It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2004, 07:59 PM   #1

kwyjibo HB User
Exclamation Need major help regarding football team :(

Ok, here's my problem:

I entered grade 10 in the beginning of this year. Tryouts for the football team were a few days after school started, but I didn't attend the tryouts, since I was scared I would not make the team. I started working out and now, I'm in the best shape of my life. Now, I believe that I could tryout for the team successfully. However, the fact that I did not join the team during my grade 10 year puts me at a severe disadvantage. I heard you could try out for seniors if you didn't do juniors, but with all the competition, I don't think I'd make it. It is very possible that I could do Juniors (w/ all the gr 10s next year), but I'm not sure if i'll be eligible. If I were to make it on to the team, I'd want to be a punter/kicker (I got strong leg muscles), or else, be a wide receiver (I'm a pretty fast runner w/ long legs). However, I'm pretty much fine with anything else. So anyways, here are my questions:

1) Do you think I have a chance to make either team? (It doesn't matter if im a backup or not)

2) Which of the two teams should I try out for?

3) What position do you think suits me the best? (I'm 16, 6'0", and 175 lbs, with strong leg muscles and broad shoulders. I'm somewhat big, but I'm not a tank)

4) What advice do you guys have incase I go for tryouts? You see, I've never tried out for a school team (Obese until 8th grade), and I don't know what to expect. Also, I have a big fear of rejection and I constantly think I'm not good enuff, even though my cousin, who was on a football team, says I could possibly make it. You could probably tell I am very insecure about my physical shape (due to my past obesity).

Thank you guys very much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2004, 08:26 AM   #2
Inactive

eightball61 HB User
Re: Need major help regarding football team :(

Well first off the best decision is go for the try outs. If you don't make it you still have another to years left of high school to try. In most high school the have a Sr. team and a jr. team and the way it work if you don't make the SR. team you can play for the Jr. team. Even though you don't make it the jr. team will give you time to play and get better for the next season...Just like practice.

Don't sweat it and go try out...you only in high school once.

Old 04-08-2004, 11:08 AM   #3
(male)

Jonesy HB User

I don't know what the teams are like or anything like that, but as a general piece of advice, go for whatever you decide and make sure you give it 100%, that way whether it goes well or not, you will know you did all you could. Don't let past problems hold you back. I lived like a recluse for 2 years with acne (hence me being a member on these boards- 99% of my posts are on the acne board), so I know where you're coming from ie. needing to overcome feelings from a problem you used to have. It obviously affected you mentally, as acne did me. Life's too short, get a finger in every pie going while you have the chance.

Old 04-08-2004, 02:31 PM   #4

kwyjibo HB User

Well, just going to tryouts seems simple enough. However, the fact that I have never been to a tryout before, along with my insecurity about my physical ability, makes it very hard for me to push myself to try out for the team. For someone going into gr 11, trying out for the seniors team w/out joining the juniors team (or trying out for the juniors team), what should I expect? What will they make me do? What's it like? Any advice will be appreciated. thnx.

Last edited by kwyjibo; 04-08-2004 at 03:13 PM.

Closed Thread