It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2003, 08:52 PM   #1

Xanthic4111 HB User
Post Please help me

Ok heres the deal.. PLEASE dont just skip this post and go to the next one without responding, because i REALLY need your help, and I'm taking the effort to type all of this in hopes that some people will respond.

OK, I go to a private Christian school, and I have been going there for the past 2 years, but recently I have been thinking about transfering to a public school instead. Here are the reasons...
In the private school, its block schedule, so you only have 4 classes a day, and every other day, and you only go 4 days a week. So in my scedule right now, I start after lunch on wed and fri, and go from 8-2:30 on tues and thurs.
The reasons that I want to go to a public school are because I want better acedemics. In my school ,they teach really good english and history, but in history, its mostly life lessons, rather than facts. The math and science are pretty poor though. I wanted to go to a public school because even if you make straight A's at private, then you dont nessisarily do well on ACTs and SATs, but i really want to do well on those. also, there is more structure to a public school, and more extra curricular activities, and a things like that.

but I'm really strugling because the friends i have are the private school are so awesome. they are life long friends, and i wouldnt trade them for anything. Also there is a school camp which is so awesome, that I would go all summer if i could. The drama program is pretty good there,and I really want to be a singer/actor.

The problem just comes with acedmics and the math and science being really weak. Its not like i'm going to need those for college because i want to perform ,and not become a doctor, but I want to OPTION to go to any college that I want.

I basically just have to decide what is more important.. acedemics, or friends, and this is the next 3 years of my life. I CAN get some math supplimetned and stuff but it will be hard work. I really want to go to the private school, but i feel like i NEED to go to the public, because it wil be better for college. I just dont know what to do and i feel like i am in a bind. I have never been more torn in my entire life, and I dont know waht to do.

I also went to the public school yesterday, and I just feel alone, and like i cant really see myself making friends with any of those people. just tell me what to do!! AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2003, 10:26 PM   #2

just_missing_u HB User
Hey, I've gone to a privite school from Kindergarden through 6th grade! it was fun i mean i had some friends but there wasn't many people there.. this is a big decission to make. i decided to go to the public school cuz my brother was there anyways, so i did. From where i am people are so friendly and it was easy to make new friends. and if u think about most people kinda leave their frineds eventually? and all we usualy have left if our jobs.. and FAMILY! i don't know yer personality real good but thats just what i did.... may be it can help u out some what.......

Old 08-13-2003, 06:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User
First off I'm impressed by how much importance you put on education and academic success, not many teens these days think like that!!!

Can you perhaps get hold of books that cover the curriculum and help you to expand your knowledge beyond the limited interpretation taught at your school?

And how far away would you have to go to school if you went to a public school instead? If your friends are really such good friends then you will stay in touch with them - as you are so keen on education I am sure you are aware that school is there for learning, not for hanging out with your friends. You can still see them in the evenings and weekends!

Inhibited Perfectionist

Old 08-13-2003, 08:50 AM   #4

bballjunky33 HB User
Smile

Hey hey,
I've gone to public school my whole life. It's incredible. There are so many people I am sure you would have no trouble making friends. Also is there any way you could still go to that summer camp while at a public school? Another thing is that wanting to be an actor/singer is very possible at a public school. Don't forget they have drama classes to even if they are not as impressive. There are also probably drama camps and classes you can go to outside of school! I know this is a big decision for you but don't stress yourself out!! Try and think of ways you can solve this without giving up too much!!

------------------
*BbaLLjunKy*

Old 08-13-2003, 02:24 PM   #5
Inactive

DanaJ HB User
It sounds like your private school is definately the rare exception. Sorry to hear that.
I went to private school for a damn long time. Academically it was extremely challenging and really prepared me for college etc. Basically since I had always done college level courses, even from a considerably early age.
Public schools aren't great with academics, as a general rule. Granted there are some exceptions.
What I was learning in 6th grade, they were teaching in 12th grade public school. I'm not joking when I say it was that big of a difference.
Also the way things were taught, is what was great.
The extra curricular activities were just as good, if not better in our school.
If you really want to go to a public school, than that's your choice, but there are going to be huge differences. If it makes you happy though, do it. I'd be sure you know what you're getting into before you make that decision, however. That should be a prioroty for anyone transferring schools etc.

