It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2003, 01:50 AM   #1

nik86 HB User
Post freedom

I'll be 17 in a few short months, I would like to leave when I want to and go where I want to. I'm saying like 3 o'clock. I have a good head on my shoulders and I'm not going to do anything that I'm going to regret. I just want to have a little late night get together with friends. Some of my friends don't have to be back at a cartain time. Bu, they get in trouble right and left. I stay clear of trouble usually and if I do get introuble, I know it's my own fault. So, I'm asking...how can I convince my mom that I'm old enough to leave the house at night. My town size is like, 300 people and the town I go to is like not even 1,000 okay. No danger, whne I'm driving. It's a nice neighborhood and everything so...if my mom won't let me do what I really want to do then, she only owns me for ONE year and then I can do everything I wanted, SO whats the difference, giving me some freedom, before I'm legally free.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2003, 11:23 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

toaskornottoask HB User
3 oclock is still pretty late for someone almost 17. In my city there is still technically a curfew until you're 18 (I don't even know what it is). You can TRY to get your mom to agree, but you may have to settle for something a little earlier that owuld look for rational in her eyes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2003, 02:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User
i'm actually here seeing what the troubles teens have these days as my two sons will be there soon (one is already - 14 and the other is 11). Felt compelled to respond to your wish for freedom.

seeing me now and knowing me as a teenager you would probably not believe that it could be the same person. i always fought against my parents in the times they wanted me home. Once i took my mother's car (17) and pretty much got lost, then found my way back before running out of gas (no small feat). Anyway, there are tons of sayings that someone could cite like 'parents have been there and know from whence they speak.' there are probably a lot of things your parents did that they may never tell you just so that you can't say, "well, you did it and turned out ok." who knows how i turned out ok and actually lived through some of the stuff i did. Just know that you'll have your 'freedom' soon enough and then you'll probably want the 'security' of your parents' home again!

Never compare yourself to people - especially if it is to try and make a point to your parents. they'll just tell you that for that person there is another who is not like that and that you should be your own person anyways. when you start comparing yourself to others and start saying, 'i know it sucks, but my parents won't let me.' then struggles begin within yourself and you may miss out on other opportunities in your young life while you fret over something else!

wow, didn't mean to preach or write a book. if you want to ask me specific questions, feel free. if you want to know more about the 'things' i did which i survived...they did make me the person i am today, but one thing i do know, is i don't want my sons to experience some of the pain that came with certain situations. so i know that if there is a way i can prevent that from happening, i will. if that means a curfew, that's what i'll have.

remember, there is no such thing as "a nice neighborhood" - just listen to the news. **** happens everywhere. There is also 'guilt by association' where just being in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong people will get you in a helluva lot of trouble.

Old 07-28-2003, 03:07 PM   #4
Inactive

DanaJ HB User
3am is way too late for someone your age to be out.
I would never let my kid out that late, especially at age 16. Believe it or not, it's for your own good.

You say you steer clear of trouble most of the time. Which is good, but in a town that small what is there to do? You just want to be able to have the freedom, or are you and your friends actually having plans?

Wait the year until you turn of legal age, then take advantage of the freedom(as long as you're not endangering the public's safety etc).

Your area/town doesn't have a curfew for anyone under 18?

Old 07-28-2003, 04:46 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

toaskornottoask HB User
I am about your age, and my curfew by law for DRIVING is midnight, and so my parents just assumed that one for being out as well. Unless I am stay the night at a friends house, I must be home at 12, and that is fine with me, as my friends do too. My 18 year old sister has a 3 curfew and she just got it when she turned 18, so I think 3 is a little late, like I said.

Old 07-28-2003, 10:30 PM   #6

lilmexchicka HB User
well ithink 3 am is WAY to late in a way i mean im only 15 n i have to b home at a certain time but say if u show ur mom responsibility on like checking in wit her every so often she may let it go out a lil bit more like mine is midnight at the latest ne where after that is me being in trouble but for 17 id say 1 or 2 at the latest cuse ur mom may not wanna let u go so try to leisure with her find a undersdtanding ground i did that with my mom n she was ok with it.

Old 07-28-2003, 11:23 PM   #7

nik86 HB User
Yeah, well I can't go out until mid-night. I have to be back early. Last year I couldn't go out at all, and my sister being 14 then could go with her friends whenever. I also called the law to take me away saying I was sucidal and everything. It's an excuse not to go out. I never really had a chance to be around people unless I snuck out. I mean what my mom is doing now isn't helping me at all it's making me go against her more. The more she pushes the more I pull. So?

Old 07-28-2003, 11:32 PM   #8

nik86 HB User
We don't have a curfew in our town.

Old 07-28-2003, 11:35 PM   #9

nik86 HB User
No cops on duty from 1 to 5 either.

Old 07-28-2003, 11:56 PM   #10

MelissaH HB User
nik...work on your mom. At least try to get in ONE night of freedom! It's worth it. I used to argee with my mother about curfews too, but if you just get to stay out later little by little, maybe it's worth it? I know it's dangerous and I can see where your mom is standing but she does need to learn sometime. Good luck and remember, she's your mama and you love her no matter what!

Old 07-29-2003, 12:05 AM   #11

nik86 HB User
Yes I know I love her but, she thinks I'm a spoiled brat. Just because, I'm mad when I can't get something. Isn't everyone like that? Well maybe not everyone. But, I mean what am I going to do then that I can do anytime? My point...

---Nikki

Old 07-29-2003, 12:47 AM   #12

nik86 HB User
basically all im saying is i want to come and go as i please

Closed Thread