It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2004, 02:38 PM   #1

MrsBosley HB User
Alcohol

You say you know most of the risks... does that mean you are admitting to not knowing all of them? I know most of you say you know the risks, but you don't. The risks aren't just getting caught, or drinking and driving.. they are much more serious than that. Did you consider being so young, none of you really know your alcohol tolerance? Do you all understand that just because you can handle 5 beers doesn't mean you can handle 5 glasses of wine of 5 shots of vodka? How about if you accidentally get so drunk you have sex when you aren't ready or you are raped and unaware of who even raped you the next day. these things happen daily in the world. What if you were slipped a roofie? Do all of you even know what a roofie is? There are reasons you have to be of legal age to drink alcohol in this country. Because when you are 15 etc, you really cannot handle it. If it hasn't happened to you yet, it will. I know many of you have parents that don't mind if you drink. Do you think your parents are perfect? Do they always do everything right? Maybe they were raised that way so they see it right, or maybe they were raised just the opposite in a strict home and don't want to treat you like that. I can't get you to think about the consequences though, but I guarantee all of you that do drink, will learn your lesson teh hard way eventually.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2004, 04:30 PM   #2

goatofthenever HB User
Re: Alcohol

i can unserstant your concern, but there are irresponsible drinkers of legal age, and responsible drinkers under. I have never met someone who drinks and doesnt know what alcohol % is. And you dont have to be drinking alcohol to have your drink spiked by rohypnol or GHB. if my drink was spiked with something id prefer it to be a roofie, to the other.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2004, 07:19 PM   #3
Inactive

Little_Loon HB User

i'm always careful of what i drink. i usually only have coolers, and only max, 4. lately only max 2. i'm not a big drinker, and i've never been smashed, i plan to keep it that way

Old 01-14-2004, 07:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Angel77 HB User

I'm sorry little_loon, gonna play the mommy on this one. You are also putting yourself at risk for becoming addicted to alcohol. It's one thing for an adult to throw a couple back, but drinking at your age is not gonna take you anywhere good.
You're already trying to justify your behavior, so obviosly you know it's wrong. I had a friend who started out with "just a few" well, one night we saw cops, ambulances and fire trucks tearing up the road. He decided to hang with his friends while mom and dad were gone. They just thought he was sloshed and passed out. Someone finally sobered up long enough to realize he was barely breathing!!! He had alcohol poisoning and was almost dead. Luckily he pulled through but this is not always the case.
As for the comments on preferences to what is put into a drink to spike it.....HELLO???? Why would you even think that could be a positive thing???
Do you know how many people have their lives turned inside out because of situations like this??? There's so many unknowns involved here. Even adults who've been around a long time are at risk for problems arising from drinking, so how can someone so young think they can handle all that comes with twistin' one off???
I don't understand this one bit. Alcohol in small quantities is not bad....for an adult. But you never know when that small quantity isn't enough and it goes up from there. Do you have any idea the lives that have been ruined by alcohol??? I don't understand how this is cool to anyone. My husband is an occasional social drinker....has a couple beers when his buddies are over bbq-ing or watching football, but only when he's going to be staying home and no chance of driving and is in a totally safe environment.
I don't want to hear back from little_loon down the road when reality hits and something bad has happened. It shouldn't take something bad happening to realize that this is going nowhere fast.

Old 01-14-2004, 10:19 PM   #5
(female)

QweenyBluEyes HB User

Like someone said that there are people of age who are irresponsible and people under age who are responsible. I know lots of kids are into drugs, sex, and alcohol these days but there are some who aren't. I'm the one who doesn't do any of those, and sometimes I feel judged that because I'm a teenager I do those things.

If you are a parent who has a teenager who is into drugs, alcohol and sex. Then I suggest trying to figure out the problem to why they are doing it. Lots of the kids I know that do it, do it because they have stress, or depression. Are you being to hard on them? Sometimes parents are too strict, and it causes them to rebel. For me it makes it much easier to say no if my parents if my parents look at it in a positive way and tell me whats wrong with it, and that they dont want me to do it.. but let me make my own choice. They give me the independence to make my own choices, and I believe that is the only way you can really learn. Otherwise if you have someone else saying no for you, how else will you get the power to say no yourself?

