It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2003, 06:50 PM   #1

Miranda2626 HB User
Lightbulb nothing to do in my small town!

Okay im 15 and there is like nothing to do in my town...we have a bowling alley but it is really boring and we have a movie theater but only plays one movie..well what my question is what do people do for fun everywhere else. i cant drive so thats outa the question..parties i go to a LAME..i mean LAME..lol i try to make the best of everything but everything is just so boring...any ideas? i mean what is there to do?...lol
lots of ideas would help!? what do some of you and yer guy's friends do for fun on weekends?

Old 08-25-2003, 06:56 PM   #2

soccrgurl12 HB User
Haha well I cant really relate since I live near a kinda big town. If you dont like parties that you go to, why dont you try to have one of your own? Just planning it would take up some time and give you something to do. And can any of your friends drive? If they can, then suggest that you get a bunch of people together and go somewhere.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2003, 07:47 PM   #3

goatofthenever HB User
i live in a small town too, 40 minute drive to a movie theater. basicly me and my friends just get drunk every weekend. if ur not into that u and ur friends could try to make a band, thats alot of fun.

Old 08-26-2003, 12:48 PM   #4
Inactive

bojanglydave14 HB User
theres a miracle called alcohol. get drunk, theres nothin funner than running around butt-naked. Sometimes alittle buzz will get you movin. Or you could do a sport or something.

Old 08-26-2003, 12:57 PM   #5

just_missing_u HB User
Lightbulb

Yeah miranda lets just get drunk! thatd be so much fun...ha ha jking i think that this weekend we should go to camping like we talked about last weekend.. but i hafta stay with my dad so i dunno if he'll go fer that!:P(so we can camp in my front yead ) ha ha then we can see our men.. and we can set kate n randi up with sumone.. i know we'll never do that but i can dream can't i! ha ha we'll talk more about it tomorrow okay .. i've gotta see what the guyz are doin...nothings fun w/o the RC guyz!

Old 08-26-2003, 05:31 PM   #6

Miranda2626 HB User
haha hey yeah that would be great my family and i are sposta go somewhere this weekend...im not sure where yet tho haha im trying to talk em into talking us down to the lakes to camp for the weekend! but i doubt it caz my mom HATES campin..but we can see i was thinkin you me katelyn...(maybe randi) but that might b too many i duno well anyway...
everyone else dont mind about this message!

Old 08-26-2003, 06:03 PM   #7
Inactive

danocasa HB User
i think i found your problem.
you live in iowa. enough said.
just kidding. try and get a hobbie. learn an instrument. get into a sport. or you could just wait and get your license and the try and do somethng. but the instrument thing would kick your sexual appeal level up like a billion notches.

Old 08-26-2003, 06:40 PM   #8

Hot Ice HB User
You live in Iowa. Farm? Farm? Farm? That reminds me of a great novel entitled "Thousand Acres" by Jane Smiley. It's a GOOD read.

I live in a big city, and I WISHED I lived in a small town.

The only thing I can tell you is BE BUSY. Get a hobby.

Old 08-26-2003, 06:59 PM   #9

Miranda2626 HB User
yeah that is true iowa sucks!..but what do u all do for fun besides getting wasted im not into that its not really worth it..

Old 08-26-2003, 07:08 PM   #10

goatofthenever HB User
all day i listen to music, play music, and watch tv. on the weekends i drink and do drugs. good times.
really if your not into the drinking, u should get a insurment loads of fun and takes up alot of time.

Old 08-26-2003, 07:18 PM   #11
Inactive

danocasa HB User
look-
im gonna say it straight:
before 21 your a party animal after 21 your an alcoholic.
you can go to parties and stuff, but you dont have to drink, in reality half the people there dont like to drink becasue, well, alcohol sucks, but they do it to lose the inhibitions and be able to talk to the opposite sex because the main purpose of parties is to hook up. and we can do that better when we are impaired. if you just go to a party and someone offers you a drink say "no thanks" and they should say "alright and your cool. if they hassle you then they suck as human beings. realize that if people see you turning down drinks they will secretly admire you for being able to say no, believe me, ive done it many a time before. but back to the iowa thing, see i live in SoCal so theres kind of a lot of things to do here, but just wait until you get your license and then a whole lot more things should open up. until then, hobbie away!

