It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2003, 02:17 AM   #1
(male)

obso1337 HB User
Post how do I know if I'm depressed?

yeah, so, how do I know if I'm truly depressed or if I have some mental illness, or if I'm just having mood swings for some extraneous reason? with whom do I speak to figure this stuff out? do I go to the local clinic or something? can I do all this without my parents finding out (if you're reading this hi mom I love you I'm not really depressed)?

Old 07-08-2003, 10:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

normorcrazy HB User
Welcome to the boards. I really believe the first thing you need to do is openly discuss what's going on with your parents. This will be hard, but they will be able to get you the treatment you need, if you even need it. Depression only gets worse unless you have a good support system or in some cases medication. Hang in there and if you truely can't talk to them maybe you need to confide in another adult that can offer you some insight on what's going on. Take care and keep us posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2003, 10:56 PM   #3

omega_star_22 HB User
You need to get help, if you don't think your parents will be supportive then don't tell them but still get help. I was a depressed teenager, attempted suicide, cut myself etc. my mother was not supportive but I got help for myself and now I am a 21 year old happy mom and step mom. Good luck hun.....and again, go get help. If you are suicidal then clinics are obligated to help you. :-)

Old 08-10-2003, 10:41 PM   #4

TraptFanatic089 HB User
Hey I undertsand how you feel right now..I was well you could say born deprssed thru genetics(my mom is bi polar)..i mean i used to cut myself and overdose but then one day someone noticed and i got help and im better just basically get help be4 your to far gone to be saved..

Old 08-12-2003, 06:59 PM   #5
Inactive

Equis HB User
You could also look up symptoms online of Major Depressive Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, Dysthimia, Cyclothima, or any of the other mood disorders (though those are the big ones for kids and teens). With a bit of looking, I'm sure you could find a site to post a question for a doc. or a chatroom, something like that. The APA might have something like that. Also, look for local clinics that offer free depression screenings - it's not at all uncommon, though I don't know where you're at. Another stop would be the library. There are loads of books on teenage mood disorders. My recommendation would be "More Than Moody" which is geared towards parents, but covers all the mood disorders from an adolesent stand point (remember, almost all depressed kids and teens exhibit symptoms of ATYPICAL depression, so don't find info for adults and assume that you're not) while remaining fairly readable. Good luck.

Closed Thread