It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2004, 06:00 AM   #1
(female)

jillybelly HB User
Unhappy restraining order...?

Some of my friends have suggested that I get a restraining order against my abusive ex-boyfriend. We've been apart for a week, and last weekend he approached me threateningly, and then chased me home on ski-doo, trying to catch me. I just managed to get away when his ski-doo broke down...

So, I was wondering if I should in fact get a restraining order, and what would I do to get it, and so on....

I really am afraid. I live in a very small place, and we never used to lock our doors or anything, but now my dad locks EVERYTHING and won't let me go anywhere alone. He makes me always take my cell phone. But yet, my ex still harrasses me. He catches me in school, and on my way out of stores... He gives things to people at school to give to me. I dunno. I just don't feel safe anymore. I feel hurt, betrayed and horrible. I am so alone

thanks,

Jillybelly

Old 02-23-2004, 06:33 AM   #2
Veteran

supertrooper HB User
Re: restraining order...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybelly
Some of my friends have suggested that I get a restraining order against my abusive ex-boyfriend. We've been apart for a week, and last weekend he approached me threateningly, and then chased me home on ski-doo, trying to catch me. I just managed to get away when his ski-doo broke down...

So, I was wondering if I should in fact get a restraining order, and what would I do to get it, and so on....

I really am afraid. I live in a very small place, and we never used to lock our doors or anything, but now my dad locks EVERYTHING and won't let me go anywhere alone. He makes me always take my cell phone. But yet, my ex still harrasses me. He catches me in school, and on my way out of stores... He gives things to people at school to give to me. I dunno. I just don't feel safe anymore. I feel hurt, betrayed and horrible. I am so alone

thanks,

Jillybelly
Your next step is to go to the POLICE. I don't know where you live (obviously some place cold) so I don't know what the laws are there. But you START by reporting his threats to the police. They can probably direct you and your family in the steps to getting a restraining order. You also need to let the adults you talked to at school before know what is going on so they can do their part in keeping you safe. Your safety is their responsibility while you are at school. Like you found before, adults can help if you just give them the chance. Now it's time to get the police involved, BEFORE you get hurt, not AFTER.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2004, 08:32 AM   #3
Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrooper
Your next step is to go to the POLICE. I don't know where you live (obviously some place cold) so I don't know what the laws are there. But you START by reporting his threats to the police. They can probably direct you and your family in the steps to getting a restraining order. You also need to let the adults you talked to at school before know what is going on so they can do their part in keeping you safe. Your safety is their responsibility while you are at school. Like you found before, adults can help if you just give them the chance. Now it's time to get the police involved, BEFORE you get hurt, not AFTER.

It does vary from some states but The police will just file a report then mention you may want to get a restraining order. I would file the report on how he chased you...they may nab him for harrassment or threating. To get the restraining order you'll have to go to your nearest court to file for one.

Old 02-23-2004, 04:08 PM   #4
(female)

bre200789 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybelly

thanks,

Jillybelly

I would get a restraining order. I'm somewhat in the same situation as you, except that this guy isin't my ex but he wants me to break up with my boyfriend, i told him no so he threatned me over the internet and said he was going to kill me and a few friends. But me being the smart way i am(lol yeah right) printed out the conversation that me and him had and told the cops and they're taking care of it right now(it only happened a few weeks ago) i'm probably going to get a restraning order against him but i'm gonna wait till the cops are done investigating the whole case. But really you should tell the cops or something, you'll feel so much safer once they know, trust me. Well hope i helped you some.
Bre

Last edited by bre200789; 02-23-2004 at 04:10 PM.

Closed Thread