It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2004, 02:38 PM   #1
Veteran

Will M. HB User
I gotta question about V-Day too.

I used to be against this holiday because I thought it was too corporate, and I still think it is, but people keep telling me to get something for this girl I like. Our friendship has been great, so should I get her a little something? If I care about her, it's okay right?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2004, 05:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TomsWife HB User
Re: I gotta question about V-Day too.

You have posted before that you think V-day is too corporate. What do you mean by that? There are 4 definitions fo the word corporate:

1. Formed into a corporation; incorporated: the corporate companies of industrial America.
2. Of or relating to a corporation: corporate assets; corporate culture.
3. United or combined into one body; collective: made a corporate effort to finish the job.
4. Of or relating to a corporative government or political system.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2004, 11:02 AM   #3
Veteran

supertrooper HB User

I think the word he was really looking for was "commercial". As in, just a way for candy and greeting card companies to get rich. I'm going to warn you that SOME people will think you are just cheap.

Back to your question. Sure, get her a little something. Just make sure it doesn't suggest anything more than what you are feeling right now. You can stick it to the big companies by making something yourself (cookies, etc) or a handmade card. Just let it say what you want it to say.

If your principles prevent you from going thru with it, then stand on your principles without climbing on a soapbox.

Happy Valentines Day!

Last edited by supertrooper; 01-30-2004 at 11:15 AM.

Old 01-30-2004, 12:01 PM   #4
Mara

Re: Valentine's Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will M.
I used to be against this holiday because I thought it was too corporate, and I still think it is, but people keep telling me to get something for this girl I like. Our friendship has been great, so should I get her a little something? If I care about her, it's okay right?
[QUOTE=Will M.]

Oh how sluggish the economy would be if it were not for holidays or events to celebrate Holidays tend to be overly commercialized and if they werenít, it would certainly be drab!

For holidays and special events, I bake, cook and do limit gifting. I make the cards, personalized gifts and am comfortable and happy doing so.

Valentines day would be a good time to show the important people in our lives we care, especially family. Every Valentines day, my mom would decorate the table with valentine decorations and make pasta with red sauce. She put a heart of chocolates on our plates. I won't forget how special I felt, by her doing that. That's really the point of it...Letting someone know you care & it is remembered. How do you want to be remembered?

Old 01-30-2004, 12:32 PM   #5
Veteran

Will M. HB User

Yeah, 'commercial' was the word I was looking for. I guess I just feel a little wierd because I have never had a reason to celebrate this day until now. But I do care about her a lot, so I will get her something that lets her know she has friend.

Thanks.

Old 01-30-2004, 03:32 PM   #6
Inactive

musicmaker650 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will M.
Hi Will M.,

just because Valentine's Day comes around, you shouldn't be intimidated by it. A simple card or flowers do wonder's pleasing our favorite people. My wife and I do something special for eachother any time of the year, not just on Valentine's Day. I must admit, my wife's is better at this than I am

Old 02-02-2004, 09:28 AM   #7

neener5151 HB User

I think that Christmas, Halloween and Thanksgiving are a LOT more commercial than Valentine's Day.

Old 02-02-2004, 10:17 AM   #8
Inactive

musicmaker650 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by neener5151
I think that Christmas, Halloween and Thanksgiving are a LOT more commercial than Valentine's Day.
Could it be that the people who complain the loudest that holidays are too commercial, might just be the type of people that feel that they don't deserve to be acknowleged in such a way themselves?

Maybe suffer from poor self-esteem There's that phrase again

Old 02-02-2004, 10:22 AM   #9

neener5151 HB User

Oh, I love holidays, and I celebrate all of them, but I can't see how someone can say Valentine's Day is so commercial and that they don't like to celebrate it... so shouldn't that mean the rest of the holidays to?

There are more commercialized holidays than Valentine's Day, that's all I'm saying. I don't see anything wrong Valentine's Day with the way it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmaker650
Could it be that the people who complain the loudest that holidays are too commercial, might just be the type of people that feel that they don't deserve to be acknowleged in such a way themselves?

Maybe suffer from poor self-esteem There's that phrase again

Old 02-02-2004, 11:42 AM   #10
Veteran

Will M. HB User

There all commercial! As long as someone makes money off of something it's commercial. The important thing is to make your own decisions and not let some corporation decide for you.

Old 02-13-2004, 01:58 PM   #11
Mara

Lets all do our part to stimulate the economy lol

Old 02-13-2004, 02:10 PM   #12
Inactive

musicmaker650 HB User

A simple card, candy or even a favorite CD will do just fine... A single rose is a nice touch too

Old 02-13-2004, 02:45 PM   #13
Veteran

Will M. HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmaker650

A simple card, candy or even a favorite CD will do just fine... A single rose is a nice touch too
I crafted a necklace for the girl that I like! No, not noodles! A real beaded neckless with a sodalite rock centerpiece! A really good one too! I learned how to do it last weekend. I gave it to her today, and she was really excited, because she's really into crafting, and hand-made jewlery. She loved it!

Old 02-13-2004, 03:10 PM   #14
Inactive

musicmaker650 HB User

Very nice Will M.

I'll give my wife a pretty candle and a single rose and card...

Old 02-13-2004, 03:50 PM   #15
Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Maybe quality time together like dinner.

Closed Thread