It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2004, 10:13 PM   #1

kwyjibo HB User
Unhappy my sense of humour... :(

Here's my problem:

In the 7th and 8th grade, i used to have a great sense of humour. Some people regarded me even as the class clown. In the 9th grade, my last year of Jr. High, i became somewhat more serious, but still had a good sense of humour and was able to make people laugh. However, something "mysteriously happened" during the summer and for some reason, my sense of humour is gone. I have became way more of a serious person and I HATE IT. I don't tell that many jokes anymore and I don't make (or even try) to get people to laugh. The thing is, I don't know how I became more of a serious person. I WANT TO BE MY OLD SELF =(. How do I reconnect with my old self and become the laid-back funny guy I once was? Thanks

Old 03-22-2004, 10:37 PM   #2
(female)

trail_of_tears HB User
Re: my sense of humour... :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwyjibo
Here's my problem:

In the 7th and 8th grade, i used to have a great sense of humour. Some people regarded me even as the class clown. In the 9th grade, my last year of Jr. High, i became somewhat more serious, but still had a good sense of humour and was able to make people laugh. However, something "mysteriously happened" during the summer and for some reason, my sense of humour is gone. I have became way more of a serious person and I HATE IT. I don't tell that many jokes anymore and I don't make (or even try) to get people to laugh. The thing is, I don't know how I became more of a serious person. I WANT TO BE MY OLD SELF =(. How do I reconnect with my old self and become the laid-back funny guy I once was? Thanks
guess what we all change u have 2 understand u cant grow up being a class clow all the time dont change who u r make urself better

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2004, 10:39 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Katyana HB User

There is a time and place for everything. Sounds to me like you are growing up and maturing and realizing that there are priorities in life, such as education. Seems to me like you have left the "class clown" behind, and rightfully so. Those types of people rarely get very far in life because they are never taken seriously, and tend to goof off in class instead of soaking up the knowledge.

Congratulations on becoming a bit more serious about your studies

Quote:
Here's my problem:

Old 03-22-2004, 11:38 PM   #4

kwyjibo HB User

Well, it's not the fact that I am no longer the class clown that is bothering me. It's the fact that I HAVE NO SENSE OF HUMOUR. I could care less if I don't get back my class clown reputation, I just want to be able to "be funny" again, to make people laugh. What's driving me crazy is that I don't know how that happened. I know that it can't be a heightened focus on more priorities in life, including education, since I've always had a constant average in the high-80s. The way I am right now, I feel like something is missing. I don't feel like myself, it doesn't feel right. I feel miserable as the serious guy who can't make anyone laugh, and I can't exactly find that piece of the puzzle that will help me "be normal" again.

Old 03-23-2004, 08:25 AM   #5
Inactive

eightball61 HB User

This is the part of growing up. Its not that you chose not to be funny. Your body is changing, outlook on life, and you are mentally changing too.

I was once that class clown...I remember making the class laugh at jokes and pranks I did. After I graduated I lost those firends and gained new ones. From there I wanted to put on my best impression so they would like me. Today some of my old friends say I lost my humor that I once had. I tried to be funny again but it just didn't work. Sometimes we should just leave the past alone.

People now will see a different look on you. Hopefully and I am sure but it will be a positive look. People will find your more mature to hang out with and they may not get annoyed on how you are.

I remember groups laughed at me not with me and even though I talked to alot of people I personally didn't hang with them. I think it because they didn't except in there group do to my maturity level. Many girls told me to grow up....and I didn't. But today I am much calmer..At times I wish to be funny but it just doesn't work.

Keep to how you change...Don't force yourself into somethign your not. Let nature change you

Old 03-23-2004, 11:03 AM   #6
Veteran

Will M. HB User

Yeah, your just getting older, it's normal. I'm sure your friends have changed too, and if you were to ever crack a joke again, they'd find it annoying. Sometimes I feel like I'm not funny, but I just be myself. If I try to be funny, I'm not, but sometimes I just say something or do something random that makes people laugh. It also depends on your mood; for instance, if I'm doing something physical, I can be funny. Like one time me and my friends were climbing a tree, and a girl I like was there, and I hung upside-down, made a monkey face, and scared her and she laughed.

Old 03-23-2004, 11:50 AM   #7
Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will M.
Yeah, your just getting older, it's normal. I'm sure your friends have changed too, and if you were to ever crack a joke again, they'd find it annoying. Sometimes I feel like I'm not funny, but I just be myself. If I try to be funny, I'm not, but sometimes I just say something or do something random that makes people laugh. It also depends on your mood; for instance, if I'm doing something physical, I can be funny. Like one time me and my friends were climbing a tree, and a girl I like was there, and I hung upside-down, made a monkey face, and scared her and she laughed.

