It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2004, 04:06 PM   #1

CrAzyBaBy HB User
girls?

anyone here ever tried a diet that like really worked?? and you lost a lot of weight and kept it off? please help me!
(¨`•.•´¨) (¨`•.•´¨)
`•.¸(¨`•.•´¨)¸.•´

Old 03-09-2004, 08:55 AM   #2

fabulousx HB User
Re: girls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzyBaBy
anyone here ever tried a diet that like really worked?? and you lost a lot of weight and kept it off? please help me!
I haven't been on a diet as such. A the start of last year i decided that i would do something about my weight. I was 10 stone 4 pounds and at 5 foot 3 inches i felt really unhealthy and i couldn't wear what i wanted. So i changed my diet over time so that i would be eating a balanced and healthy diet. I didnt just suddenly cut out loads of food groups or anything like that. I simply over a few months substituted certain foods for a healthier option. I cut down on how much fat i was having each day and only ate things like biscuits and chocoalte and fast food at the weekends. I also stuck to the moto breakfast is gold, lunch is silver and diner is poison. i still ate dinner but it was the smallest of my meals in general and i tried not to eat after 6pm. Even though i sometimes didn't stick to this religiously i still kept it as my mainstay. I also did my own toning excercises in the evening( so i couldnt each too much at dinner otherwise i wouldn't be able to do my excercises!) Now, a year later i have lost 1 stone and 6 pounds and i feel a lot happier with my self. For me it was a complete rethink as to what i eat and why i eat it. I only eat when i am hungry now and stop eating when i am satisfied. If i do eat something really bad i simply compensate for it the next day. But this is me and whether it would work for someone else i dont know, i do know that i will never put the weight back on after all the hard work i have done. Hope i have helped.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2004, 10:18 AM   #3
(female)

kind1 HB User
Re: girls?

Hi. That's great that you are trying to get healthier! I have about 10 or so pounds to lose. (Of course talk with a dr. or dietician before starting a nutrition/exercise program.) I took a 6-week nutrition course thru the local hospital. It's even approved by the American Dietetic Association. It was sooo helpful in changing the way that I chose foods and eat. The dietician taught using the food pyramid and food exchanges, and each week, the she would talk about a different exchange including healthy and unhealthy fats, fruits and vegetables, starches and whole grains, meat/poultry/fish/cheese exchanges, milks.

A healthy weight loss is to lose No more than 1/2 to 2 pounds a week. Any more than that, and one is losing only water and muscle, and will gain the pounds back and then some.

Cheese, btw, counts as a meat exchange.

The dietician spoke about the "other" unhealthy (trans-fats) fats in foods -- also know as partially hydrogenated soybean oil. They are in about every kind of food product, even "low-fat" foods. The manufacturers put hydrogen in the soybean oil, thus making it into a solid, enhancing flavor and keeping a longer shelf life. That was what the big stink with Oreo cookies last summer. A consumer wanted Nabisco Oreo to put how many trans-fats were in each serving on their label, and Oreo would not. Some foods now list the trans-fats on their label, and professionals are trying to get regulations in place to require amounts to be put on labels just as saturated fats are.

"3 is the key," was one motto in class when talking about whole grain foods/fiber and their health benefits and low-fat bonus. Btw, a product must say "whole" or "whole grain" before the grain's name in the ingredient. Examples we got for 3 whole grains a day: whole-grain cereal like Shredded Wheat or Cheerios at breakfast, whole-grain bread at lunch like a bagel or pita, and whole-grain pasta or rice at dinner.

Fish or omega-3 fatty acids, polyunsaturated fatty acids, were talked about for their protective benefits of the heart by lowering cholesterol and triglycerides while raising HDL (good - Happy) cholesterol. Omega-3's are also known to help prevent colon cancer, ovarian, prostate and breast cancers. Higher rates of omega-3's were also shown to lower rates of breast cancer. (The Journal of Nutrition - 1999).

Omega-3's are found in fish, nuts, flaxseed/oil, canola oil, walnuts, broccoli, kidney beans and some soy products. They are thought to lessen joint pain and morning stiffness in people with rheumatoid arthritis. Experts recommend eating fish at least 2-3 x a week.

When chosing fruits and veggies, it's healthiest to chose the ones with the most color which have phyto-chemicals to protect against cancers: red peppers, tomatoes, red apples, watermelon, purple grapes, cabbage family, leafy greens. Can cut one's risk of stroke by a third because of their flavenoids (phyto-chemicals), potassium fiber and folate content.

Well, please feel free to print this out :-). I can try to add more later from what I learned in my nutrition program. Just remember that this is a whole new way of life, not just a diet. If one thinks of it as a diet, one will set themself up for failure and reverting back to old, unhealthy ways ;-). Take care.

Closed Thread