It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2004, 11:05 PM   #1
(female)

jillybelly HB User
hmm... read this.

Ok, my dad and I were talking tonight and we discovered this little um... thingy.

Imagine that surrounding every person there was this invisible barrier. Now, some people can only see within this barrier, and these are the people that are only concerned with the daily things in their lives like what they wear or who cheated on whom. Other people however, can see beyond this barrier and these are people who are concerned about the environment, about war and starvation, and about other people in general.

We noticed that most of the people we know fall into one of these two categories.... What do you guys think of this?

I've noticed that I'm in the category that sees outside of the barrier, and I tend to only have fun with people like me, who are concerned about bigger issues. I also think a lot of things are trivial....

I'm so confused right now...

Old 03-14-2004, 12:18 AM   #2

basilisk HB User
Wink Re: hmm... read this.

["concerned about the environment, about war and starvation"]

I feel the same way.

I'm concerned that some politicians use the environment for political reasons, environmental-extremists terrorize the public with prophesies of doom... War is seen as a horrid thing that only evil people could support, even if war is often required to end evil... And starvation is usually caused by human greed, especially in third world countries where local warlords and corrupt governments starve their own nations...

Hmm, pretty nice view on the world eh? %)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2004, 09:26 AM   #3
Veteran

Will M. HB User
Re: hmm... read this.

Yeah, I have a lot to say about certain people in the world, but it might be too radical and cause an uproar on all of healthboards.

It sounds like your worried about people being too apathetic--for instance; people care about what's on TV tonight, rather than caring about something important. I'm not sure if I have a clear view about what your talking about, but feel the same way, and it makes me frustrated and angry!

Old 03-15-2004, 07:07 AM   #4
(male)

jamie17 HB User
Re: hmm... read this.

There's a lot of people like you in the world. It's just that the other people, the don't-see-beyond-their-own-barrier people, ironically, command much more attention from all the other people who can't see meaningfully beyond their own barrier but who somehow manage to be able to see some other fabulous person moving around in their own little glamorous and exciting barrier bubble.

Meanwhile, do you know how cool it is that you and your Dad can have talks like this? If you ever want to totally make your Dad's day, tell him that you really appreciate the relationship you two have.

Closed Thread