Old 01-15-2004, 01:55 AM   #6

Kylie1 HB User

I'm a teenager, I drink, I know all of those risks. I know I could get raped, have sex, die etc. etc. The thing is though, we don't care. I don't know why we don't care, but we just don't and we can't make ourselves care. Its that simple.

You can lecture us about drinking as much as you want but it will make little to no difference.

I'm not trying to say drinking is okay or anything, I know that getting drunk is a very stupid thing to do, but as I said before we don't really care.

Old 01-15-2004, 08:49 AM   #7
Inactive

Little_Loon HB User

i know the risks, i'm well educated, and i'm only a few months away from the legal drinking age anyways, i've only really "knocked back a few" on a rare occasion, being maybe 3 times during the full course of 2003. i'm in no risk of becoming addicted, as i have no will to keep doing it.

Old 01-15-2004, 09:39 AM   #8

goatofthenever HB User

Im sure a alot of teenagers do care Kylie1, i know i do. But just becouse someone takes drugs doesnt mean somthing bad will happen. There alot of people who do stupid things, and thats what you hear about. Then there are those of us who are safe with it.(aside from the harm of alcohol or other drug, itself)

Old 01-16-2004, 11:16 AM   #9

MrsBosley HB User

You are trying to make it sound as though you don't care so it's okay. The opposite is true though. If you are so irresonsible not to care, then you aren't even close to being old enough to allow yourself to drink alcohol. Most of you seem to think it is the "cool" thing to do either because it can let you forget about hings for awhile, or because everyone else is doing it, or you just felt like fitting in, all of you have your reasons, but no not everyone knows what thye are doing, and there will always be those one or two kids that don't know.. the one or two that die every day from alcohol poisoning or drunk driving. You'll never know until it hapens to you though. I don't want ot lecture anyone but rather make people understnad, make young kids as yourselves understand that you are just that..kids. Whether you want ot admit it or not, it doesn't matter that you are underage and more responsible than someone who is over 21. It will be allowable for you to drink alcohol before the age of 21 once you can say yuo are more responsible than anyone in the world over the age of 21. The few in the big picture that are less responsble than you often become addicted. What many of you don't know, including not only th punks in school, but miss prom queen, or head cheerleader,a nd football players, the soccer team, band geeks, anyone.. any one of you could become addicted to alcohol whether soon or later in life when you are old enough. You are going to drink and I understand that, but you aren't responsible about it. I will sleep better though knowing that I tried to warn you.

Old 01-16-2004, 03:20 PM   #10
Inactive

Little_Loon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBosley
You are trying to make it sound as though you don't care so it's okay. The opposite is true though. If you are so irresonsible not to care, then you aren't even close to being old enough to allow yourself to drink alcohol. Most of you seem to think it is the "cool" thing to do either because it can let you forget about hings for awhile, or because everyone else is doing it, or you just felt like fitting in, all of you have your reasons, but no not everyone knows what thye are doing, and there will always be those one or two kids that don't know.. the one or two that die every day from alcohol poisoning or drunk driving. You'll never know until it hapens to you though. I don't want ot lecture anyone but rather make people understnad, make young kids as yourselves understand that you are just that..kids. Whether you want ot admit it or not, it doesn't matter that you are underage and more responsible than someone who is over 21. It will be allowable for you to drink alcohol before the age of 21 once you can say yuo are more responsible than anyone in the world over the age of 21. The few in the big picture that are less responsble than you often become addicted. What many of you don't know, including not only th punks in school, but miss prom queen, or head cheerleader,a nd football players, the soccer team, band geeks, anyone.. any one of you could become addicted to alcohol whether soon or later in life when you are old enough. You are going to drink and I understand that, but you aren't responsible about it. I will sleep better though knowing that I tried to warn you.

it's not 21 everywhere, in canada it's 19, in quebec it's 18, so i am legal to drink and there ARE responsable teens out there. how do you know that some of us aren't responsable? every party i've been to i've been the one taking care of everyone, i've been stopping people from doing stupid things and i've been the non-smashed one.