Its true...We all can make people laugh but the older we have to change the joke to more serious adult like rather than immature pranks or jokes.

As an example, back in school I farted in class a lot and had a fart machine. I had a blast using that thing but when I graduated I had to retire that machine. I don't think the girls would have dug it in college....lol

Old 03-23-2004, 11:56 AM   #8
Veteran

Will M. HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightball61
Its true...We all can make people laugh but the older we have to change the joke to more serious adult like rather than immature pranks or jokes.

As an example, back in school I farted in class a lot and had a fart machine. I had a blast using that thing but when I graduated I had to retire that machine. I don't think the girls would have dug it in college....lol
Hey, farts are always funny!

Old 03-23-2004, 12:08 PM   #9
Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will M.
Hey, farts are always funny!

Well I ain;t saying I stopped farting but I don't do it around new people until I know them nor in college...lol

Old 03-23-2004, 07:17 PM   #10

kwyjibo HB User

Ok, so from what virtually everyone here has told me, I should just give it up (funny man act) and change. It's not as easy as it seems to just accept it, though, since my humour was a prized asset of mine. I seemed to have taken it for granted. Prob. it is better that I am a serious person. The only thing that sux is that I became this serious person virtually overnight. Humour was my way of lightening up the mood and connecting with people, and now i have quite a bit of trouble doing both. I'm guessing that there is no way to get ANY of my sense of humour back, is there? oh well :/

Old 03-24-2004, 07:08 AM   #11
Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Quote:
Ok, so from what virtually everyone here has told me, I should just give it up (funny man act) and change. It's not as easy as it seems to just accept it, though, since my humour was a prized asset of mine. I seemed to have taken it for granted. Prob. it is better that I am a serious person. The only thing that sux is that I became this serious person virtually overnight. Humour was my way of lightening up the mood and connecting with people, and now i have quite a bit of trouble doing both. I'm guessing that there is no way to get ANY of my sense of humour back, is there? oh well :/

There is always ways of getting what you want even if thats humor, but you have to work at it. Some fail and some succeede. Which are you? Only you know...

Last edited by eightball61; 03-24-2004 at 10:14 AM.

Old 03-24-2004, 09:46 AM   #12

awkward HB User

I'm not trying to sound like I'm a muse or anything. I'm only 21, but I remember going through the stuff you are going through now. (Like, a year ago. I think I'm over it now. I HOPE I'm over it .)

Changing was so scary. I worried about "losing myself" or not "being who I truly was" or being "fake." I think the thing that everyone was trying to avoid was being a "poser" or something like that. The thing is, being an adolecent is all about puting on different personalities and trying them on for size. It's natural and it happens whether you want it to or not. The personality that suits you best will stick

I used to get really bent out of shape about it, but when I got to college, I learned to take changes in stride.

Incedentally, I used to be a serious, nervous little wallflower in junior high and became the class clown during my last two years of high school . (I was actually voted "Wittiest" of my senior class.) Being a clown was a lot of fun. I liked being the center of attention and I felt really smart when I could make the whole class laugh through an entire period.

The class clown in me is mostly gone now, though I make make people laugh by occasionally heckling my professors . Every phase of who I was in junior high and high school has contributed to who I am now. The Wallflower gave me reserve and the Clown gave me confidence.

I've just made a long ramble, but I hope it helps in some small way.

Old 03-27-2004, 03:46 PM   #13

starwarzgangsta HB User

That happened to me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought i was the only one. I was most school spirited and everyone loved me but now. I am so quiet and I left my old funny cool bestfriends because i realized I don't like it how they act anymore. I dont know what to do either but I want to know what's wrong with me too!

Old 03-27-2004, 06:16 PM   #14
Inactive

TheJukeBoxHero HB User

dudes i think a lot of it is genetics my dads a weirdo in a funny way but then shy, and my moms really outgoing, i got both, and with me i was always the class clown since grade school and its only gotten that way more! mabye when im older it will go away but i hope not cus thats how ive gotten to know so many people, and because there is no way id ever be the "cool guy" instead of the funny guy. people laugh their heads off at little things i do, things such as eating/drinking/walking/playing drums and then if i try ot be serious they laugh harder because they think its funny how i try to not be funny....i guess that might be bad in a way because that means people will never think im serious about anything or take me seriously. o welll!!

Closed Thread