It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2003, 06:35 PM   #1

FaithfulyWaiting HB User
Unhappy no Friends

Ok...just in the past couple of weeks, my only really close girlfriend and I decided that our friendship had really fizzled. we are happier apart. So, now that that relationship is over, I have looked around and realized..that I don't have any other friends. She was my only one. Growing up she was my only one. her family and siblings have other friends our age, that we would hang out with also. But, because of this severed friendship, and because I never really got close with any of them other people (I actually don't want to) I don't have any friends outside my family. My best friend is my boyfriend, he is sooo great. I love him so much, but he lives quite a ways from me (a long distance relationship) but I still have to have girlfriends to hang out with and to talk about our b/f's and other things with right? how do I go about befriending people? Where do I meet friends? I am such a social mess. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 07-13-2003, 06:40 PM   #2
Inactive

DanaJ HB User
Well you don't have to have female friends. It's always nice to have people to fall back on and all, but if you're happier being alone, then so be it.

You ask how to befriend people. I don't know how old you are, so I don't know whether or not you are in school and/or hold a job etc. Do you go anywhere where you could strike up a conversation with others?
You didn't really supply any info in that area, so it's hard to give you a direction to go in.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2003, 07:41 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

upshutter17 HB User
Hi all. I recently graduated from High School, and I officially didn't have any friends. It's so depressing to know you don't have any friends, but that doesn't mean life is over. Seriously, I met people through sites like this, and I made friends there. Even though they're from a different City/State/Country we have become friends. Meeting these people was a great thing, we have this whole panic disorder thing in common. Except some sites don't let you post your personal info. Good luck in what you do. You're not alone, plenty of people feel the way you do.
Upshutter

Old 07-14-2003, 03:49 PM   #4

FaithfulyWaiting HB User
Ok, Yeah, I am in my Senior year of High School,
and I am also holding a 40 hour a week job.
I don't really get out anywhere. I am working on getting my driver's license, and yeah, I'd prefer to have female friends, because I have a boyfriend, and I'm not comfortable having guy friends. I've been that road, most of the friends I've ever had, have been guys and like...4 of them..in the past 2 years have said they liked me, and when I just wanted to be friends, it ruined our friendship...
anyways...i just would like to have some close girlfriends, like a normal teenager? and I've had friendships online, but its not the same as in Real life...I guess this is a weird topic, and not many people will have any advice, but thanks anyways.

Old 07-14-2003, 05:23 PM   #5
Inactive

DanaJ HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by FaithfulyWaiting:
Ok, Yeah, I am in my Senior year of High School,
and I am also holding a 40 hour a week job.
I don't really get out anywhere. I am working on getting my driver's license, and yeah, I'd prefer to have female friends, because I have a boyfriend, and I'm not comfortable having guy friends. I've been that road, most of the friends I've ever had, have been guys and like...4 of them..in the past 2 years have said they liked me, and when I just wanted to be friends, it ruined our friendship...
anyways...i just would like to have some close girlfriends, like a normal teenager? and I've had friendships online, but its not the same as in Real life...I guess this is a weird topic, and not many people will have any advice, but thanks anyways.
It sounds like you are quite the go getter.
Are there any females your age at your place of employment? I know the people I work with have become my closest friends!
Other than that, it sounds like you don't have too much time! Maybe once you're out of HS you'll have better luck, especially if you will be going off to college or be able to work full time(well you say you are now, so I don't know hwo much of a help it would be).
I knwo what you mean about not really wanting to have male friendships. Once you're involved with someone, it can become complicated, and as you said ruin friendships. Been there done that. So I can totally understand where you're coming from.
Either way, good luck.

Old 07-26-2003, 03:47 AM   #6

jenners1086 HB User
Unhappy

I know exactly how you feel, I recently had a best friend who chose to kind of ditch me for others since i have a b/f and um "they were cooler" we had been friends like forever. But now I find myself in my senior year with absolutely no girl friends to chill with, no one to shop with, or have sleepovers with, or disscuss guys with.. So now I pretty much chill with my boy friend's friends and it's kinda interesting but too much testosterone(or however you spell that) but ya, I gotta ask you ( and i know you have a job) but do you play any sports? cause i found that last year when i was involved in this swim club i had a lot of people who just were dying to be my friend. even though thats done now for me and im sorta feeling depressed, it was a good easy way to make friends, working out at the ymca used to be a good way too. have you tried that? or you could possibly ask your b/f's buddies if they have any g/f's or anything.That may help..

Old 07-26-2003, 08:10 PM   #7

hoops11789 HB User
Smile

i used to not have a lot of friends. but then i read a book called, "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnigy. It was either that book or my attitude that got me a ton of more quality friends. i made them feel like an important person when i talked to them. try it and don't get down on urself!! xoxoxo MWAH!!

Old 07-26-2003, 09:15 PM   #8
(female)

Carnival_Angel HB User
Unhappy

I feel where you are comming from. After I got out of high school I lsot touch with my girl friends. I have my boyfriend whos great, hes my best friend. I then have an ex boyfriend who lives far but hes also been a great friend. Then my other two closest friends made a few mistakes and are now in jail.
Its awesome having my boyfriend as my best friend and such but its lonely without my "boys" who are now not here. I had a previous job where I made some friends, not to many girls. For some reason after I got out of high school I have found it hard to become friends with girls but I really miss it. At my current job there really is not anyone I click with or would enjoy hanging out with. I miss the Girl relationships and wish I knew how to get some of those back.

------------------
* ~ JeN JeN ~ *

Old 07-27-2003, 06:03 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dramaqueen HB User
To meet new friends, go hang out at different places. Join a new class, or do something you love and you will attract like minded people.

Old 07-28-2003, 12:38 AM   #10

nik86 HB User
Hey if your atleast 16, get a job....you can meet people and make money at the smae time. Like killing 2 birds with one stone!

--Nikki

Closed Thread