I also forgot to add a comment about the block scheduling. From what I know, that's mostly in public schools. I wouldn't be able to stand that, it would drive me nuts.

[This message has been edited by DanaJ (edited 08-13-2003).]

Old 08-13-2003, 11:17 PM   #6

hyzenthlay HB User
i'm surprised to hear about your private school. as a rule, private schools are always better than public. that's why you have to pay to go there!. example: my brother's private all boy's school is pretty much an open invitation to harvard or any other college you want to go to without applying. i know people who went for college interviews and were accepted as soon as the interviewer saw the name of their school, interview over. perhaps you should look for another school but i don't think public is necessarily going to be the best academic option.

or...you could work on improving your own school. set up an appointment with the *****istration to talk to them about the poor quality of education you feel you're receiving. if you bring a group of parents along, it could send a big message.

Old 08-14-2003, 06:31 AM   #7

chacha HB User
I too am surprised that your private school is lacking so much in academics. That is unusual. Your block scheduling also sounds strange that you don't start class until after lunch one day and only go four days a week. Most schools that have block scheduling go five days, for a full day say 8-3 and alternate classes. Kinda like you do now only each class is twice as long. So you actually get to spend more time in class each day with you teacher and actually have time to do work in class which is good if you need help because your teacher is right there. Plus you get two days to get your homework done instead of cramming it all in one night.

As for changing to public school. If that is what you need to do to get quality education then I say go for it. You say you've only been going to this private school for two years. What do your parents think about the education you are getting there? I am surprised they are happy with it by the way you describe it. I guess you are in HS. To be honest it is hard moving to a new school when you are in HS. Unless you are a boy, I think it's easier for boys, not easy just easier. We are military and have had to move during HS twice. By the way I am a mom not a fellow teen. So this may be sort of a different view. If the public school you are wanting to go to is a good one then it is a change you may want to look into further. Becoming a singer/actor is a nice goal (my daughter wants to be a model)But you do need something to fall back on while you are persuing that dream.

There are significant differences in public and private schools. Not just education but also the size of the school, it can be overwhelming if your current school is small. It will be an adjustment and after you make the decision to change you may think you made a huge mistake but remember you will need time to adjust and to make new friends. It won't happen most likely overnight. You could also check out other private schools to see what they have to offer. Many offer extracurricular activities just like a public school. My daughter went to a Catholic HS year before last, they not only had sports for both boys and girls but cheerleading and a rowing team (surprise to me) There were clubs to get involved with too. You say you are going to a Christian school, in case you didn't know, a Catholic school accepts all denominations and does not ask any student to change.

As for your friends, they will still be your friends. You can still hang out together and do things after school and on weekends. That doesn't have to change just because you are going to different schools.

Do you attend church where you go to school? You might still be able to go to the camp you mentioned if you do. Do they have a youth group? That would/could be another way to stay in touch with your friends too.

I wish you success in your decision. And sorry for the intrusion on the teen board. I'm usually on another board and just thought I'd look around this morning.

Old 08-18-2003, 12:56 AM   #8

chickadee99 HB User
Well, I can understand your dilemma. Up until 6th grade, I went to Christian schools. There are many Christian curriculums that are challenging, such as Abeka, but there are also some that are really pretty easy (at least in elementary school it was!), such as ACE. At one school that I went to for years, we didn't have school on Fridays, but we didn't have a block schedule or anything. SO, the only good advice I can give you, considering you want to make the right decison for your future, keep the great friends that you have (I made life-long friends at Christian schools also!), etc, is to pray! Because you HAVE been going to a Chrstian school, I feel comfortable with telling you this, and I'm sure you have been praying? Ask the Lord to lead you and guide you with this decision, for Him to work it all out for the best! Try not to stress over it. Also, ask your parents what they think! I hope this helps. Let us know how it works out! God Bless.

Closed Thread