It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2003, 09:41 PM   #1
(male)

Zoider HB User
Question Promise Ring?

I was just wondering what everyones fews on Promise Rings were? What do they mean to you people, weither to recive one, or to get one. Also, when would be too soon, or too late in some cases to get on? Any insite would be greatly apreciated. Thanks in Advance!

------------------
Zoider - "It's not the bullet that kills you, it's the hole."

[This message has been edited by Zoider (edited 07-08-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2003, 10:55 PM   #2
Inactive

witchywoman HB User
I have a promice ring that my boyfriend gave me and I think it's a way for him to feel more secure about me going out somewhere and I feel better because if a guy tries to hit on me or something, I can just say I'm taken. Or say I'm engaged, which I am, but not officially (we haven't told anyone). I think they're great!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2003, 07:24 PM   #3

wondertwin44 HB User
Lightbulb

Truthfully, I think they're stupid. I heard of many people getting them when I was in high school, and I always just laughed. I don't really see a point. It's like one of those "pre engagement rings." It's pointless in my opinion. If you want to go for it though, good luck.

------------------
Game over. I had to accept the fact that in life some women are simply better and no amount of shoes or lack of pastry or making of pies will change that. I will never be the woman with the perfect hair who can wear white and not spill on it and chair committees and write thank you notes. And I can't feel bad about that.
Carrie, ~SATC~
Game over. I had to accept the fact that in life some women are simply better and no amount of shoes or lack of pastry or making of pies will change that. I will never be the woman with the perfect hair who can wear white and not spill on it and chair committees and write thank you notes. And I can't feel bad about that.
Carrie, ~SATC~

Old 07-08-2003, 07:32 PM   #4

BeachBella289 HB User
I think that a promise ring is a great way to express your love for someone...but they are completely pointless if you have only been dating for a little while. But if you have been dating for a really long time...like a little over a year or more, and you know that you may even marry this person...you should go for it, but if you are unsure of your future...dont waste your money, because a promise ring is not supposed to be broken, and it's wrong to break such a big promise.

Old 07-08-2003, 10:02 PM   #5

BabyDoll117 HB User
In my opinion, a promise ring is something you give someone that you really love and care for deeply. I think its a great alternative for younger couples, when it may not be "acceptable" to get engaged, but to make the promise of one day proposing. I also think you should think long and hard before giving this kind of ring, because if it comes to soon it could be interpreted as clingy or desperate...but at the right time, I think its a beautiful idea.

Old 07-09-2003, 10:17 AM   #6
Veteran

UF baby HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by BeachBella289:
I think that a promise ring is a great way to express your love for someone...but they are completely pointless if you have only been dating for a little while. But if you have been dating for a really long time...like a little over a year or more, and you know that you may even marry this person...you should go for it, but if you are unsure of your future...dont waste your money, because a promise ring is not supposed to be broken, and it's wrong to break such a big promise.

Agreed.

Old 07-09-2003, 11:48 PM   #7

AngelBabyGirl25 HB User
well a promise ring to me is some day in the future there will be a proposal.but i was givin one and i have it still and i gave one to him and he lost it. and we were togather for 2 years. but now we are broken up. a promise broken. but i still love it. and love him. but i guess thats how it is. but its a graet idea if its the right time.

Old 07-10-2003, 07:53 AM   #8

kbunch HB User
Exclamation

I think I have to agree with wondertwin. I don't see the point of it. You are either engaged or your not. Really what are they promising? That someday they'll marry you? Well, if he is going to marry you some day and he wants to get you a ring, then why doesn't he just get you an engagement ring.

Old 07-10-2003, 11:19 PM   #9

wondertwin44 HB User
Thank you. I was starting to think I was the only one who felt this way.

------------------
Carrie, ~SATC~
Carrie, ~SATC~

Old 07-11-2003, 11:37 PM   #10

Xanthic4111 HB User
My Dad gave me my promise ring on my 13th birthday. It is a promise that i will wait until my wedding night to have sex. I am DEFINATLY going to keep that promise. Now, im not saying I'm not going to kiss someone, or anything, but no man is going to see anything that my bra and underwear cover until that night.

Old 08-13-2003, 07:20 PM   #11
Inactive

ash5071 HB User
i have a promise ring. At our church my youth group was doing a series on Sex/dating and all that stuff. At the end we could make our own decisions (obviously) as to whether or not we wanted a ring to symblolize our choice to wait for that "special someone" (husband). I wanted one... and so all the kids that wanted them were part of a mini ceremony thing where parents gave the rings to their kids. It means a lot to me cuz if i'm alone with my b/f...where there's obviously temptation... it's a good reminder of what i have comitted to God/myself/my family/friends/and future husband. When i get engaged i'm going to give my promise ring to my fiance and wrap it in a box and tell him to keep it till our honeymoon... then he can unwrap it! but that's just me! even if you have made the comittment, or are wanting to start fresh by not sleeping with anyone anymore till u get married... it's not required obviously.. it's just a cool reminder!

Old 08-14-2003, 12:09 AM   #12

hyzenthlay HB User
haha. my high school sweetheart gave me a ring. it had a tiny diamond in it. it was a promise that some day he'd buy me a big one. it only became a weapon i used against him in my adolescent naivet'e in that i'd take it off when we were fighting to hurt him.

a teacher of mine forbade any of his female students from running in at the end of the year to show him their engagement rings. even if you swear you're going to wait until after college, it is the guy's way of putting you on the shelf for 4 years until he's done with college and can come claim you, Mr. C said.
don't accept a "promise" ring unless you give one in return. a man(boy) should not be marking you as his territory.

Old 08-14-2003, 09:28 AM   #13

bngreen HB User
I think a promise ring (in a relationship) is a total waste of money. Almost everyone I know who has recieved one is no longer with the giver. It is kind of a replacement to the things high school guys use to do (well still do), like give "his" girl his class ring or let her wear his letter jacket. These are things that can be given back and are not a waste of money. I think, to someone in high school, a promise ring is just as sentimetally valuable as wearing a letter jakcket. Is it worth runnin out and spending money on something that can be replaced for nothing? If the answer is yes, then by all means go for it.

Closed Thread