Old 01-16-2004, 04:02 PM   #11

goatofthenever HB User

like little_loon im also the one helping people, like telling them not to drink so much, or helping those who have. also, a lot of people come to me for help with other drugs. i do my research and try to help others be safe with drugs, one being alcohol.

Old 01-18-2004, 08:13 PM   #12

john123 HB User

im 15, the only time i drink is with my brother whos in college and of legal age, and whenever im with him (and his friends) they never drink a lot, especially my brother, he'll drink maybe one beer so that he can take care of me, he doesn't mind cuz its not that often and he can drink as much as he wants any other time.

Old 01-19-2004, 11:55 AM   #13

abbygirl3112 HB User

[FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=2][COLOR=Pink]
ok, i kinda of have a feeling you guys are gonna freak out about this but here goes....
i think drinking is fun, and pretty much safe if you know your limits and you stay in a house without driving...what harm can come from that ifyou are with your friends in a basement and drinking however much you think you can drink? none-no harm can come from that...

Old 01-19-2004, 05:31 PM   #14

Ash16 HB User

i am 16 years old and i do have to say i drink atleast 2 times a week. After you drink so often... your body can start to handle more and more. I can drink ALOT and still be able to recall everything that happened when i was drinking and i can control myself. But one small thing of advice... never drink alone. If you do end up drinking too much , you could end up doing what i did back when i couldn't hold my alcohol... you could pass out, puke...and possibly even choke to death. After all... that is how Jimi Hendrix died... Drinking is supposed to be fun! So know your limits... and watch out for urself! that's wut i do... and so far so good!

Old 01-20-2004, 07:43 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Angel77 HB User

Are you guys listening to what you're saying?? A *seasoned* drinker at 16!?!?!? Not a snowballs chance in he**!
Ash, you say back when I was 15? and couldn't hold my liquor.....oh, so much smarter by 16?? You guys are complicating your life with something that shouldn't even be a factor. And yes, bad things can happen when you drink and stay at a house. If you didn't read my earlier post, this is just what my friend did and it almost cost his life! Safe huh!
You have no idea what you're talking about! Do you know that alcohol causes liver problems, can add to depression, cause you to vomit and aspirate, weaken inhibitions.....so much more...so not worth it. What if you do something w/ a person you regret but were too sloshed to realize the gravity of it until it's spread all around your school?? As a teenager, what people think of you in school is soooo important and having the whole school talking about you will make you want to crawl into a hole.
I had friends who drank in school....and it lead to other things and many of them suffered terribly from their drinking induced stupidity!
Teenagers suffer from a severe case of I'm invincible syndrome and it's only curable by knowledge and growing up.
I challenge every single one of you to contact your local fire department or emergency room and ask about the things they've seen related to teenagers drinking. Or have you thought about how would you feel if an adult is drinking, decides to drive home and kills one of your friends in the process or causes you to lose your ability to walk, mames your face, maybe causes you to be paralized from the neck down? Would it still be cool that they drank?? NO!! But if you ask them why they didn't know they shouldn't drive, ya know what they'll tell ya... I can hold my liquor or I knew I could drive.
The problem with alcohol is that the more you drink the less aware you become of your impairment level. You may feel fine and the only way you'll know that it was an alcohol induced feeling of control is after it's too late and someone ends up hurt or worse.
As for you Ash, after finding out that you could have died by aspirating the vomit and choking...why didn't you come to your senses and realize just how deadly it can be??? It's because teenagers (and yes, many adults) don't have the level of maturity to understand how dangerous it is or plain just don't care.
I'd like to hear how many of you take me up on calling the fire dept. just to find out the statistics on this or look on line for statistics related to teen drinking, then tell me you're still making a responsible choice.
I don't mean to come down hard on you guys, but I don't want you guys to learn how much this could ruin your life after it's tooo late.

Closed Thread