
I have 4 tatoos. One on my right shoulder, one on each of my breasts, and one on my back sholderblade. The one on my back shoulderblade and my shoulder hurt the least. I do have a very high pain tollerance. All I can say is I had the two on my breasts done when I was 19 and 21 and I wish that I had never had them put there much less the design at all. They really reflected my personality at the time but now I am a preachers wife and they don't fit my personality at all. Time really does change things. I am just so thankful that they have almost faded. They hurt so bad I just had the outline done and not the coloring. The one on my back and sholder I had colored in because it didn't hurt there. Also when I exposed my breast the guys doing the tatoing hit on me the whole time. It was an embarising experience and made me mad the way I was treated while they did the work. So keep that in mind. I had a butter fly done on my shoulder and it is still there I like that one. I have a black rose on my sholder blade, a dragon around a dagger, and a cobra around a rose. The black rose is my favorite one but remember what I said about personality changing. I really regret having them all done.

A friend of mine who has diabites got a tatoo done and then found out that her tatoo scabbed up and disapeared. If you have diabetes you are not suppose to get a tatoo. Talk to your dr. Also another friend of mine ended up getting hepatitis because the person that did his tatoo didn't use clean equipment even thos he told my friend the stuff was steralized. You are talking a great health risk by having this done. Make sure you are up to a possible life time battle.

Old 07-06-2003, 04:44 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

mommajessibelle HB User
i actually was just speaking with a tatto artist that is very very good and was asking her this same question and she told me that the most painful place to get tattos is on the lower back about at your belt line she was telling me about a great big biker guy that came in and got a harley davidson tatto on his lower back he thought he was all macho when he went in but ended up cryin like a baby and passing out from the pain hope this answers your question good luck

------------------
mother of 3
ages 4,3,and 1
my pride and joy

live life to its fullest you never know when it may be to late to do all the things you would have done tomorrow

mother of 3
Melissa 9, Brandon 8, and MaeLynn 6

Old 07-06-2003, 06:35 PM   #6

Gtpchic31 HB User
Smile

I have 3 tatoos. One on my lower back, my upper thigh and one on my lower abdomen. I have very little pain tolerance and the one on my back didnt hurt at all except when it went over my spine. That stung really bad. The only one that really hurt was the one on my abdomen but not enough to quit. I will have to say i went to a really great artist and the place was so clean. I think that also eased the pain. But if you are young make sure you really think about it and think long and hard to want you want also. Its something you love with for the rest of you life. I dont regret any of mine plus they dont show unless i want them to

Old 07-07-2003, 05:48 AM   #7

salb3039 HB User
I have a tattoo on my upper back right between the shoulder blades. It was rather painful but pain is tolerable. As far as it the lower back being the most painful, I would actually guess any where along the spine would be, as the upper back was. It causes a hot stinging sensation everytime the needle hits the spine.

Don't let that dissuade you though, because like I said, pain is tolerable. Being scared to hurt is the worst reason to not get one, because that pain is only temporary.

I have also been given the, "you'll regret that when you're older" speech. That is also bull****. Do it know when you are young. (I'm only 19.) With all the troubles and problems of being older, you'll never even think about it. I've always had a theory that people only regret tattoos when they see them all the time. (Those on the biceps, calves, etc.) And since you will not see it all the time on your lower back, you will be less likely to get tired of it. I have had mine for about 8 months and sometimes I almost forget its there.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Actually just read a post above here and I have another piece of advice. Unless the tattoo artist will let you see him/her sterilize and/or open the equipment he is using, go somewhere else. Do not take the chance.

[This message has been edited by salb3039 (edited 07-07-2003).]

Old 07-07-2003, 11:31 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Trooper HB User
I just wanted to chime in... For my 32nd birthday, I got a tattoo on my lower back. This is a tattoo that I had designed a year ago by my sister and it's one that I really, really love (sun/moon design). It turned out sooo good. I don't regret it at all. I do have another tattoo and got that at age 25. So both of mine I did when I was older. And there isn't one day that I wish I didn't have it. Oh, and both are on my backside, so I don't see them all the time, just like a previous poster said. Out of sight, out of mind.

The only time the one on my back hurt was when the needle went over the spine, other than that, it just felt like getting a regular tattoo.

I am planning on one more, and then I will be done. The next one will be in an descreet area as well. I am a professional in management and cannot have visable tattoos.

Good luck,
Trooper

Old 07-07-2003, 01:06 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

devastated HB User
Talking

I am sure not everyone is the same, but I thought my tat on my lower back was by far the most painful one I have.....and I have a lot, 2 full sleeves, very large chest piece, one on the back of my neck, and of course, the one on my lower back. It is generally known as one of the most painful places to have tattooed, but if you really want it, it is worth it. I would go through it again. I definately concur with the previous poster however, that you wait a while and make sure it is something you really, really want, and try to picture yourself older, like 40, and think, will I still like this tattoo when I am older? I am sure alot of the people who got those tazmanian devils and other cartoon animals that were really popular for a few years in the early nineties wish they thought it out a bit more. I have had one tattoo removed, or at least tried to, by laser, and I ended up with a horrible lumpy keloid scar that I had to do burn therapy for a year to get it to go down. Just make sure you get something you will still be happy with 20, 30, 40 years down the road, you know? Oh, and do some research, make sure you go to a reputable artist and check up on their work...ask around for experiences, when you see someone with a nice tat, ask where they got it. Some of the artists, or so-called artists, out there are are horrible.

Old 07-13-2003, 09:18 PM   #10

monkey84 HB User
I have one tattoo, but i added on to it. Its only my hip (not the backside), and I love mine. I got it done a year ago ( i was 18). Make sure its something you love. My tattoo is my geminii sign, and a sun around it. INside the sun and through the geminii sign is a half a moon. The sun and the moon are two things i've alwas loved and it symbolizes me. but yes, i have herad the lower back is a painful place to get it. I do have to say, where i got mine, didnt hurt. Just thought id give ya advice

Old 07-17-2003, 09:12 PM   #11

omega_star_22 HB User
Well, I have three, none on my lower back but they hurt none the less. I wont lie, they do hurt, it's needles being driven into your skin. LOL :-) but it's not as bad as what a lot of people say and plus now they have a product called spray ice wich freezes the skin before the tattoo so there is next to no pain. My fiancé has a professional tattoo shop so I know a bit about the topic. I think that if you are young (under 19) you should think it over a bit or you will most likely end up needing a coverup when you get older. Remember it's for life. And if you really need one, shop around for the best shop. Ask questions and get answers, if they don't have the answers then go somewhere else. And also it will deffinatly cost you :-) good luck

Closed Thread