Old 08-26-2003, 07:49 PM   #12

Hot Ice HB User
There are plenty of ways to have fun besides drinking. (I don't even consider it "fun")

1. You can read a book.
2. Watch TV
3. Listen to music
4. Hang out with friends.
5. Surf the net.
6. Play sports.

One more thing, you'd get bored if you only do one thing for a very long time, so alternate hobbies and change them routinely.

Just be creative.

Old 08-27-2003, 01:18 AM   #13
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User
I find it sad that so many kids these days do nothing but get drunk, heck I enjoy getting tipsy but I'm 25 now - enjoy your energy and youth as long as you've still got it!

How about going swimming? I don't know if you have public swimming baths (inside in winter) there but they're always fun and something you can do in a group. There's not many things more fun than spazzing out in the kiddies' pool (well not the baby one but also not just the one with lanes in it) with all the water toys they've got there!

In summer outside swimming pools are ace as well, it's where most Swiss kids spend their summers! Ah, spazzing out in the pools, playing ball on the lawns, stuffing yourself with ice cream and sweets, discussing your crushes with girl friends while spying on the boys...

Outdoors streams are good too (playing "Shipwrecked", making a fire, grilling marshmallows and camping out, ghost stories and all) although you have to make sure it's safe.

We had a "Robinson's playground" where I grew up, kind of like a wild place where you could build huts (several stories tall sometimes) out of bits of wood, and they had lots of fun activities like candle making or enamel burning, glass etching etc. you could do for a small fee.

A good book also helps if you're on your own (and being on your own is something you'll have to get used to eventually!), or playing board or video games if you're in a group.

If you want something to do I am sure there have to be hobby groups in your town that aren't just for middle-aged housewives or old grannies, how about amateur acting, dancing or something more creative like painting? A band is a great idea if you're into music and play an instrument or can sing - all you need is your instruments/voice and somebody's garage!

-----------------------------------

THE best way however is to get together with others and make sure that there ARE things for people your age to do!

I agree organising your own party is a lot of fun and WILL keep you busy - maybe there is a communal room or building you could use if you don't want it to take place in your own house or your parents don't want it to take place there? That way a group of friends could help organise and you won't have to do all the work/cleaning up on your own - you could also pitch together and organise film nights in the same place, so you can rent movies and show them there for a small symbolic fee.

If you don't have anything like a youth club etc. then all the more reason to get together with some friends and maybe ask a town group/the council for ideas, you might even get a bit of funding - most towns are more than happy to support schemes that keep kids off the streets and give them somewhere to have fun, as this drastically cuts down on vandalism and saves them a ton of money in repairs!

-------------------------------------

Alternatively if you fancy falling pregnant or ending up as messed up braindead social security case with no education and a wonderful career in burger flipping, you can start getting drunk in your teens and experiment with drugs and make out with all the older guys.

Only joking, but believe me even though I'm not against alcohol or drugs per se under 18 and alcohol/drugs is a BAD combination.

I am no prude by far, in fact I happen to believe that both can be experimented with sensibly if the person is mature enough and knows where they stand in life, but at your age people are still too easily influenced and subceptible to be able to safely do so. You're probably going to go off and get drunk anyway but don't say I didn't warn ye

[This message has been edited by Redhead23 (edited 08-27-2003).]

Inhibited Perfectionist

Old 08-27-2003, 01:46 PM   #14

lostwou14 HB User
Smile

the only advice i can give u is if there are sports teams near you, go out for a sport, it's the most fun you can have and its a great way to get in shape!! soccer rules.. :-P

Old 08-27-2003, 04:23 PM   #15

Miranda2626 HB User
thanks for all the ideas!..no i do not think i will being getting into drugs or getting drunk any time soon!...nope not for me. but keep the ideas coming!
thanks!
miranda2626

Closed Thread