It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2003, 07:57 AM   #1

MystikAngel97 HB User
Post Navel Ring Questions

I've had my Navel Pierced for about 3 weeks, and my Piercer told me to Wash it with Soap and Water, which I did, and it seemed to be doing fine but it stayed red and itched for a while, and then these people that I emailed about it that had been piercing for 20 years told me to stop cleaning it with soap and water but to just let water run over it in the shower and then use a q-tip to get the crusty's off afterwards. Well I've been doing that and here lately, this yellow-like puss has starting seeping out of it. It doesn't do it all the time, Just when I turn it sometimes, Although they told me also Not to turn it, but I figured, if I didn't turn it then it would try to heal up around it, so I've been turning it, but only when I clean it. They also told me not to use Salt Water which I did when I first got it done. So I'm alittle confused now,because they told me the exact oppisite of what my piercer told me. Should I start cleaning it again and is it infected now? And this morning when I got up, it was alittle sore, could that be because I might have rolled over on it and slept on it last night? Any advice will greatly be appreciated =)
Thanks

Old 07-22-2003, 12:25 PM   #2

Foxxy Cleopatra HB User
Red face

well all my mates(who have their belly buttons pierced)said that you should clean it with salt water,or a disinfectant.not to touch it in the healing process,because ur hands r the dirtyest part of the body.and that you should slep on ur back coz sleepin on ur belly apparently puts pressure on ur piercing-and then makes it go grose.hope ive helped.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2003, 12:02 AM   #3

Copperredd HB User
I would definetly start using the salt water again. I've had my belly button and nipples done for about a year now. Once in a while one of my nipples gets re-infected. I use the salt water twice a day. awlays makes it feel better. Is your jeans rubbing against you b-button? What type of jewelery r u wearing? I have problems when I wear titinium. Gold works best for me. Good Luck, hope ya feel better

Old 07-23-2003, 04:32 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

LiLnuTTy HB User
Definately use some kind of disinfectant. It takes a long time for the belly button piercing to heal completely. Mine took a LONG time, and got infected constantly...because I was touching it, ect...just make sure ya keep it clean, esp after you touch it.

Use peroxide...thats what I used, and I also used neosporin. Many people told me not to, but it helped tremendously.

Old 07-25-2003, 09:08 AM   #5

Snagglepuss HB User
do what your piecer said. he/she obviously konws what she's talking about because it was working and then those other people told you to stop and it started going bad didnt it? well just do what your piecer said.

Old 07-25-2003, 10:49 AM   #6

50000TearsIveCried HB User
Actually there are many piercers who give the wrong information. And you ARE supposed to turn it, just as you do with earings on your ears so they do not stick to your skin and aggrivate it, but only turn it in the shower after you've cleaned it with soap, otherwise you'll force bacteria in. Here's what you should do. Wash it three times a day with DIAL soap and water. Do NOT touch it any other time but that! The puss coming out is fine and normal, as long as it doesn't turn into a rust color you're safe. It's lymph secretions that are comming out. They are white blood cells your body uses against the piercing to prevent it from infection. Eventually they stop, but it will take months. Piercings usually heal in one to two years. They say you can change in after 6 weeks, it's actually not good to do that but many do and they are fine. If you develop a cyst (a red bump on the hole) that is when you should start using sea salts. Those are normal too. Infection happens when the puss form your belly button is green or a rust color. Good luck. Also don't use neosporan, for the girl who used it you are very lucky and have a very good immune system lol congrats. The reason it's not good to use is because it leaves your piercing moist, and moisture is a great breeding ground for bacteria, yuck.

[This message has been edited by 50000TearsIveCried (edited 07-25-2003).]

Old 07-26-2003, 01:46 PM   #7

MystikAngel97 HB User
Wink

Hello,

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I've started back cleaning it with Dial Soap and Water like I used to. Most of my Jeans that I wear are Hip Huggers, so they don't come up to my belly button. But every now and then at work when I pick up boxes, It hits my belly button, and it used to hurt, but now it doesn't, but most of the time I try to remember and not hold them on my stomach. I don't know what size jewelry I have, and I've been meaning to ask him when i see him, but my piercer Pierced it with a steel ring. Some people say it's easier to heal and clean with a barbell, but he said he'd perfer to do it with a ring. I don't plan on changing it anytime soon. At least for another year, that way I know it's mostly healed and won't be so bad to get infected or hurt.

Thanks Again for the advice and I'll keep checking back and let everyone know how it's doing!
Thanks!

Old 07-28-2003, 08:20 AM   #8

Great to hear it. Actually, rings heal faster, so your piercer did a smart thing. Barbels cause more iritations and don't allow as much soap solution through the piercing. It's a very good idea taking your ring out after a year. People say you can after 6 weeks, (I changed mine after three months), but it takes a full year to heal so that means less risk for complications. GOOD LUCK!

Old 07-31-2003, 02:15 PM   #9

pinkpolka HB User
Talking

how do u post?

Old 08-01-2003, 11:26 PM   #10

If you mean how do you make your own topic for the forum, scroll up to the top and click "new topic." Good luck, hopefully when you post I can give you some advice!

Closed Thread