It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2004, 04:42 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Anyone whose had the college experience please help!

I know there is another topic on here about college, but mine is for other reasons.

I plan on attending college after high school (well, people are making me so I figured I'd find one to my liking), but this is the problem: I'm scared out of my wits. I know I was very scared when I got into high school...I knew no one, I wasn't familiar with the building, and so forth. But college seems so final, and it sounds so difficult, and I honestly don't think I'm intelligent enough to go.

I mean I'm not worried about parties and all that because I'm not going to go to any (I'm very very very shy and I don't like parties of any kind), but I'm just worried in general. Can anyone give me some reassurance so my nerves will stop throbbing? I'm so scared that I don't know if I could be successful.

Not only am I afraid of that, but I'm afraid I won't be able to take care of myself...I'm afraid if I get a job I'll screw it up somehow, afraid I won't be able to balance a checkbook, make payments, buy a car, or anything like that. I'm just afraid to start my life totally. Please help, someone. The tension is almost unbearable.

Dark Stranger

Old 03-17-2004, 05:12 PM   #2
(female)

kind1 HB User
Re: Anyone whose had the college experience please help!

Hello. You are obviously very apprehensive about the prospect of college and being on your own, and it's normal and common. The good news is that there is no law that one needs to actually live on-campus if and when attending college. (I'm presuming that you're not being told that you must move out and live on-campus.) Not everyone feels emotionally and/or psychologically ready to head out there without structured guidance such as continuing to live at home. Not to worry you even more, but I wonder if you're getting this worried for a reason. Perhaps you're getting a gut feeling. A great motto to live by is to always listen to one's gut.

And if you're not sure what major to take up yet, that's fine too. There's usually a Liberal arts/General studies (or undecided) major available where one takes courses in all disciplines including history, science, social sciences like sociology and psychology, math, and electives. So if you want to matriculate as an official student at school, then you can perhaps choose a general major like that.

I'm sure everything will work out. Just pace yourself. You may even want to take a couple courses at the local community college until you feel more ready to go to a larger school, and you'll also save a lot of money in the process ;-) If you go to any college and commute, you may want to start out going part-time, taking one or two classes and seeing if it's for you. You will also not feel as overwhelmed than as if you are living away, probably having a full course-load, and worrying about all the things you'd mentioned.

And you may attend school, enjoy it and see that you can handle a full course-load (most people that live on-campus go full-time). Just remember that college is elective, and (in most programs) you can attend at your own pace (unlike high school :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2004, 05:30 PM   #3

suzblondie27 HB User
Smile Re: Anyone whose had the college experience please help!

Hey!! I'm in my second semester of college and I felt the same way...i mean i'm 2 hours from home and my boyfriend lives at home....but things worked out...living in the dorms is kool...and u meet lots of people...everyone should be nice...after all u are all in the same boat....i'm kinda shy too...but u'll learn that a simple hi can be very successful in making new friendships...i'm not gonna kid you college can be very stressful...but if you stay on top of ur work and don't procrastinate u'll be fine! Ur other option is to commute...whatever you do i'm sure you will be fine! GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 03-17-2004, 05:57 PM   #4
(female)

mystiq86 HB User

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I feel exactly the same way. I'm terrified about taking control of my own life (balancing the checkbook, paying bills, getting a job, plus maintaining good grades in college). Don't worry your not alone. But do have confidence that you are capable.

Old 03-19-2004, 09:26 PM   #5
(female)

Tree Hugger HB User

Its funny how new things seem SO scary until you actually get into them.
The same month I finished highschool I got on an airplane just me and my dog and I flew 3000 miles away and started a new life. By myself. i wanted the challange, I wanted the change and I felt I needed to live a little. In the past 2 years I have transformed from the stuck up little rich girl with the house keeper and the mommy and daddy to flip EVERY bill and need and WANT to living pretty dirt poor but having just the things i NEED. It was scary. When I boarded that plane I was like "hold up, HOW exactly am I going to do this?"
but survival instinct and that special little thing called GRowing up kicks in and you suddenly realize you handle just about anything that comes your way!
Everything changes when highschool ended and trust me a year after highschool you wont be the same person you were while in school. Its amazing what you can handle if you just trust yourself. Money, bills, (i never got involved with cheque books or credit cards) stuff like that that sounds so scary comes pretty quick when you realize WHAT you need to live.
Giid luck, but rest assured you are NEVER alone. I am four days drive away from my parents but they are your parents, no matter how far you ALWAYS have them to count on right? You will never be alone and everyone at that Collage will feel simular to how you feel!
trust me, things will be ok! Exciting really!!! starting your life is very exciting because YOU now get to decide how it goes! No one else!

Old 03-20-2004, 07:56 AM   #6

always HB User

i'm in the same situation as you...
all i can really say thoughm, is just take it one day at a time... i mean, if you made it this far, odds are you'll be okay in college and oyull make it through... and kudos to you for the "anti-party" feelings... i refuse to go to parties myself... that's where a lot of people screw up their freshman year... you'll probably do better in your studies actually... i'll only be maybe 40 minutes from home, but my boyfriend will be back home [he's a year behind me] and i'm always afraid i'll lose him... and after not-passing my auditions into the music department... trust me... i'm just as afraid as you are...

keep in mind, that everyone for hte most part, goes through all of this... it's just another part of the journey... i'm sure you'll do okay...
take care and stay safe,
~always

Closed Thread